Serie A 2013-2014

Zanetti

It is not as good as Serie A,

Is that correct?

The top teams are slightly worse, and the worst teams are a bit worse than Serie A's worse teams, if that makes sense. What *is* the case is that it's emerging as Brazil's middle class strengthens and its economy grows. It's certainly not a bad league at all, Brazil's Serie A, and in my opinion it's comfortably overtaken Argentina's after a poor start to the century.

At the moment Corinthians are, in terms of income, bringing in maybe 60% of what Milan manage, but that's set to grow if they can get back up the league this year. I really doubt Pato's taken a pay cut to go back to Brazil.

tl;dr: yes, it's not as good, but this isn't the same as throwing away his ambition. It's not like he's gone to China or Qatar or something.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The top teams are slightly worse, and the worst teams are a bit worse than Serie A's worse teams, if that makes sense. What *is* the case is that it's emerging as Brazil's middle class strengthens and its economy grows. It's certainly not a bad league at all, Brazil's Serie A, and in my opinion it's comfortably overtaken Argentina's after a poor start to the century.

At the moment Corinthians are, in terms of income, bringing in maybe 60% of what Milan manage, but that's set to grow if they can get back up the league this year. I really doubt Pato's taken a pay cut to go back to Brazil.

tl;dr: yes, it's not as good, but this isn't the same as throwing away his ambition. It's not like he's gone to China or Qatar or something.

I never did say it was a bad league, just not as good as the Italian Serie A.

I was maybe exaggerating but what I was more getting is that he still has the potential to be Europe's very best striker, christ he is still only 23. Playing for a mid-table Brazilian team will not help him fulfill his potential.

Oh dear.

The Brazilian top tier of football is not on the same level as Serie A, yet.

Brazilian football is increasing in quality, while Serie A is having a decline, but they are not equal in terms of quality.

So he's not throwing his talent away then is he. He's going to a good standard of football, equal in my opinion to Serie A. Hardly a backwater like USA, Australia or China.

I do watch Brazilian football, thanks for asking.

So he's not throwing his talent away then is he. He's going to a good standard of football, equal in my opinion to Serie A. Hardly a backwater like USA, Australia or China.

I do watch Brazilian football, thanks for asking.

Good* but not as good as the Italian Serie A, and will not fulfill his potential playing against lesser opposition.

Good is relative of course, and our own opinions.

I was maybe exaggerating but what I was more getting is that he still has the potential to be Europe's very best striker, christ he is still only 23. Playing for a mid-table Brazilian team will not help him fulfill his potential.

If Messi, Ronaldo and Falcao are killed in freak lightning strikes, he might have made the top three.

I think it's unfortunate that Brazil's league system is still viewed as a poorly funded, disorganised clusterfuck, when in recent years they've made real efforts to sort it out, both in terms of league structure and infrastructure. It's not the huge step down you might think. Corinthians are also fucking loaded, and are having a slightly off-season. It's extremely harsh to say he's pissed away his talent, after spending a few seasons surrounded by utter mediocrity in Milan.

If Messi, Ronaldo and Falcao are killed in freak lightning strikes, he might have made the top three.

I think it's unfortunate that Brazil's league system is still viewed as a poorly funded, disorganised clusterfuck, when in recent years they've made real efforts to sort it out, both in terms of league structure and infrastructure. It's not the huge step down you might think. Corinthians are also fucking loaded, and are having a slightly off-season. It's extremely harsh to say he's pissed away his talent, after spending a few seasons surrounded by utter mediocrity in Milan.

Yeah, what this guy said. It's fashionable to totally fetishise South American football (particularly among people who don't actually watch it) but you've taken it the other way here. And Corinthians aren't mid-table at all. One bad season in the league doesn't change that they're Libertadores champions. If you're going to go to South America, a club like Corinthians (or Sao Paulo, or even Flamengo once they get their act together) is where you go. Ronaldinho's messing around at Atletico Mineiro - that's a waste.

Yeah, what this guy said. It's fashionable to totally fetishise South American football (particularly among people who don't actually watch it) but you've taken it the other way here. And Corinthians aren't mid-table at all. One bad season in the league doesn't change that they're Libertadores champions. If you're going to go to South America, a club like Corinthians (or Sao Paulo, or even Flamengo once they get their act together) is where you go. Ronaldinho's messing around at Atletico Mineiro - that's a waste.

:blink:

Seriously?

Fucking hell. I haven't seen anything of him in Brazil since various youTube football of his battle with Neymar in a ridiculously good Flamengo - Santos game a while back that finished 5-4 or something.

Also, Corinthians have been a South American superpower for some time. Didn't Tevez go there from the Argentinian League when pretty much everyone assumed he'd go to Europe?

Hey, just an opinion.

Playing against a lower standard of opposition will not help him realise his potential.

Many of you seem to have an issue with the idea that the standard of opposition in the Brazilian Serie A isn't the same as the Italian Serie A, but surely you must realise that there is a bit more quality in Italy than Brazil, no?

:blink:

Seriously?

Fucking hell. I haven't seen anything of him in Brazil since various youTube football of his battle with Neymar in a ridiculously good Flamengo - Santos game a while back that finished 5-4 or something.

In his defence, Flamengo had allegedly stopped paying for him. But to go from there to Atletico Mineiro was just bizarre.

Also, Corinthians have been a South American superpower for some time. Didn't Tevez go there from the Argentinian League when pretty much everyone assumed he'd go to Europe?

Yep but that was in large part due to the investment/agency company MSI. Not that third-party finance ever failed to happen elsewhere, of course.

Hey, just an opinion.

Playing against a lower standard of opposition will not help him realise his potential.

Many of you seem to have an issue with the idea that the standard of opposition in the Brazilian Serie A isn't the same as the Italian Serie A, but surely you must realise that there is a bit more quality in Italy than Brazil, no?

I don't have issue with that - I acknowledged that this was the case, particularly as you go down the table. But it's not a waste in the way you're making out. He's not disappearing back to his hometown to play in obscurity - from Corinthians he could easily make the step back to Europe with little hassle.

In any case to be the absolute best of the best you need to play for a club that is consistently in the last 16/8 of the Champions League, and that club ain't Milan.

In any case to be the absolute best of the best you need to play for a club that is consistently in the last 16/8 of the Champions League, and that club ain't Milan.

And it also isn't going to be Corinthians anytime soon is it? See that's where I'm getting at. Surely he could have went to PSG and maybe attempted to try and get far in the CL, or maybe try La Liga or the EPL?

And it also isn't going to be Corinthians anytime soon is it? See that's where I'm getting at. Surely he could have went to PSG and maybe attempted to try and get far in the CL, or maybe try La Liga or the EPL?

It's not going to be PSG either, not for another good few years. Who in England would have signed him?

It's not going to be PSG either, not for another good few years. Who in England would have signed him?

Chelsea? I don't really know who would sign him, but he would have a better chance fulfilling his potential in the leagues than I mentioned than with Corinthians.

I don't know if that's sarcasm or not :(

I remember James Horncastle and David Swan tweeting about the injury problems he was experiencing over the last couple of years and how he was often rushed back without proper treatment / recovery time which only seemed to exacerbate the problems he was having.

Milan always suffer injury problems and that's what they blamed Juventus winning the league on last season, who had very few injury problems. If you follow @themilanguy on Twitter, he went on a long rant about it (obviously with a slight Milan bias) but the points he made were fair enough and they did seem to have a lot of players out and seemingly never managed to get back to full fitness.

while Serie A is having a decline

Ugh.

Chelsea? I don't really know who would sign him, but he would have a better chance fulfilling his potential in the leagues than I mentioned than with Corinthians.

The way I look at it is this; he's had a turgid time at Milan recently. He has hardly got any game time and he probably won't due to how well SES is getting on. If he goes to Corinthians for maybe two seasons, he'll get recognised again. He'll maybe be banging them in constantly and he'll get all the praise, and then perhaps go back to Europe. I'm not going to compare European football to South American football, I don't watch any, but it's where he can make a name for himself again. If he doesn't score goals, fair enough, and he probably wouldn't if he had went to PSG or Chelsea or whoever.

Why adopt such a tone?

Because you're booting the arse out of it. You could have just retracted the no ambition part and left it at that. I don't think anyone's disagreeing that Serie A's a bigger, richer league, just that you're making Brazil sound like it's Finland or something.

Because you're booting the arse out of it. You could have just retracted the no ambition part and left it at that. I don't think anyone's disagreeing that Serie A's a bigger, richer league, just that you're making Brazil sound like it's Finland or something.

By suggesting that it is not as good as the Italian Serie A?

Not really..

Archived