Serie A 2013-2014

Zanetti

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hellas Verona supporters are as bad as it gets. Obviously there are thousands of normal folk who support them too but their ultras really are the worst of the worst.

Chievo are playing a Coppa Italia match tomorrow against Reggina at 3 o'clock which is really bizarre.

Over the years Coppa Italia games kick off at bizarre times. Not sure why as it makes no sense.

It's a traditional Italy thing.

There is generally a "half day" through the week. In the Afternoons Schools/shops/post offices/dentists used to close. It was a regional thing. It gave them an early afternoon when there was little to low trade. Some regions closed on Tuesdays. Some on Wednesdays. It's been disappearing a bit due to multi-national corporations taking over and opening 24/7(in the same way as the British High Street is dying at supermarkets).

It's a traditional Italy thing.

There is generally a "half day" through the week. In the Afternoons Schools/shops/post offices/dentists used to close. It was a regional thing. It gave them an early afternoon when there was little to low trade. Some regions closed on Tuesdays. Some on Wednesdays. It's been disappearing a bit due to multi-national corporations taking over and opening 24/7(in the same way as the British High Street is dying at supermarkets).

The crowd today at the Chievo match was hilariously small. I counted less than 100 people in the stadium about 20 minutes before kick off (yes, I actually counted them...), and I'd guess it went up to somewhere between 300-400 by kick off. Just shows that these kind of times don't really work anymore, and how little interest there is in the cup at this stage, considering this is a team with an average attendance of around 10,000.

It was also a really terrible match.

• 3 weeks later...

I really didn't want him to sign for Fiorentina. I thought it was going to be a terrible idea, though, so do most Italian journalists. It's turned out to be another master-stroke from Montella.

Chievo put an end to Roma's winning streak and also become the first team to stop them scoring since, well, the last time the two clubs met in May last season in Verona. Cracking result for Chievo who are playing really well right now.

http://www.football-italia.net/28574/napoli-docked-points-duo-banned

The betting match fixing investigation has seen Napoli docked two points, while Paolo Cannavaro and Gianluca Grava have been banned for six months.

The Italian Football Federation confirmed the punishments this morning, while also fining the club €70,000.

The outfit were put on trial as part of the probe into match-fixing given the actions of their former goalkeeper Matteo Gianello.

It’s alleged that Gianello tried to fix a May 2010 match against Sampdoria, by asking Cannavaro and Grava to participate.

The duo, however, are said to have refused, but they have been charged with failing to report the match-fixing attempt.

Cannavaro and Grava have insisted they knew nothing of Gianello’s intentions.

The custodian, currently with no club, was also banned for three years and three months today.

Given that Gianello was with Napoli at the time, the FIGC have punished the Azzurri for being ‘objectively responsible’.

Napoli have now slipped from joint third to fifth in the standings.

Napoli are set to appeal, as are the two players still on their books.

Interesting start to this weekend's fixtures, last night Juventus scored two goals against Cagliari in injury time to win 3-1 and Pescara score with the last kick of the ball to beat Catania 2-1. Inter have drawn 1-1 ar home to Genoa this afternoon too.

The rest of the matches kick off at 3pm today (2pm UK).

Interesting start to this weekend's fixtures, last night Juventus scored two goals against Cagliari in injury time to win 3-1 and Pescara score with the last kick of the ball to beat Catania 2-1. Inter have drawn 1-1 ar home to Genoa this afternoon too.

The rest of the matches kick off at 3pm today (2pm UK).

With Livaja missing a sitter towards the end of the game. Link.

Palermo 0-3 Fiorentina.

Two penalties for Fiorentina, one where Jovetic "Pirlo'd it" but another very good performance from Viola and I think that's them up to third now. As incredible as it is, it's amazing to see how Palermo have fallen in recent years too. They were competing in Europe a couple of seasons ago and now they're fighting it out in the relegation places. Though, it's not too dis-similar to what happened to Fiorentina in recent times...

AC Milan getting spanked 3-0 by Roma after half an hour. Not an avid Serie A fan since its channel 4 days but I'm shocked at just how bad Milan are. Two simple headers for Burdisso and Osvado and they were carved open far too easily for the third. Good finish by Lamela though.

Roma's defence looks none to clever either mind you and El Sharawy should have equalised when he was though on goal. Entertaining stuff.

Archived