The LOLverpool Thread

Alan Hansen's imput this morning in The Telegraph :rolleyes:

"Whatever moral high ground you take over Luis Suárez’s goal, no footballer would ever ask for a goal to be disallowed.

It has never happened in the history of the game. It will never happen in my lifetime."

Maybe he only watches Match of the Day highlights and LFC TV and didn't see Miroslav Klose recently ...knowledge of football and research for his article in his own words.... Shoddy !

It's all just a bit of sad reflection on the game. Non league side just delighted to be drawn against Liverpool with it's history. Make a great gesture prematch in putting the Hillsborough victims names on 96 seats left vacant. Concede an early goal to a striker who probably gets paid more in a month than their whole team is worth. Suarez handles and knows it but sheepishly continues finishing off a side who shouldn't be a challenge to them any way.

You do something like that on the golf course and your name is mud....as mentioned snooker players call fouls on themselves regularly.

Just sad

Where do we draw the line when it comes to branding a player a "cheat"?

If a player knows he was offside for the goal he scored but doesn't own up, is he a cheat? If a player doesn't own up to committing a foul in the box that wasn't penalised, is he a cheat?

And indeed, at what point should a player own-up to handball? You could end up having someone own up to a "legitimate" handball through fear of being branded a cheat.

"Cheating", as we're calling it, occurs almost constantly within the game. From shirt-pulling to straying offside to pulling someone down when they've edged past you.

Suarez's offence is a more obvious example because its directly resulted in a goal. It looked like a momentary reaction to the ball coming back at him and once its happened, you can't honestly expect him to knock the ball away from an empty net. In the end, its won Liverpool the game and thats what Suarez is put on the pitch to achieve.

A player admitting to a referee's decision to be wrong is a rarity. It's cheating for sure, but the problem here is that it's been exaggerated because of who's involved.

Di Canio did it one time, but given that it was Di Canio, the argument goes out of the window, seeing as he was definately a cheat.

EDIT: Also, cheating is branded into the minds of footballers. So comparing it to other sports where fair play is the norm is stupid.

Edited by DomDom

I remember the Shaktar striker that scored against Nordsjaelland by getting the ball when his team were getting possesion back from Shaktar. He broke an unwritten rule and was man-handled and subsequently banned. Suarez broke a written rule but got away with it because the officials missed the incident.

Mansfield have just been cheated by that little rodent Suarez. A clear hand-ball from him for the 2nd goal and he also found it funny.

A racist, a thug, a cheat and a c**t.

Whereas (and I say this with Man Utd being my favoured English team) if this had happened to RVP you'd probably not have heard too much about it, apart from "referee mistake costs Mansfield".

Suarez, very much like Balotelli, gets a raw deal from the media-some of which is his own doing of course. The difference is that Suarez is actually a good player so he gets some praise for his football abilities.

Tell me please, who was the last footballer who stopped a game in its tracks to tell a referee they had handled the ball?

The abuse of Suarez is very much like the abuse Beckham used to get and it's built purely from jealousy.

I remember the Shaktar striker that scored against Nordsjaelland by getting the ball when his team were getting possesion back from Shaktar. He broke an unwritten rule and was man-handled and subsequently banned. Suarez broke a written rule but got away with it because the officials missed the incident.

The difference between the two incidents here is actually similar to bringing up snooker and golf. The hitting the ball back thing is something that players have done for as long as I remember, so it's the done thing. What the Shaktar player did was the exception to the rule for that situation.

That isn't what happened here.

I think a lot of people forget what it's like to actually play football. When i played, the only thing i really cared about was winning. I wouldn't go out my way to cheat, but if the ball hit my hand and i scored as a result, i'd just be thankful that i got that opportunity. Perhaps it's different in golf and tennis because it's an individual sport, but when you've got a team to think about then purveying yourself as a bastion of honesty and fair play doesn't really come into it.

I think a lot of people forget what it's like to actually play football. When i played, the only thing i really cared about was winning. I wouldn't go out my way to cheat, but if the ball hit my hand and i scored as a result, i'd just be thankful that i got that opportunity. Perhaps it's different in golf and tennis because it's an individual sport, but when you've got a team to think about then purveying yourself as a bastion of honesty and fair play doesn't really come into it.

Aye and you claim everything. The people that are up in arms about things like this are usually the people who have no experience of playing football at any level, other than five a sides with their chums.

Aye and you claim everything. The people that are up in arms about things like this are usually the people who have no experience of playing football at any level, other than five a sides with their chums.

Which is 99.99% of P&B. And which is a level anyway.

It's a perfectly legitimate stance to take, whether you've played football or not.

The point is, not every player would have done what Suarez did, and he's rightly getting pelters for it. Because he's an odious individual.

Why do people not do this in rugby but do it in football?

It's not natural, at all, it's learned. And people could easily stop it.

There are less breaks in rugby as such. Also, footballers are mostly c***s.

Which is 99.99% of P&B. And which is a level anyway.

It's a perfectly legitimate stance to take, whether you've played football or not.

The point is, not every player would have done what Suarez did, and he's rightly getting pelters for it. Because he's an odious individual.

I did not see the goal. It is not his job to admit to it.

The "I've played 11 a side football" are the worst snobs going.

Not really.

There are less breaks in rugby as such. Also, footballers are mostly c***s.

Not really.

Less breaks in rugby blink.gif

Have you ever watched rugby? It's a constant fucking break laugh.gif

I disagree, footballers could very easily stop complaining to the referee and cheating. They simply choose not to.

And they are, really, you're not the first poster to claim to offer some real insight because you've played 11 a side football before.

Why do people not do this in rugby but do it in football?

It's not natural, at all, it's learned. And people could easily stop it.

there is constant game within a game cheating going on in rugby. richie macaw and the all blacks are masters of it.

Less breaks in rugby blink.gif

Have you ever watched rugby? It's a constant fucking break laugh.gif

I disagree, footballers could very easily stop complaining to the referee and cheating. They simply choose not to.

And they are, really, you're not the first poster to claim to offer some real insight because you've played 11 a side football before.

Used to play rugby as well actually. In football, if it goes out for a throw in then invariably there is some doubt about who touched it last. I made the point that I would always claim it, even if I knew it was not my throw in.

In rugby, there is never really any doubt about who carried the ball out or kicked it out so there is no room for rugby players to contest the decision.

Regarding your last point, I am not saying I am offering "real insight". Just saying that (guessing by your reaction) that you have no experience of playing football competitively and thus can't really offer a proper view on my opinion that footballers should be claiming everything.