The LOLverpool Thread

The difference for me is - fair enough for some cheating in a majorly important game to get a result but against Macclesfield, when you are Liverpool and ahead. Meh, it just seems a bit pointless to me. Liverpool should have won the game comfortably regardless. It's just cheating for the sake of it.

The game was far from dead at that point. Also, it's not like Liverpool don't have a history of fucking things up against smaller sides.

What's also been missed is that it was a split second between the ball hitting the keeper and coming off of the hand of Suarez which, btw, was already in the air. It's one thing to say "his instinct should be to tell the ref" which is naive in itself, but the hand was up, the ball was going to it, and he used it. Big deal.

Also the stuff about the celebration is even worse. At least the handball is debateable as to how deliberate and how bad it actually was. The celebration was just his celebration. And the commentator was acting like it was a special one because it was a handball.

Thankfully the post-match analysis from all involved wasn't as stupid.

What's also been missed is that it was a split second between the ball hitting the keeper and coming off of the hand of Suarez which, btw, was already in the air. It's one thing to say "his instinct should be to tell the ref" which is naive in itself, but the hand was up, the ball was going to it, and he used it. Big deal.

So, you agree, he cheated.

Em, I believe it's called "sportsmanship"?

just like players claiming for a throw in that they know came off them last, or going down wanting a foul even though they know the tackle was clean

also, why you felt the need to mention ibrox when replying to a celtic fan is beyond me, some people just cant forget about rangers :blink:

Lots of players would have done what Suarez did. As far as I'm concerned, he's being slated for this because of who he is.

He won the game for his team, which is the important thing given that's what he's paid a ridiculous amount of money to do.

Henry was slated for his handball against Ireland and people in general held him in regard so I don't think it's the case that this is solely about who he is at all, though admittedly it doesn't help that it was him.

It's more to do with the fact that this was against a conference team to whom all the odds were stacked against anyway. Liverpool should have won easily enough without needing to cheat. Most football fans can identify with the 'big team getting the benefit of wrong decisions' scenario.

It also doesn't help that people try and justify it as ok - the ends don't always justify the means.

just like players claiming for a throw in that they know came off them last, or going down wanting a foul even though they know the tackle was clean

also, why you felt the need to mention ibrox when replying to a celtic fan is beyond me, some people just cant forget about rangers :blink:

Dinna flatter yersef. Just years of completely unbiased refereeing experiences of said cesspit seemed like the best example to quote, ken? Also didna know post I replied to was a cellik supporter, because Ireally don't give a flying furk

It's more to do with the fact that this was against a conference team to whom all the odds were stacked against anyway. Liverpool should have won easily enough without needing to cheat. Most football fans can identify with the 'big team getting the benefit of wrong decisions' scenario

Again though, how conscious a decision this was from Suarez is debateable. The analysis post-match rightly showed his reaction before the ball even crossed the line. He knew he'd done something stupid and knew a free kick would be given.

So the occaision didn't really matter.

Again though, how conscious a decision this was from Suarez is debateable. The analysis post-match rightly showed his reaction before the ball even crossed the line. He knew he'd done something stupid and knew a free kick would be given.

So the occaision didn't really matter.

I think it matters to the people who are slating him, more than who he is, it's more who they are cheating.

I'm sorry but I don't believe for a second that it wasn't deliberate.

Everyone wins here:

P&B gets a chance to get angry about Liverpool and how they're shite and had to resort to cheating to beat Mansfield.

The press and pundits get another opportunity to moan about Suarez.

Mansfield fans can say they were cheated and are unlucky not to be going to Anfield for a replay.

As for the game itself, Liverpool should have won more comfortably than they did. Note that the press conferences at the end didn't exactly produce angry, controversial reactions either.

We can stand here and debate the merits of Suarez's previous deliberate handballs and whether or not this was one of them all we like, but the fact is this - the referee and his assistant didn't spot it, the buck rests with them.

Edited by Michael W

I do agree what Suarez did was wrong, no doubting that, but the media freaking out about him kissing his wrist afterwards is quite amusing. Don't know if you've noticed but he does that after just about EVERY GOAL HE SCORES!!! :lol: But no, it is rather embarrassing that it essentially took a handball to put a non-league team out the FA Cup.

He didn't think it would stand FFS, look at the way he put the in the net.

I expect a huge debate on Talkshite tomorrow about goal line technology and using the 4th official for more than substitutions.

Already on.

We can stand here and debate the merits of Suarez's previous deliberate handballs and whether or not this was one of them all we like, but the fact is this - the referee and his assistant didn't spot it, the buck rests with them.

It's an interesting hypothesis that players are well within their rights to rampantly cheat but the referees are the ones who get hammered for not noticing it.

Scum, eh?

Where do we draw the line when it comes to branding a player a "cheat"?

If a player knows he was offside for the goal he scored but doesn't own up, is he a cheat? If a player doesn't own up to committing a foul in the box that wasn't penalised, is he a cheat?

And indeed, at what point should a player own-up to handball? You could end up having someone own up to a "legitimate" handball through fear of being branded a cheat.