Limmy's Show

jamamafegan

I don't understand this vote, will they just show a random episode of the chosen show?

It'll be a Christmas/Hogmanay episode of that particular programme, if possible. I know the Scotch & Wry one will be the Hogmanay show from 1992.

This.

I've tried to give it a chance and watched it two or three times, but turned over the channel out of sheer boredom. It's like an entire show of that awkward moment when the group weirdo cracks a joke and no one laughs at all. Utterly fucking root.

This, a hundred times this.

Why do folk keep revisiting this thread despite apparently hating the show?

I've genuinely never been on this thread before, I just came on to see if anyone genuinely found it funny, I'm shocked.

This, a hundred times this.

Sound. You can remove his dick from your mouth now.

If you "can't genuinely understand why anyone would find this funny" then you must be pretty stupid. People have different senses of humour, I might not find some things funny but I can understand why others might. Maybe if you read through the thread you might get an idea.

Sound. You can remove his dick from your mouth now.

If you "can't genuinely understand why anyone would find this funny" then you must be pretty stupid. People have different senses of humour, I might not find some things funny but I can understand why others might. Maybe if you read through the thread you might get an idea.

Chances are if you find Limmy's show funny you must be pretty stupid tbh. Regardless of the fact that people will have different senses of humour, Limmy's show is awful and to find it funny you'd need to be verging on simple.

Chances are if you find Limmy's show funny you must be pretty stupid tbh. Regardless of the fact that people will have different senses of humour, Limmy's show is awful and to find it funny you'd need to be verging on simple.

If you don't find him funny, that's fine. Do you have to come on this thread and say "anyone who doesn't agree with me is stupid" though?

Bollocks. I hate shite like Mrs Brown's Boys and I think the comedy is very simple but I don't think any less of people who enjoy it. The stuff Limmy does is very smart, it's weird but then so was stuff like Monty Python and it will always be highly regarded as will Limmy.

To say that for someone find a certain thing funny they must be stupid is, well, stupid. If you honestly believe that everyone that finds Limmy's Show is 'verging on simple' then you've kind of shown yourself to be both a bit simple yourself and a bit of a dick tbh.

I have some sympathy with both points of view here. Most people I know who have voiced an opinion on the subject have said that they don't find Limmy remotely funny. However, the Dee Dee Goes to Yoker sketch is pretty much the only evidence needed to establish Limmy's credentials as an erratic comedy genius. Watching that reminded me of Jam-era Chris Morris: it was as hallucinatory, surreal and inspired as anything I've seen from a Scottish comedian who isn't Armando Iannucci. Several other sketches (the bittersweet Millport one springs to mind) confirm his maverick talent. The problem is that he's just not consistent enough. It's hit and miss stuff with many more misses than hits. Still, his occasional hits more than justify his inclusion in the schedule. At his best Limmy is funnier than everything else in BBC Scotland's comedy output combined.

Edited by Frankie S

It's hit and miss stuff with many more misses than hits. Still, his occasional hits more than justify his inclusion in the schedule. At his best Limmy is funnier than everything else in BBC Scotland's comedy output combined.

All sketch shows are hit and miss but The Limmy Show is one of the few programmes being broadcast right now that I make a point of watching every week. You never know what you are going to get and in the age of generic programming that is something in its self.

My theory on sketch shows is it is a bit like first and second year at University. You are studying three or four different subjects, you have lots of essays to write on diverse topics and you can't really give everything your best shot so you write one strong essay, an OK one, and one's that's a bit shite but you have to hand in something.

Writing a non sketch show is like third and fourth year, you are studying one subject and that's when you can really concentrate and produce your best work because everything you write, even if it's for different classes is related somehow to the general subject.

What I'd like to see is Limmy write a non sketch show. He's got the talent to produce something really memorable.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that there are far more misses than hits. Does Series 2 see any improvement? Willing to give it another shot if it gets more consistant.

Series 2 is better than Series 1. New actors who are far better and more consistency IMO.