Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

See the unionists who are complaining they are losing their British identity over this, do they seriously believe they have anything in common with people on the mainland?

I doubt people in say Rochester really believe they have anything in common with the unionists over in Northern Ireland.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See the unionists who are complaining they are losing their British identity over this, do they seriously believe they have anything in common with people on the mainland?

I doubt people in say Rochester really believe they have anything in common with the unionists over in Northern Ireland.

Rochester is in Kent - Kent has an Orange Lodge. I rest my case.

That's pretty sad, shouldn't NI maybe have its own identity?

I've always felt that unionists in/ from Northern Ireland, at least the ones i've come into contact with or seen in the media, have an idea of 'Britishness' that differs greatly from that which can be found in any other part of the UK. This could be argued to have the effect of distancing them from the rest of the UK rather than bringing them closer, ironically making them 'less British'.

But i guess something like that is always going to happen when you attempt to polarize yourself from people with a different political opinion.

Having a strong 'Northern Irish' identity would probably help a lot, but one side just wants to be consumed by Ireland and the other just seems to want to be consumed by the UK.

ETA - I imagine the exact same can be said for the other side, but i have less experience of it.

I've always felt that unionists in/ from Northern Ireland, at least the ones i've come into contact with or seen in the media, have an idea of 'Britishness' that differs greatly from that which can be found in any other part of the UK. This could be argued to have the effect of distancing them from the rest of the UK rather than bringing them closer, ironically making them 'less British'.

But i guess something like that is always going to happen when you attempt to polarize yourself from people with a different political opinion.

Having a strong 'Northern Irish' identity would probably help a lot, but one side just wants to be consumed by Ireland and the other just seems to want to be consumed by the UK.

ETA - I imagine the exact same can be said for the other side, but i have less experience of it.

Interesting article on the very subject of a 'Northern Irish' identity

and the equally interesting 'Why can't Great Britain look NI in the eye?'

I haven't researched it so I'll take your word that it's not the official flag of NI, but it's used for NI for events like football matches, commonwealth games etc so if it's not the "official" flag it's certainly the unofficial one.

It ceased to be when the old Stormont was closed down in seventy two

It is still used by Unionists / Loyalists, some sporting organisations and Unionist councils, but has no official status anymore

The only 'official' flags of NI are the Union Jack and the St. Patrick's saltire. However as you say the so-called 'Ulster banner' must be one of the world's most widely used and recognised 'unofficial' flags.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21299932

A nationalist resident cleared the first stage in a High Court challenge to ongoing loyalist flag protests on Friday.

He was granted leave to seek a judicial review over claims that police are allowing illegal marches every week from east Belfast to the city centre.

Flag of NI is cross of StGeorge with a red hand in centre. Why St George and not St Patrick I don't know, probably cos Paddy was a tim or some such bullshit.

99% of Saints are "****" are they not? There have been very few saints created by the reformed church, and all pre-reformation saints could be classed as Roman Catholic.

The red cross on the Ulster flag is not necessarily the cross of St. George, the Ulster flag is loosely based on the flag of the province of Ulster which has a red cross with a yellow background.

Somebody better tell the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland that St Patrick is a "tim" - they have St Patrick Saltire on their bannerette.

• 1 month later...

Update

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21663450

The first minister has said the police must address a perception they treat loyalists differently than republicans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21669369

The PSNI chief constable has defended police handling of the union flag protests after controversial remarks from Northern Ireland's first minister.

And just for a laugh

http://www.u.tv/News/DUP-MP-in-Kia-Provo-name-change-bid/6cc8cbb9-32e0-4c10-837d-46a3dab066ab

A DUP MP has raised concerns in the House of Commons over car-maker Kia naming a concept super-mini the 'Provo' - tabling a motion calling for the name to be changed.

Archived