Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Scotland did vote for Independance, and the rRUK changed the Union Flag, what would this bunch of mouth breathers do?

Could they go with the change or would they all explode, Mrs Bunnfield styleee/

A question similar to what would happen to Rangers if Godzilla emerged from the Clyde and proceeded to destroy Ibrox, because there is zero chance of either happening. Roll on the referendum so all the irrational Braveheart inspired nonsense about sticking international frontiers between Gretna/Carlisle and Stranraer/Larne can be put to rest for another generation.

The time to do it was back in the 1970s when the oil was first discovered, so a sovereign wealth fund like Norway's could be generated. With all the debt that has been accumulated by the UK since then, it is too late in the day now for Scotland to sensibly carve out a separate future for itself in geopolitical terms. It would just be a case of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic a wee bit given the bigger issues that would still have to be faced regardless of where international boundaries are placed.

The way the SNP have bottled it on the question of a separate currency from the rUK shows they know that they can't win the argument on the substance of what independence actually traditionally meant. In a similar way the demise of the Celtic Tiger has killed the debate over the constitution in an NI context stone dead for at least a generation although the politicians who have made a career out of campaigning for change based on them and us identity politics will no doubt continue to go through the motions where the politics of division and chip on the shoulder grievance are concerned to keep getting themselves elected.

A question similar to what would happen to Rangers if Godzilla emerged from the Clyde and proceeded to destroy Ibrox, because there is zero chance of either happening. Roll on the referendum so all the irrational Braveheart inspired nonsense about sticking international frontiers between Gretna/Carlisle and Stranraer/Larne can be put to rest for another generation.

The way the SNP have bottled it on the question of a separate currency from the rUK shows they know that they can't win the argument on the substance of what independence actually traditionally meant. In a similar way the demise of the Celtic Tiger has killed the debate over the constitution in an NI context stone dead for at least a generation although the politicians who have made a career out of campaigning for change based on them and us identity politics will no doubt continue to go through the motions where the politics of division and chip on the shoulder grievance are concerned to keep getting themselves elected.

Amen, can't wait for the greetin' and cries of Judas and Quisling from the Nat jobs.

Bro, I am not being funny but why are you so upset about this?

Cue "...I am upset because...:"

"I have Irish family." "I am half Irish." "I go to Church four times a week" or "I am a 90 minute Plastic Paddy" ad nauseam.

I don't give a monkeys shite about your Eire heritage and no doubt you will invent some spurious rationale to justify your bigotry.

Facts are bro you live in Scotland and this is happening in Northern Ireland and nae c**t outwith the West Coast gives a f**k about it.

Would you not be better spending your time, like I do, at a Catholic Church soup kitchen or [Heaven Forbid] a Church of Scotland food bank.

If anything the spirit of Christian volunteering may very well divert you from your utterly pathetic delusion of faux persecution.

Again: Nobody outwith your narrow bigoted community gives a f**k about this utter nonsense.

I know your S1 Social Studies level of political understanding cannot comprehend the below:

Not everything in life is a Northern Irish/English Unionist conspiracy.

Please let that sink in for a minute before replying with some bigoted reactionary nonsense.

"I have Irish family." "I am half Irish." "I go to Church four times a week" or "I am a 90 minute Plastic Paddy" ad nauseam.

I don't give a monkeys shite about your Eire heritage and no doubt you will invent some spurious rationale to justify your bigotry.

Facts are bro you live in Scotland and this is happening in Northern Ireland and nae c**t outwith the West Coast gives a f**k about it.

Would you not be better spending your time, like I do, at a Catholic Church soup kitchen or [Heaven Forbid] a Church of Scotland food bank.

If anything the spirit of Christian volunteering may very well divert you from your utterly pathetic delusion of faux persecution.

Again: Nobody outwith your narrow bigoted community gives a f**k about this utter nonsense.

I know your S1 Social Studies level of political understanding cannot comprehend the below:

Please let that sink in for a minute before replying with some bigoted reactionary nonsense.

Are you drunk?

Mmmmmmm.

• 4 months later...

Not flag related, but no need to start another thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27604841

Northern Ireland's first minister Peter Robinson has come under fire for defending a pastor who made controversial comments about Muslims.

James McConnell of the Metropolitan Tabernacle in north Belfast, described Islam as "heathen" and "satanic", and said he did not trust Muslims.

Mr Robinson said he would not trust Muslims involved in violence or those devoted to Sharia law.

But he said he would "trust them to go to the shops" for him.

Archived