Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

Left from the back of Day's hotel guys, and there are a few good pubs in Sandy Row, although not nearly as many as there were twenty years ago.......sadly.

Is the Lily Bar still going?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opening times have changed greatly. I remember we didn't even have Sunday opening,(not all that long ago), and that resulted in us trawling the Shankill every Sunday, where working men's clubs were allowed to open for four hours. When one closed another opened, and you could come from another planet and suss it all out by following the crowds as they went from one club to another, some decidedly dodgy. It also meant that Monday mornings in work could be fairly hellish.

Pubs are open for 12 hours Monday to Saturday,11.30 to 11.30, 10 hours on a Sunday, although some have later extensions. Having said that a lot of pubs don't open until evening, or only open on certain days of the week. The days of the booming (no pun intended) pubs of the 70s and 80s are long gone.

Travel round rural areas and see the amount of closed pubs. Our local pub is only open a couple of nights a week. The next village to us lost it's pub years ago, a row of houses was built on its site.

If you've limited time I would recommend the open top bus our. Takes you around the major sights as well as up to Stormont, across to Titanic Quarter and up the Falls/Shankill. Only downside is the wind on the Sydenham Bypass

Bus tour then a tour of some pubs would be a great day out. Totally disagree with some others about the Crown Bar. If you're into old bars its a must see. Not a place you're going to mingle with locals but a lovely old bar for a pint or a drink with friends if you can nab a snug

If you've limited time I would recommend the open top bus our. Takes you around the major sights as well as up to Stormont, across to Titanic Quarter and up the Falls/Shankill. Only downside is the wind on the Sydenham Bypass

Bus tour then a tour of some pubs would be a great day out. Totally disagree with some others about the Crown Bar. If you're into old bars its a must see. Not a place you're going to mingle with locals but a lovely old bar for a pint or a drink with friends if you can nab a snug

Don't have a curry before you go, then...

Trains from Larne used to be quite regular, and there is a little section of the journey where you are practically in the sea. Doesn't take long at all and I suppose the Crown is alright if you're a tourist. It's just that I grew up there and it was nothing special to me. Hope you enjoy it?

Trains from Larne used to be quite regular, and there is a little section of the journey where you are practically in the sea. Doesn't take long at all and I suppose the Crown is alright if you're a tourist. It's just that I grew up there and it was nothing special to me. Hope you enjoy it?

the Crown is a good pub for an afternoon pint, Morrisons on Bedford Street was my favourite before it went all trendy and they painted it :angry: .

• 6 months later...

If Scotland did vote for Independance, and the rRUK changed the Union Flag, what would this bunch of mouth breathers do?

Could they go with the change or would they all explode, Mrs Bunnfield styleee/

Who?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived