Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the exemption for the Union Flag had been amended out of it so the perception of bias was removed, Stormont's old Flags and Emblems Act would probably have dealt with these sorts of issues reasonably effectively. Maybe time the politicians in NI drafted a new more even-handed one?

Again,the irony of you accusing others of being myopiccompletely eludes you

Losing your life to replace flags tat offend you to replace them with flags that you know will offend others is the height of stupidity

If this idiot died in an attempt at taking down a UJ I would laugh just as heartily

The only tragedy here is that he lived long enough to reproduce

100% loyalty 0% cardio

Have yet to see evidence of your all-encompassing view, but am prepared for a long wait.

If he died trying to remove a flag in a republican area then I would laugh with you, but he was removing a flag placed to cause maximum offence near a place where an act of republican genocide occurred, or do you only care about the people that Linfield supposedly killed?

Here's hoping that your bitterness never gets to reproduce itself?

I'd advocate the removing of all flags, just to stop things like this.

Should he have done it? No, he shouldn't, nor should anyone, but some of the usual suspects on here seem to think it's funny yet are very quick to condemn other things that happen in Northern Ireland.

I've just had a look at Beesbrook on Google maps and this looks a bit strange.

Assuming I've got the right pond the Island is only 20m from the forest on the east shore and barely 50 from the north and south

This is an inland body or water so there will be no strong currents or waves and in late July the water temperature wont be too cold.

This is going to be about as difficult as doing a length of the Serpentine Lido in Hyde Park

I suspect we're not being told the full story

Having another breakdown over NI are we?

Getting so pissed off at a flag that you risk and ultimately end your life is a daft thing to do. The flag isn't offensive, and beyond it being somewhere it shouldn't be(by that I mean the pond itself rather than in a unionist area) isn't doing harm. Of course had k.a.h or similar been displayed on it/near by it would be different but that's not the case.

An old man tries to remove a flag put up to deliberately cause maximum offence, and that's your best shot?

Nope, he tried to replace it with another flag which he thought would have caused offense.

The story could only be better if the guys who planted the tricolours had drowned as well.

...This is going to be about as difficult as doing a length of the Serpentine Lido in Hyde Park

I suspect we're not being told the full story

Given it was the pond for an old linen mill (Bessbrook is Ulster's answer to New Lanark in terms of being a 19th century model village) maybe the island is related to the water outlet in some way and that creates strong currents that make swimming hazardous?

Sorry, I no longer red dot fannies with patter as old as Methusellah.

Still, you had a good innings at it.

Archived