Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

Is there no UNP type party who want total independence for Northern Ireland?

What the hell does London or Dublin know about life in Northern Ireland?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has been vague talk of it over the years, but nothing concrete, and I doubt it would be financially viable. You could start a new party tomorrow, guaranteeing everyone in the country peace and wealth, and the dickheads would still vote tribally, leaving the rest of us to pick up the pieces. Voting is often as much about keeping someone out as it is about getting someone elected.

Is there no UNP type party who want total independence for Northern Ireland?

What the hell does London or Dublin know about life in Northern Ireland?

Won't somebody please think of the flag! :P

• 3 weeks later...

An English invention,The Saint Patricks Saltire was convieniently designed in London in time for it to be incorporated onto a flag(The Union Flag) that was being created and that just happened to need a red stripe or two

It has zero historical connection to Ireland other than that

Dating back to the 18th Century is actually quite a long connection as far as flags go. It's about as old aas the French Tricolour and older than all the subsequent republics. The Italian Flag for example was a nineteenth century French Invention. Looking further afield the Canadian flag only dates back to the 1960s,

The only previous candidate for an "Irish Flag" would be the Harp (still used as the presidential flag, and privincial flag of Leinster) which originates in the royal coat of arms so it clearly is an English invention (or more accurately Anglo-Norman).

Maybe they should hold a compition to design a new flag.

Normally you restrict these things to school kids, but given its northern Ireland everyone can enter, given the numbers that still lack any understanding of what goes outside of their "community".

On a slight tangent, week off next week and considering firing over to Norn Iron via the Troon-Larne ferry for a couple of nights.

Anyone recommend any reasonably priced hotels in Belfast?

Days Hotel is ok, couple of minutes walk from the centre, slightly above Premier Inn standard, and you can see some genuine disgruntled Protestant graffiti from some of the windows. About £50 per night.

Agreed - Days is good, but check the cheapo web sites as there are lots than can be picked up very reasonably. Titanic Centre good if you're into that sort of thing. Crown Bar a tourist trap AND the most overrated pub in the city. The Spring & Air Brake is a good venue for live music.

Days Hotel is ok, couple of minutes walk from the centre, slightly above Premier Inn standard, and you can see some genuine disgruntled Protestant graffiti from some of the windows. About £50 per night.

Where do you see the fake disgruntled etc etc.

I think that's where my brother stayed one time he was over working in Belfast, although I could be wrong.

Where do you see the fake disgruntled etc etc.

I think that's where my brother stayed one time he was over working in Belfast, although I could be wrong.

Apologies, I was commenting from a cynical tourist's point of view, rather than someone who lives there. Still, it's good that people are asking tourist questions about Belfast and not just getting answers about where to avoid.

Apologies, I was commenting from a cynical tourist's point of view, rather than someone who lives there. Still, it's good that people are asking tourist questions about Belfast and not just getting answers about where to avoid.

No need to apologise, I was being flippant as is my way.

Some of the graffitti (on both sides) is pretty damn good, imo. Sandy Row is worth a walk up, or is it down from Days Hotel?

Archived