Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

I also noticed

I maybe doing NI a disservice here, why see instead of parties representing only a section on the community, wouldn't it be far worthwhile cause for someone to stand up and do whats best for Northern Ireland and the people who live in it? Not just Catholics, nationalists, protestants or unionists

Also, i'm sure you don't only get catholics and protestants living in NI

Every politician over here pretends to fight for everyone, but they never do. By the way, Britishness makes me think of the Brittas Empire, with Chris Barrie bossing everyone about and that guy with the septic hand trying to inspire us to greatness..

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also noticed

I maybe doing NI a disservice here, why see instead of parties representing only a section on the community, wouldn't it be far worthwhile cause for someone to stand up and do whats best for Northern Ireland and the people who live in it? Not just Catholics, nationalists, protestants or unionists

Also, i'm sure you don't only get catholics and protestants living in NI

Didn't you know, we have Catholic Muslims and Protestant Muslims?

Think you're talking about the Alliance Party there.

In general you're right though. NI lacks its own collective identity - too many identify themselves with Dublin or London rather than Belfast.

Think you're talking about the Alliance Party there.

In general you're right though. NI lacks its own collective identity - too many identify themselves with Dublin or London rather than Belfast.

How are they getting on?

It must be soul destroying for people in Northern Ireland to know that the only non-bigot political party there is effectively the Lib Dems.

Well why don't none of the main UK parties bother to try stand or get elected in NI?

Just a quick google search for political parties in NI gives you this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_Northern_Ireland

Nationalist and republican

It's like a broken record with these parties

Will anyone in NI take these people serious? :blink:

Of course not, it's run by losers that were involved in the BNP's attempt to get into NI, failed miserably, & found none of the "loyalist" parties would touch them with a ten foot bargepole after. The BBC ought to be ashamed of themselves giving them any publicity at all in a land every degenerate scrote runs up their own political party all of which are lucky to last three months.

Didn't you know, we have Catholic Muslims and Protestant Muslims?

Were two of the leaders of one of the loyalist 'paramilitary' groups not Egyptian Copts? I use the term paramilitary lightly as my understanding from reading about them is they were effectively drug dealing criminals rather than having any political purpose.

Why no Tory or Labour?

Labour wouldn't organise in Northern Ireland for their own reasons, so we had the northern Ireland Labour party for a while. I am led to believe Labour refused to organise in Northern Ireland because they supported the "united Ireland" agenda, although I have no proof of this. The Official Unionists were very much aligned with the Conservatives whose official name was the Conservative and Unionist Party, in fact it still may well be. I lost interest in politics too long ago to either check or care about either of these facts as I believe the overwhelming majority of ALL politicians to be self-serving bastasrds.

Labour wouldn't organise in Northern Ireland for their own reasons, so we had the northern Ireland Labour party for a while. I am led to believe Labour refused to organise in Northern Ireland because they supported the "united Ireland" agenda, although I have no proof of this. The Official Unionists were very much aligned with the Conservatives whose official name was the Conservative and Unionist Party, in fact it still may well be. I lost interest in politics too long ago to either check or care about either of these facts as I believe the overwhelming majority of ALL politicians to be self-serving bastasrds.

Labour were in Northern Ireland under the guise of first Republican Labour & next the SDLP, who took the Labour whip in the House Of Commons until the very late 1990s. The Ulster Unionists merged with the Conservatives way back in Carson's time, but were treated as a separate party, same as the Co-operative Party nonsense with Labour of allowing a "pet" party within a party for electoral reasons. It has always suited the mainland parties to have their Irish/Northern Irish branches as arms length deniable assets, not least of all because Ireland/Northern Ireland has never been the most popular of topics amongst the English electorate.

Labour were in Northern Ireland under the guise of first Republican Labour & next the SDLP, who took the Labour whip in the House Of Commons until the very late 1990s. The Ulster Unionists merged with the Conservatives way back in Carson's time, but were treated as a separate party, same as the Co-operative Party nonsense with Labour of allowing a "pet" party within a party for electoral reasons. It has always suited the mainland parties to have their Irish/Northern Irish branches as arms length deniable assets, not least of all because Ireland/Northern Ireland has never been the most popular of topics amongst the English electorate.

I can relate to that, plus they wouldn't want to be tainted by the sectarian basis of local politics.

The arms length arrangement has presumably suited the Northern Irish parties equally well.

There's a parallell with the moves inside what's left of the Scottish Tories to start again as a seperate Scottish right of centre party as opposed to remaining the caledonian branch of an increasingly insular Southern English party.

Archived