Depression

It's more I don't feel ready to deal with my high stress job when I have so much stress I need to deal with the now. My manager says I've to take as much time as I need

Take your time. I was off 6 weeks and getting back into it now. I'm not in a high stress job mind you.

So I mentioned to my girlfriend that I think I'm well enough to have a social drink (not a 12 hour session) and she basically blew her top, has said I'm putting my head in the sand and that I'm devastating her. I honestly don't think I'll ever get anything like a life back, any time I wanted to do anything I'll have to deal with this.

Am I deluding myself though? I did this when I was drunk but I don't think drink is the deciding factor. I feel the concern of others is weighing down on me, it's oppressive.

Yeah, alcohol is a depressant even if it does elevate your mood for a wee while, the come down is a hoor.

Nipped into this thread just for a wee look given my own issues that I outlined a while back.

Wee update on my own situation, I achieved a 2:2 in my honours degree despite my supervisor not because of her, still have a nagging feeling that if I had a better supervisor I would have got a 2:1.

Currently out of work but applying for anything that remotely looks like something I feel capable of doing. The number of KBs I'm getting is extremely demoralising but trying to keep going. Doing volunteer work just now to keep me out of the house as I would waste my life lying in bed otherwise.

Staying with my Mum again but feel restricted with the lack of freedom I have and getting really itchy feet again

Don't jump into something just because it comes along. Or at least leave yourself an 'out' and not be trapped by circumstance when taking a new job. Be careful with what you accept.

I know what it's like to get loads of knock backs. And I'm talking a lot and I'm on my 30th job. But them I was applying for any old shit. Thought I'd done well with my current job, but really not liking it. But then a large part of that is simply not being well. I've gone far too long without getting help. I'm pulling a sickie tomorrow to finally start sorting it (although I say pulling a sickie I genuinely am quite unwell, although mentally; sad that I have to pretend I'm physically ill).

Your volunteer work should stand you in good stead. You're basically working full time unpaid by the sounds of it. You'll get loads of 'skills' and experience from it and least a couple of quality references. I'm sure you'll find something. Unfortunately it might not be just as quick as you'd like

Yeah, alcohol is a depressant even if it does elevate your mood for a wee while, the come down is a hoor.

Nipped into this thread just for a wee look given my own issues that I outlined a while back.

Wee update on my own situation, I achieved a 2:2 in my honours degree despite my supervisor not because of her, still have a nagging feeling that if I had a better supervisor I would have got a 2:1.

Currently out of work but applying for anything that remotely looks like something I feel capable of doing. The number of KBs I'm getting is extremely demoralising but trying to keep going. Doing volunteer work just now to keep me out of the house as I would waste my life lying in bed otherwise.

Staying with my Mum again but feel restricted with the lack of freedom I have and getting really itchy feet again

I'm trying to get back into volunteering with ChildLine seeing as I can't land anything permanent at the moment. Got an interview in a couple of weeks so focusing on that and moving house for the time being.

I suppose my trouble is that any spare thoughts I have is focusing on not being here in Scotland. There's zero chance of me doing it though unless I have a bit of financial backing - I'm dreadful at saving and even with money I fucked up my chance last year and only lasted one month before coming back with huge debts and my tail between my legs. I could have stayed abroad but god knows what would have happened. Don't half think about it though.

Chris I've just been through the childline interview process and been accepted :) tough interview though.

I did the interview when I was 16 and got accepted but I didn't start the training until I was 17/18. I seem to remember it being quite "Tell a time when you.." Based.

Apparently it's not a large mass and they can do some sort of non-invasive treatment, proton therapy. thank f**k I have health insurance!

What actually happens is they give you a general anesthetic to put you under then take turns punching you in the stomach.

But in all seriousness, sounds like you've caught it early enough and will get it sorted in no time. Hope it works out and I'm sure it will. Going by your posts, you've taken so much and had to go through so much and then you get this. It's monumentally unfair. f**k knows how you even still function. You must be an exceptionally strong guy. You have my total and utter respect, and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here. You're a top guy.

What actually happens is they give you a general anesthetic to put you under then take turns punching you in the stomach.

But in all seriousness, sounds like you've caught it early enough and will get it sorted in no time. Hope it works out and I'm sure it will. Going by your posts, you've taken so much and had to go through so much and then you get this. It's monumentally unfair. f**k knows how you even still function. You must be an exceptionally strong guy. You have my total and utter respect, and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here. You're a top guy.

Yeah 100%.

Felt incredibly shit today at work, one of my colleagues noticed and starting asking me what was going on.

I really had no explanation for it, but there was a few times I felt like crying.

I really had no explanation for it, but there was a few times I felt like crying.

This happened to me at a family dinner last night. They all know i'm depressed and I appreciate their concerns over me but the fuss they make over me at the moment its like I'm a 5 year old with a stomach bug. The stuff they were saying to me when I was just sitting there in silence tipped me over the edge and I had to leave the table and go and sit at the back door cause I just wanted to be on my own.

In a way I'm starting to feel sorry for my family cause after all theyre only trying their best but it must seem to them that theres nothing they can do to help me.

Definitely not the only one here with that opinion.