Depression

Guest bernardblack
Said it before but exercise has done far more for me fighting mental health issues than any NHS treatment I was offered over 8/9 years.
Works been a bit more stressful recently and made some mistakes that can often be the start of a bad cycle for me. Went for a run this morning pre work and it has absolutely cleared my head for the day coming. Couldn't recommend it enough.

I need to get back into a routine like this. I’ve done little to no exercise since the marathon in May and it’s severely affected my mental health. Anxiety is through the roof

Loneliness can be an utter c**t.

It really, really can. When I’m at lowest, loneliness really hits hard. You aren’t alone though and you have people who care about regardless what your brain is telling you.

Guest bernardblack

Well, did you?

Was too late to get my running stuff together but made sure during the day I walked more than 5k. Not quite the same but could feel the difference at least!

OK lads, I could use some advice because I'm at about the lowest I've been in a long, long while. My depression takes the form of overwhelming lethargy. Can't work, can't do anything at all productive, I just feel like crap. None of my usual go-to remedies are digging me out of it this time, so does anyone have any other suggestions I can try?

Exercise is my usual first port of call but we're in the middle of a winter storm and running outdoors isn't practical. Driving, even the 15 minutes to the gym is being discouraged by the polis right now because of the road conditions, so that's out. I've been riding my bike on the indoor trainer and doing a non-equipment workout routine indoors but for the last couple of days, I can't even push myself to do that.

I'm trying to avoid all the stuff they tell you to avoid. It's well over a year since I last smoked pot. I haven't had a drink in over a week, (and that was only 1 glass of wine at a friends house.) I've been eating healthy. Going to bed and getting up early and at regular times. Showering, shaving and clean clothes on every day. (I work from home). I'm following a meditation programme and limiting my screen time in the evenings...but even so, I've accomplished next to nothing this week.

Any ideas? 

Edited by Shotgun

12 hours ago, Shotgun said:

OK lads, I could use some advice because I'm at about the lowest I've been in a long, long while. My depression takes the form of overwhelming lethargy. Can't work, can't do anything at all productive, I just feel like crap. None of my usual go-to remedies are digging me out of it this time, so does anyone have any other suggestions I can try?

Exercise is my usual first port of call but we're in the middle of a winter storm and running outdoors isn't practical. Driving, even the 15 minutes to the gym is being discouraged by the polis right now because of the road conditions, so that's out. I've been riding my bike on the indoor trainer and doing a non-equipment workout routine indoors but for the last couple of days, I can't even push myself to do that.

I'm trying to avoid all the stuff they tell you to avoid. It's well over a year since I last smoked pot. I haven't had a drink in over a week, (and that was only 1 glass of wine at a friends house.) I've been eating healthy. Going to bed and getting up early and at regular times. Showering, shaving and clean clothes on every day. (I work from home). I'm following a meditation programme and limiting my screen time in the evenings...but even so, I've accomplished next to nothing this week.

Any ideas? 

In my experience, if I let the fact I am lethargic make me feel down or frustrated, I just become more lethargic. So I just accept it, go to the shop, buy myself some Fanta and sweets, sit on the sofa in my sleeping bag and let it pass without it making me feel worse. Not sure if that helps at all. Probably not tbh.

Any ideas? 

I get this too.

You need small wins to break the lethargy. Achieving something makes you feel good and motivates you to do more.

For example, when it happens to me now I clean the kitchen. Takes five minutes, but then the kitchen looks good and I feel better. Usually ends up getting me on a roll and I clean the bathroom, then mop the living room etc. Suddenly I've got a beautifully clean looking flat and it hasn't taken that long and I feel better about myself.

Any ideas? 

Clear snow from the garden? I know there's little point to it but you'd get a workout and a sense of achievement. 

Any ideas? 

You’re getting up. Getting showered, changed, ready for the day, bed made, house in order, doing your days work, eating healthy...you’re achieving a lot every single day without realising.
Sounds daft but try cooking something new or something you haven’t had for ages. Even if you’re shite at cooking, it gives you something to do. When I get in a rut it usually coincides when I’m just eating to live, nothing fancy or that I look forward to having.

Any ideas? 

Do you have a wee interest away from your work other than the gym/exercise ??   When i slide into your similar dip, i delve into my photographs from ages ago (I'm a wannabe good photographer) and start re-cropping or adjusting the filters, etc, to try and improve the photos with a fresh look.  It gets me totally immersed for the time i'm doing it, and i feel i've achieved something when i'm done.  I think that's the key here, having that sense and feeling about having done something positive.   Like JTS98, i sometimes start cleaning one room in my flat, then one becomes two, then the flat's looking good and comfortable again.  

Not prying, but is your work restricted and carried out during set hours ??  Hopefully that will keep your focus and attention for the duration.  If it's the case that you can do the work as and when you can, or can be arsed, then i think that may be affected if you have the lethargy hanging about in the background.

Onwards and upwards, mate.  We all have wee spells where the world can just f*ck off, but it's what's there on the periphery or outside the four walls that are important to you that can push you to having that sense of achievement that pulls you back up to where you normally are or where you want to be. 

Lots of positive and great advice been given by the good people of P & B so far.  Try some of the suggestions and i'm sure you'll look back feeling proud of what you've done.  👍

Not sure I should post this here - and if anyone objects, let me know and I'll remove - but in absence of a specific thread on the topic. Excellent article in today's Guardian from an Edinburgh GP - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/nov/22/doctor-gp-what-i-have-learned-from-my-suicidal-patients

16 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Any ideas? 

The daylight (or lack of it) this time of year has a lot to do with low moods. If you can't get out during the day a light box might help. I also swear by St Johns Wort, it takes a couple of days to kick in though.

As always, thanks for the support everyone. I do love this thread.

To address some of the points...

6 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

In my experience, if I let the fact I am lethargic make me feel down or frustrated, I just become more lethargic. So I just accept it, go to the shop, buy myself some Fanta and sweets, sit on the sofa in my sleeping bag and let it pass without it making me feel worse. Not sure if that helps at all. Probably not tbh.

This doesn't tend to work for me, I'm afraid. In that I tend to indulge my lethargy too easily and that's what's put me in the hole I'm struggling to get out of now. It's OK up to a point, but the work doesn't go away. And I tend to beat myself up for "being unproductive", which makes me feel worse.

6 hours ago, JTS98 said:

You need small wins to break the lethargy. Achieving something makes you feel good and motivates you to do more.

I'm a big fan of the "small wins" theory. One of the things that's made this week so challenging is that I'm achieving quite a lot of small wins, and should be feeling good about them. And yet..it's almost like "C'mon depression - I'm doing my part. How about a break, eh?"

6 hours ago, NJ2 said:

You’re getting up. Getting showered, changed, ready for the day, bed made, house in order, doing your days work, eating healthy...you’re achieving a lot every single day without realising.

Dammit, yes I am. Yes..I...AM. Apart from the day's work bit. That's a problem. 

Today has been better though. (I'm on a lunch break right now, and have given myself permission to read P&B for a bit.)

Something that's been useful is that I remembered I have a second UserID built into my home computer. My setup is that I have my work laptop next to my home computer and I tend to use both as I work, switching from screen to screen as needed. Problem is, I'm way too easily distracted by P&B, Facebook and other stuff. However, if I switch to the other UserID, the only bookmarks attached to that are work-related. No Solitaire, Netflix, YouTube or anything else. Which means if I want to succumb to distractions, I have to physically go looking for them, rather than just flicking on a bookmark or an app. I find that much easier to resist so it's surprisingly helpful at keeping me on track. And I can still listen to my music. (John Mayall right now.)

6 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Sounds daft but try cooking something new or something you haven’t had for ages. Even if you’re shite at cooking, it gives you something to do. When I get in a rut it usually coincides when I’m just eating to live, nothing fancy or that I look forward to having.

Mrs Shotgun went out in the blizzard this morning to restock our groceries. (That's huge hairy deal for her too, but that's a topic for another day.) Tonight we're having mince n' tatties. Comfort food from way back. 

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Clear snow from the garden? I know there's little point to it but you'd get a workout and a sense of achievement. 

We're on an acre of pine forest so don't have a garden as such. However, as soon as I'm done responding here, I'm going out to shovel the front deck and steps. If that isn't done regularly, the snow gets trodden down and icy and then it's a bugger to shift. I'm also going to fill the bird feeders. Yay me.

6 hours ago, hearthammer said:

Do you have a wee interest away from your work other than the gym/exercise ??   When i slide into your similar dip, i delve into my photographs from ages ago (I'm a wannabe good photographer) and start re-cropping or adjusting the filters, etc, to try and improve the photos with a fresh look.  It gets me totally immersed for the time i'm doing it, and i feel i've achieved something when i'm done.  

That's a good idea. Like you, I have aspirations towards being a photographer and recently set myself an-as-yet-unachieved goal of learning my way around Lightroom. We had a week's holiday in September and I've barely looked at the photos on my camera.

Not prying, but is your work restricted and carried out during set hours ??  Hopefully that will keep your focus and attention for the duration.  If it's the case that you can do the work as and when you can, or can be arsed, then i think that may be affected if you have the lethargy hanging about in the background.

I pretty much have to be at my desk and available throughout the day. Phone calls, emails and texts from clients and colleagues are frequent and being home-based, I don't like to give people the opportunity to wonder why they can't get hold of me. I've barely done the minimum required this week though, and am horribly behind on what I need to deliver, so will have to work this weekend. See above re today being more productive.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

The daylight (or lack of it) this time of year has a lot to do with low moods. If you can't get out during the day a light box might help. I also swear by St Johns Wort, it takes a couple of days to kick in though.

I used to have one of those 'Happy Lights' which was supposed to help with this and I ran it for 30-45 minutes every morning. Can't say I really noticed a difference and when it croaked in the spring, I never bothered replacing it. I've heard good things about St. Johns Wort though, so I should check that out.

Onwards and upwards, mate.  We all have wee spells where the world can just f*ck off, but it's what's there on the periphery or outside the four walls that are important to you that can push you to having that sense of achievement that pulls you back up to where you normally are or where you want to be. 

Lots of positive and great advice been given by the good people of P & B so far.  Try some of the suggestions and i'm sure you'll look back feeling proud of what you've done.  👍

Aye this. All of it.

Thanks again everyone. Off to do some shoveling now.

Guest Moomintroll
10 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

This doesn't tend to work for me, I'm afraid. In that I tend to indulge my lethargy too easily and that's what's put me in the hole I'm struggling to get out of now. It's OK up to a point, but the work doesn't go away. And I tend to beat myself up for "being unproductive", which makes me feel worse.

I'm a big fan of the "small wins" theory. One of the things that's made this week so challenging is that I'm achieving quite a lot of small wins, and should be feeling good about them. And yet..it's almost like "C'mon depression - I'm doing my part. How about a break, eh?"

Today has been better though. (I'm on a lunch break right now, and have given myself permission to read P&B for a bit.)

Something that's been useful is that I remembered I have a second UserID built into my home computer. My setup is that I have my work laptop next to my home computer and I tend to use both as I work, switching from screen to screen as needed. Problem is, I'm way too easily distracted by P&B, Facebook and other stuff. However, if I switch to the other UserID, the only bookmarks attached to that are work-related. No Solitaire, Netflix, YouTube or anything else. Which means if I want to succumb to distractions, I have to physically go looking for them, rather than just flicking on a bookmark or an app. I find that much easier to resist so it's surprisingly helpful at keeping me on track. And I can still listen to my music. (John Mayall right now.)

Mrs Shotgun went out in the blizzard this morning to restock our groceries. (That's huge hairy deal for her too, but that's a topic for another day.) Tonight we're having mince n' tatties. Comfort food from way back. 

We're on an acre of pine forest so don't have a garden as such. However, as soon as I'm done responding here, I'm going out to shovel the front deck and steps. If that isn't done regularly, the snow gets trodden down and icy and then it's a bugger to shift. I'm also going to fill the bird feeders. Yay me.

That's a good idea. Like you, I have aspirations towards being a photographer and recently set myself an-as-yet-unachieved goal of learning my way around Lightroom. We had a week's holiday in September and I've barely looked at the photos on my camera.

I pretty much have to be at my desk and available throughout the day. Phone calls, emails and texts from clients and colleagues are frequent and being home-based, I don't like to give people the opportunity to wonder why they can't get hold of me. I've barely done the minimum required this week though, and am horribly behind on what I need to deliver, so will have to work this weekend. See above re today being more productive.

I used to have one of those 'Happy Lights' which was supposed to help with this and I ran it for 30-45 minutes every morning. Can't say I really noticed a difference and when it croaked in the spring, I never bothered replacing it. I've heard good things about St. Johns Wort though, so I should check that out.

Aye this. All of it.

Lots of little potential gains there Shotgun, that will lift you up. I know it only too well that sometimes when you are genuinely being productive when working your mood refuses to let you accept it, sounds like you have been available & are getting through things, don't put too much pressure on yourself, if you were genuinely underachieving then some arsehole would be quick enough to get on your back. Can i get some of those mince n' tatties btw, I am shite at making them.

55 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Aye this. All of it.

I haven't used either St Johns Wort or the lights but a Vitamin D spray helps me out a lot in the winter. Suspended in coconut oil, so it tastes revolting, but you can get gummies; I just can't because vegetarian. 

Bought david goggins book and another on meditation.

Going to go full goggins.

On a more serious note. Feeling worse at work now that the one person who had my back and I could talk to without fear has went onto better things. Theres a few decent folk but none I would say similar to.

Thinking of moving on next year and to better myself. Feel like I've wasted years sticking around waiting for a career when it's dead end and managed by people telling staff theres a chance of progression.

3/4 promotions were the managers pals and had little or no right to it due to skills or experience

Sucks massive balls but in the grand scheme it's not important

I have to be selfish