Depression

7 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

That’s big part of the issue. I can’t afford to go elsewhere as a wage cut definitely won’t make me happier. My employer have all these mental health first aiders, mindfulness sessions and support programmes but the reality is it’s all just corporate wankology that’s designed to make the company look good to stakeholders and any other invested outsiders looking in. The actual facts are that senior-middle management don’t give a f**k about anyone other than themselves, the yes-men/women or the shiny-happy people they employ and train to be their stooges tasked with spouting buzz-word laden bullshit to stakeholders, clients and customers. Amongst the remaining 90% of employees, opportunities are limited, salaries and bonuses are kept as low as possible, promotion opportunities are almost non existent or a poison chalice and morale is low as f**k right across the board. 

Identical, they proclaim that they care for the company but in reality they are only in it for themselves. They are terrified of people who see through them and their bullshit. There was a director at my work who manipulated the workplace into some sort of utopia and invited tours and people in.

All of sudden they left for some high paying job, none of it was real. It all stopped when they left. Using 100 people like guinea pigs to make them look good while in reality being nasty, abusive and two faced behind the scenes. A senior director on 70k plus who didn’t even need replaced. 
wtf is that all about? Nobody has even questioned it. It’s bizarre. 
Senior management is some sort of weird cult.

45 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Identical, they proclaim that they care for the company but in reality they are only in it for themselves. They are terrified of people who see through them and their bullshit. There was a director at my work who manipulated the workplace into some sort of utopia and invited tours and people in.

All of sudden they left for some high paying job, none of it was real. It all stopped when they left. Using 100 people like guinea pigs to make them look good while in reality being nasty, abusive and two faced behind the scenes. A senior director on 70k plus who didn’t even need replaced. 
wtf is that all about? Nobody has even questioned it. It’s bizarre. 
Senior management is some sort of weird cult.

Senior management is some sort of weird cult and middle management are a cult of brown nosing ass kissers.

At my work the actual amount of managers is a joke and literally 50% of them are completely unnecessary.

There is a manager for everything. Their wages and bonuses are predominantly just a complete drain of funds and they spend so much time masking their incompetence and inability to make prompt, correct decisions. Ultimately their roles are one big game of “my dick is bigger than yours” and running in circles with their tadgers out with no sense of direction then nipping at their subordinates when X, Y & Z hasn’t been done which in turn just leads to low morale, high turnover of staff, loss of good workers and then time and money lost to hiring and training new starts. Then the whole cycle starts all over again. Rinse and repeat.

There is also a team that consists of THREE people in one area of the business that makes me laugh and wince at the same time - A manager. A team leader and ONE subordinate. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s that sort of lazy structuring, delegation and wasting of budget that boils my piss. Get that manager and team leader to f**k and absorb that ONE staff member and the remit of that “team” into another! Fvcking joke.

Edited by 8MileBU

26 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Senior management is some sort of weird cult and middle management are a cult of brown nosing ass kissers.

At my work the actual amount of managers is a joke and literally 50% of them are completely unnecessary.

There is a manager for everything. Their wages and bonuses are predominantly just a complete drain of funds and they spend so much time masking their incompetence and inability to make prompt, correct decisions. Ultimately their roles are one big game of “my dick is bigger than yours” and running in circles with their tadgers out with no sense of direction then nipping at their subordinates when X, Y & Z hasn’t been done which in turn just leads to low morale, high turnover of staff, loss of good workers and then time and money lost to hiring and training new starts. Then the whole cycle starts all over again. Rinse and repeat.

There is also a team that consists of THREE people in one area of the business that makes me laugh and wince at the same time - A manager. A team leader and ONE subordinate. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s that sort of lazy structuring, delegation and wasting of budget that boils my piss. Get that manager and team leader to f**k and absorb that ONE staff member and the remit of that “team” into another! Fvcking joke.

It will eat away at you if you let it. Some or most people don't see it or want to. Because you care about the company you will get attacked, they can see that you know its all BS.

Dont worry about things you can't change, you cant take on an entire company. I'd recommend having a focus outside work and ultimately leaving which is something I've found so hard to do because of wages.

If there's any nasty stuff then document it all. These b*****ds will not hesitate to throw people under the bus.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

It will eat away at you if you let it. Some or most people don't see it or want to. Because you care about the company you will get attacked, they can see that you know its all BS.

Dont worry about things you can't change, you cant take on an entire company. I'd recommend having a focus outside work and ultimately leaving which is something I've found so hard to do because of wages.

If there's any nasty stuff then document it all. These b*****ds will not hesitate to throw people under the bus.

It’s not even that I care about the company as such, it’s more that I am taking a hit financially and it angers me as it effects my life away from work. At work it also angers me seeing so many good people being undervalued, not paid fairly, demoralised, going off sick or leaving whilst the management levels are rife with incompetence and they regularly make poor choices which waste money but they take home the big fat pay cheques and seen to spend half their work week on Yammer showing the rest of the company how great they’ve got it. 

All that said it doesn’t really do much other than make me feel resentful seeing failures rewarded and in turn my own mood increasingly lowered given the impact work has on home. 

Edited by 8MileBU

From around 2011 until 2013 I was in a Council job I absolutely hated. It had started really well but the Team Manager retired and was replaced by someone else in the team close to retirement who'd long since stopped giving a f**k. This gave three of the others free reign to behave like complete c***s to the rest of us. At the time I pretty much ignored most of their shite until the main harridan had a moan about something I'd apparently done wrong in front of everyone in a team meeting - I was too taken aback to realise what she was on about, but sure enough she'd given me the wrong file to upload to our section on the organisation's intranet. I went to the "manager" absolutely fucking seething at something she'd known full well was her f**k up but he was too chicken-shit to confront her. She continued behaving like an arsehole, backed up her her two coat holders for months.

Eventually I'd had enough and applied for a job elsewhere in the council - the one bonus of having a spineless manager was that he was happy to give me a decent reference, as was the one who'd retired early doors and I'd gotten on really well with. I got the job, and as soon as everything was signed and watertight, I spent my month's notice doing as little as I could get away with and generally being a snidey c**t to the three harridans. If I could have got away with sparking up a cigar in the office I would have. I then spent about half an hour of my exit interview laying into my manager's inability to deal with these cretins and he just had to sit there and write it down.

My final act was to about not having time to do a password check on about 550 users of our IT system. I faked an apology to Mr Spineless just before I flexed out at 4pm on my last day saying I hadn't had time to do it but it wouldn't take one of the others long. It was in fact a massive, tedious as f**k two day job and they were already buried under various report requests from elsewhere. Fucking brilliant. 

Moving into my current department was the best thing I ever did. It's challenging as f**k but a brilliant job. I got promoted a couple of years back. The section in my last job was broken up as part of cost cutting measures, one fucked off to another job, one was punted after various nonsense sickness absences eventually caught up with her and the one left eventually chucked it through stress. Wee shame. 

I think I underestimated how much the shiteness of that job affected me. I thought I was brushing it off but looking back I was fucking miserable and hated getting up every day to go in there. As immature as it may well be, being able to get away with being a lazy dick for my month's notice and burying them under a shit-ton of monotonous work was cathartic as f**k. 

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

It's amazing. I've now survived office culture for four years and never been so much as tempted to get embroiled in the company culture. 

I loudly protest having to participate in forced fun events, I avoid any PPI or Gemba walk shite and do not want anything whatsoever to do with fucking embracing company values. 

I frequently tell my managers that I'm aware I'm here with a chip on my shoulder and it's because I actually give a shit in spite of working for a big soulless corporation. If I mentally chuck it, they'll know about it as I'll shut my yap. 

Guest TheJTS98
10 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

There is a manager for everything.

This is something I've noticed a lot.

The nature of my work means I don't have one employer, I have two or three at a time. I've just started a new contract with a UK-based educational materials publishing company. My job is to develop materials. I'm a materials developer. But no! I am Product X Materials Development Coordinator! I work alone so I am the coordinator of a team consisting solely of myself and working in tandem with precisely no other 'teams'. It's a fucking farce. 😀

Titles like this are just an attempt to keep people satisfied that their careers are progressing and to try and tempt them into doing extra work for free. I've never worked anywhere where the word 'coordinator' meant anything other than 'does extra stuff for free'. In my case it makes no sense, since I'm working for them on a contract basis to do a specific job. Weirdos.

Companies are empires. People like to have their wee title and believe it makes them important.

Guest TheJTS98
4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Bar one 5 minute bump in the street, I haven't seen any of my mates in 4 months.

I live on my own so it's getting to the unbearable stage,; talking to the walls but it's just me again.

My Mum is nearly 80 and keeps me going. I'm dreading her passing because  once she's gone I won't be far behind her.

I'm in the hoose on my own too. Good days and bad. How are you passing the time?

This is generally aimed at the previous discussion about being down at work. As mentioned, there is no amount of money that is worth being unhappy at work. You spend most of your life working (now that is a depressing thought) so why spend the time hating it.

It might seem a backwards step to take a wage drop and move elsewhere but if it means you will be happier going to work then it is a no brainer. If you are happier in your work then you will perform better which would hopefully mean you progress quicker.

If you are purely focussed on money and don’t want to leave your job then why not just play the system for a short time and ensure you are the one promoted. It is surely better to be paid more money to hate your job rather than hating your job on less wages.

11 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

That’s big part of the issue. I can’t afford to go elsewhere as a wage cut definitely won’t make me happier. My employer have all these mental health first aiders, mindfulness sessions and support programmes but the reality is it’s all just corporate wankology that’s designed to make the company look good to stakeholders and any other invested outsiders looking in. The actual facts are that senior-middle management don’t give a f**k about anyone other than themselves, the yes-men/women or the shiny-happy people they employ and train to be their stooges tasked with spouting buzz-word laden bullshit to stakeholders, clients and customers. Amongst the remaining 90% of employees, opportunities are limited, salaries and bonuses are kept as low as possible, promotion opportunities are almost non existent or a poison chalice and morale is low as f**k right across the board. 

Always put yourself first.

My previous employer were supportive of my mental health issues up until the point they decided it wasn't worth it anymore and put me on a performance improvement plan with a view to binning me. I'm not particularly proud of it but I went and got myself a sick line and took time off to avoid the PIP until I could find a new job. I was absolutely fucked mentally, if I'd done a month on a PIP I would've unemployed and in an even worse state.

Point is, I hung on far too long in something I clearly didn't like and was tearing strips off me, even if it wasn't the main source of my issues. If you're feeling change is the best thing for you then go for it. You can adapt to a sight drop in salary if you need, career paths don't need to be linear, a slight 'drop' can be the catalyst for growth later on, particularly if you sort your head out in the meantime.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Always put yourself first.

My previous employer were supportive of my mental health issues up until the point they decided it wasn't worth it anymore and put me on a performance improvement plan with a view to binning me. I'm not particularly proud of it but I went and got myself a sick line and took time off to avoid the PIP until I could find a new job. I was absolutely fucked mentally, if I'd done a month on a PIP I would've unemployed and in an even worse state.

Point is, I hung on far too long in something I clearly didn't like and was tearing strips off me, even if it wasn't the main source of my issues. If you're feeling change is the best thing for you then go for it. You can adapt to a sight drop in salary if you need, career paths don't need to be linear, a slight 'drop' can be the catalyst for growth later on, particularly if you sort your head out in the meantime.

That is me in a nutshell right now  been off for nearly 3 months due to depression & anxiety, stuck on a final written warning due to an incident that then transformed into a subordinate continually reporting me for bullshit issues.

The HR team said they were fed up with this & were going to deal with it as there was nowhere else in the company where this was happening so regularly, (was a pile of other shit going on as well directed towards me and my line manager, whenever he was personally reported he would move heaven and earth to get us exonerated, when it is just me he throws it to HR even though he should do the investigation). In spite of HR assurances this person has conspired with another the day after a meeting regarding a crackdown on breaches of social distancing where the other person would be the most directly affected for non compliance to set me up & tell blatant lies about yet another alleged H&S breach that is going to cost me my job after 30 years of slogging my guts out.

During the year before I went off, I dragged two of the biggest KPIs from 31st out of 31 to 2nd & 4th in the Region and scored top in the Customer Satisfaction survey when it was always near the bottom so clearly I know exactly what I am doing in the role. Will be doing them for unfair dismissal after I get binned as under the DDA they have not resolved the issues that have contributed to my illness & I am clearly capable of doing the job.

Anyhoo the whole point of this rant is that no job is worth your mental health, I did my best for 3 decades but now I have some issues they pretend to care but can't wait to get me out the door.

Guest TheJTS98
3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm not particularly proud of it but I went and got myself a sick line and took time off to avoid the PIP until I could find a new job. I was absolutely fucked mentally, if I'd done a month on a PIP I would've unemployed and in an even worse state.

Nothing to be unproud of. Sensible to remove yourself from the situation and look forward.

Absolutely gubbed just now tbh. Feeling anxious as soon as I wake up and think about work. I've said to a few people through the correct channels that I feel as a new hire/trainee I've been left out in the cold and just essentially told to work things out for myself. A lot of sympathetic nodding and "you're right" but nothing actually done about it. No coaching or feedback within the project I'm working on.

It's weird because as a whole firm they're pretty supportive, and the individuals I'm working with are sound. Just seems to be the project I'm on, no scope for anything other than racing towards deadlines. I roll off next week and get a couple of weeks at college for my qualification so that'll be good at least.

But aye, started running again, did dry January, eating healthily, all the classics to get out of a low mood but I'm just miserable, knackered really.

Guest TheJTS98

Without wishing to sound like a fucking hippie, it's wise to remember that a career is just one part of your life. It doesn't define you. If it does, there's something wrong.

Work will never be all fun and smiles, but if your graft is making you genuinely miserable long-term, or making you sick, or affecting your relationships, then get it to f**k. It's just a job.

Edited by TheJTS98

Without wishing to sound like a fucking hippie, it's wise to remember that a career is just one part of your life. It doesn't define you. If it does, there's something wrong.
Work will never be all fun and smiles, but if your graft is making you genuinely miserable long-term, or making you sick, or affecting your relationships, then get it to f**k. It's just a job.

I’m happy where I work but am trying to move nearer to my da for a while as he’s 72 with a history of lung conditions related to working with asbestos and it really is not easy at all to just change work. It’s also incredibly dispiriting to get knocked back day after day for jobs that you’re clearly qualified to do given it’s roughly the same position I’m doing atm.

Basically I’m currently being screwed by the people that wrote the Act of Union and insisted on Scotland retaining its own legal system. Ever closer union would suit me perfectly rn.

Guest TheJTS98
1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I’m happy where I work but am trying to move nearer to my da for a while as he’s 72 with a history of lung conditions related to working with asbestos and it really is not easy at all to just change work. It’s also incredibly dispiriting to get knocked back day after day for jobs that you’re clearly qualified to do given it’s roughly the same position I’m doing atm.

Basically I’m currently being screwed by the people that wrote the Act of Union and insisted on Scotland retaining its own legal system. Ever closer union would suit me perfectly rn.

I know it's not always easy. Last time I needed out of a job it took me nearly a year. Things have to fall into place.

But some people never make the move. You've made the call anyway, and that's the first step, but your situation is clearly different. Your job isn't the problem.

Edited by TheJTS98