Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

I for one was completely unaware Andy Graham is tactical genius who will instantly transform Alloa. Absolutely no evidence of this.

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

Yeah, I don't understand why Andy Graham would/will be groundbreaking as a manager.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

However, Alloa's manager not being Barry Ferguson is probably the bigger aspect here. Sacking a clearly unpopular manager.

This.

Its much more about bigot boy leaving than anyone else coming in.

2 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

I for one was completely unaware Andy Graham is tactical genius who will instantly transform Alloa. Absolutely no evidence of this.

There is as much of a risk appointing Andy Graham as there is appointing some old jobber like Jim Duffy. Alloa (much like ourselves) will struggle to attract someone with a proven track record so someone who can galvanise the squad and get them playing for the badge is the next best thing.

Are they guaranteed success under Andy Graham? Absolutely not. Does Andy Graham know what is required to survive in a relegation dogfight? Absolutely. 

You don’t need to be a tactical genius to survive relegation from League 1, you just need a group of committed players, playing in a system they understand who are willing to fight for the cause. 

Our experience with promoting to manager from within the the team wasn't a success......
Mark Clougherty.
Andy Graham is a proven leader on the park. Time will tell whether he's able to do it from the dugout but my money would be on him doing it there too. To compare it to us appointing a player as manager 35 years ago is ludicrous. I could cite Alex Neil at Hamilton and Danny Lennon at Cowdenbeath as being successes moving from playing to managing the same club. Obviously there will be many more that haven't worked out. Appointing a manager is always a risk.

I am slightly disappointed with Barry Ferguson quitting before the weekend. I'd hoped for a good result and another Alloa manager sacked off the back of losing to us.

There's no doubt they will only improve and I actually feel they have a decent enough squad. They won't challenge without some extra quality added (imo) but they shouldn't really be flirting with relegation either. Comfortably mid-table would be where I think they should be.

30 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm hearing that Carlo's withdrawal on Saturday was due to him feeling unwell rather than injury, so hopefully he'll be available for Saturday - if the park is playable.

That's correct, aye. Faz was saying that Carlo was playing when he was feeling absolutely dreadful, so all credit to him for that. Especially for putting in a really good 50 minutes.

I'm not holding my breath for Saturday at all. I just can't see our pitch dealing with the volume of rain due, or with Friday's snow. Although I'd love to be wrong on that.

Based on the absolute state of the pitch last Tuesday no game at any level should be played on that pitch. Even without any rain/snow/storms it would be struggling to host a Sunday league game nevermind one at SPFL level after days of pish weather.

I can’t reiterate enough how fucking horrific a nick it is in and I’d probably rather a postponement than a relegation 6 pointer taking place on a tattie field.

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm not holding my breath for Saturday at all. I just can't see our pitch dealing with the volume of rain due, or with Friday's snow. Although I'd love to be wrong on that.

That's where I'm at. I've got new gear to play with too so it's a shame to wait another week to put it to use.

12 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Not a hope in hell of Saturday going ahead. Pitch was a mess for the Rangers B v Sevilla game and we've had regular heavy rain since then. I'll be shocked if this goes ahead.

You would think that every effort would be made to get this on, as the last thing we need is a fixture pile-up.

16 minutes ago, Turnberry Fields Forever said:

You would think that every effort would be made to get this on, as the last thing we need is a fixture pile-up.

I'm not sure what sort of effort could be made, the ground is soaked through everywhere and other than a short while today where the rain will cease it's going to piss down up until kick off.

39 minutes ago, Turnberry Fields Forever said:

Not a lot the club can do. Pitch was in an absolutely shocking state. It's been pissing down since the last time it was played on. The park was cut up really badly and the goal areas were like a tattie field. Whole pitch really needs to be ripped up and relaid. Preferably after building up the ground a bit with sand and top soil and installing better drainage channels underneath. Ideally we'd stick drains under the shite that the pitch is laid on now, raise the pitch level by 3 or 4 inches of sand and then soil and then lay new turf.

Not a lot the club can do. Pitch was in an absolutely shocking state. It's been pissing down since the last time it was played on. The park was cut up really badly and the goal areas were like a tattie field. Whole pitch really needs to be ripped up and relaid. Preferably after building up the ground a bit with sand and top soil and installing better drainage channels underneath. Ideally we'd stick drains under the shite that the pitch is laid on now, raise the pitch level by 3 or 4 inches of sand and then soil and then lay new turf.

I mean they could ask the guy on here who occasionally pops up with a cryptic post to come back. He always seemed to have our pitch so much better than it currently is!

I mean they could ask the guy on here who occasionally pops up with a cryptic post to come back. He always seemed to have our pitch so much better than it currently is!
Ha ha I still like to keep up to date with what's going on. As for the cryptic posts, that's because someone reading the posts on here kept going back to the chairman telling him what I was posting, next thing I'm summoned to the office. It was a bit like a primary school at times.
Anyway that's history. The pitch doesn't need new drainage as it's all natural drainage that runs into the river. The problem lies in the top 3 or 4 inches, years of minimum maintenance has led to a build up of dead thatch which when gets wet acts like a big sponge and holds in rather than letting it drain through.( that pitch hasn't been scarified as long as I was involved in it). That's why the vertidrain is so important to it.
The year Dumbarton got relegated I had finally convinced them to get it corralled, and it was costing about £2,500, then the playoff disaster and they pulled the plug on it. When I left I was told I was to do the park myself and they would provide help when I needed it which was never going to work. Then the bombshell of ground sharing with BSC Glasgow or a full season of Celtic YD. I told Antonia the park couldn't take that amount of abuse with the state it was in underneath the surface. Covid put paid to that happening. Then the Rangers deal happened.
Another reason the park is so bare goes back to the summer when no water was put on it and it was left to burn. That's when you need to thicken it up to try and get it through a season. I got told they were waiting to get the pump fixed so might have been unavoidable. I feel sorry for the guy that's doing it, and now the chairman is away I'm surprised he hasn't walked. He had no chance of keeping that thing playable in those conditions.
You never know if Rangers want to use it next season they might pay to get it relayed. Horrible seeing it like that. Good luck for the rest of the season guys.

49 minutes ago, Dumbarton Rock said:

Ha ha I still like to keep up to date with what's going on. As for the cryptic posts, that's because someone reading the posts on here kept going back to the chairman telling him what I was posting, next thing I'm summoned to the office. It was a bit like a primary school at times.
Anyway that's history. The pitch doesn't need new drainage as it's all natural drainage that runs into the river. The problem lies in the top 3 or 4 inches, years of minimum maintenance has led to a build up of dead thatch which when gets wet acts like a big sponge and holds in rather than letting it drain through.( that pitch hasn't been scarified as long as I was involved in it). That's why the vertidrain is so important to it.
The year Dumbarton got relegated I had finally convinced them to get it corralled, and it was costing about £2,500, then the playoff disaster and they pulled the plug on it. When I left I was told I was to do the park myself and they would provide help when I needed it which was never going to work. Then the bombshell of ground sharing with BSC Glasgow or a full season of Celtic YD. I told Antonia the park couldn't take that amount of abuse with the state it was in underneath the surface. Covid put paid to that happening. Then the Rangers deal happened.
Another reason the park is so bare goes back to the summer when no water was put on it and it was left to burn. That's when you need to thicken it up to try and get it through a season. I got told they were waiting to get the pump fixed so might have been unavoidable. I feel sorry for the guy that's doing it, and now the chairman is away I'm surprised he hasn't walked. He had no chance of keeping that thing playable in those conditions.
You never know if Rangers want to use it next season they might pay to get it relayed. Horrible seeing it like that. Good luck for the rest of the season guys.

Out of interest how much does it cost to get the pitch relaid? I had heard murmerings that this may be happening at the end of the season and was wondering what the cost of that would be vs installing a good plastic surface.