Sons' sorrow

5 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Pretty sure that's an SPFL rule rather than Clyde's decision. Although @Skyline Drifterwill know for sure.

Its an SPFL rule (& an SFA one) that he cant play against his parent club. He'll be allowed to plsy in any tie not against Clyde. Similarly McGeever wont be allowed to face Dumbarton.

I’d be astonished if we offered Grant a deal, I was pleased when we initially signed him but he was miles off it and I thought he was always a bit weak in a tackle.

Should we meet in a play off we’d have Brian McLean and Erik Sula at centre back, assuming they’re fit. 

I’ve thought for a good while that the play offs would be a formality for either us or Peterhead, I can maybe see us getting past East Fife or the other teams around them, but I’d struggle to see us get by either you lot or Annan. 

5 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

I mean... I don't think McGeever played on Saturday (injured perhaps as not in the squad) but I did mention yesterday that we could at some point face Clyde and both be left without a CB who had been pretty every present recently.

ETA: Looks like McGeever has been out since 1st April with an injury.

He ran into a goalpost. 

He's not a player I would think of as Championship standard although he was playing in a defence that was devoid of confidence for us. He played 12 games and we only won once while he was playing conceding 25 goals in those games.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

How was George Stanger in his brief spell for you guys? Did he look like someone capable of stepping up to the Championship? 

I always liked him as a player and was disappointed we didn't get him the following season... been a while though and no idea where he's been playing since 

5 minutes ago, Curler said:

I would hope that we keep the ones we have. The away strip is great. People are struggling with the cost of living so cannot afford an extra expense

Agreed. The 150 strips are far too exquisite to discontinue after just one season.

Edited by George Parr

The feedback the 150th Committee received from the supplier Pitchteamwear was that they were delighted with the sales figures, both from the Sons Direct site and non Sons fans, strip afficionados, etc.,

The Macron strips are a huge step up in quality and design from the Joma kit and personally I think it would be a really bad business decision to seek another strip for next season, especially bearing in mind the point Curler rightly makes above.

Unlike too many previous seasons we hit the ground running with availability this season and that can continue by running the same kit for a second year, this time with sponsorships restored.

9 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The feedback the 150th Committee received from the supplier Pitchteamwear was that they were delighted with the sales figures, both from the Sons Direct site and non Sons fans, strip afficionados, etc.,

The Macron strips are a huge step up in quality and design from the Joma kit and personally I think it would be a really bad business decision to seek another strip for next season, especially bearing in mind the point Curler rightly makes above.

Unlike too many previous seasons we hit the ground running with availability this season and that can continue by running the same kit for a second year, this time with sponsorships restored.

I hope we keep them and as you say, just add a sponsor to them. Maybe the following season remove the castle from the back and just go full plain for home as imagine that costs a lot but a club our size shouldn’t chop and chnage designs every year.

9 minutes ago, PWL said:

How about a wee limited run gold third/European shirt using a standard template to keep unit cost down?  Just so there is at least some cashflow coming through.

Not against the idea of a third shirt but I believe that in most other seasons we don’t make a lot of money from the sale of shirts. 

3 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Not against the idea of a third shirt but I believe that in most other seasons we don’t make a lot of money from the sale of shirts. 

We must make something. We’re skint so even if it generates 500 quid it would be worth it.

I think a 3rd kit and keeping the current 2 with a sponsor is a great idea.

OKI will remember for sure, but I'm sure at the AGM it was said that our kit this year was the best selling replica Sons shirt ever? 

I'm not surprised either. It's absolutely sensational and I'd happily see us play in both strips for the next 10 years! Stick a sponsor or two on it next season but continue with the same template and we'll be onto a winner for me.

Lets be honest, no one is buying that top with a sponsor on it. But the board also need to consider that any new top will need to look as good as the current one to sell, which I would say is damn near impossible. Another year in the current strips makes sense to me, put a couple of sponsors on it to try and make up some of the shortfall of not shifting many jerseys. 

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

OKI will remember for sure, but I'm sure at the AGM it was said that our kit this year was the best selling replica Sons shirt ever? 

I'm not surprised either. It's absolutely sensational and I'd happily see us play in both strips for the next 10 years! Stick a sponsor or two on it next season but continue with the same template and we'll be onto a winner for me.

It was indeed, and the reaction to both kits from outside the club is something whoever makes these decisions would do very well to consider.  Applied tastefully, some sponsorship need not detract too much from the overall aesthetic, and it would also make the 150th versions quite sought after items.

If we keep the same strip, where does the income from shirt sales come from? No one is going to buy a 2nd strip just for a new season. That’s why clubs do it, to maximise income. He’s not as many will sell, but more will sell than the current seasons being kept for another season. I would be amazed if we didn’t change it.