Sons' sorrow

An interesting stat here: every season of Stevie Farrell’s (this being season 7) SPFL management career, his sides have finished in successively lower positions every season*.

A feat that is on course to be repeated this season.

*In Faz's defence (kinda), you are obviously guaranteed another lower finish once you're relegated, regardless of how well you do the following season. Two of those seasons were relegation seasons. Actually, not sure I've put up a very good defence at all...

Edited by FifeSons

Harsh on Gallagher Lennon. He got absolutely bodied and wasn't up to a physical battle at all but made a couple of really good blocks and made an even better last ditch tackle. 

100% needs to bulk up or he will never make it as he got thrown about so much today in that aspect 

57 minutes ago, qpfc said:

A shame to hear that. Was hoping a move down to league 2 would be beneficial in his development. He looked raw but really promising the back end of last season in the championship but this season, his confidence seems shot to pieces. 

Plenty of time to revive his career given he has 3 years left on his deal but not sure an unimpressive stint at yourselves will do his chances any good 

I think he's probably, technically, an excellent player. A good touch, close control, skilful. All that stuff.

But he looks like a child on the pitch. He's just so small and so easily bumped off the ball. And he doesn't have explosive pace or anything to cover for that.

His confidence looked absolutely rock bottom this afternoon until we scored. Then he went on a couple of decent runs and punted in a good cross which made me think there might be something there. 

I reckon he's the sort of player who'll be great in a team that are flying. And a bit of an empty jersey in that area struggling.

We're also making a habbit of conceding early.

Conceding late has been a problem all season. We'd be 8 points better off if games ended after 80 mins. 

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, sirscottyoung said:

Harsh on Gallagher Lennon. He got absolutely bodied and wasn't up to a physical battle at all but made a couple of really good blocks and made an even better last ditch tackle. 

100% needs to bulk up or he will never make it as he got thrown about so much today in that aspect 

Imagine naming your kid two last names. 

Should add that despite having Newcastle and Sunderland on their doorstep, South Shields managed to draw over 2000 fans today to the National League North - tier 6 of the English football set-up. Its almost as if its possible to live in the shadow of 2 much bigger clubs and to still bring in a healthy crowd if you do things properly and create the right kind of condition for the club to attract fans.

And certainly not a ploughed field masquerading as a football park.

10 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Should add that despite having Newcastle and Sunderland on their doorstep, South Shields managed to draw over 2000 fans today to the National League North - tier 6 of the English football set-up. Its almost as if its possible to live in the shadow of 2 much bigger clubs and to still bring in a healthy crowd if you do things properly and create the right kind of condition for the club to attract fans.

Are you seriously comparing South Shields to Dumbarton? Its about four times the size of it

It really tells you a lot about the reality of our situation that yesterday even was such a high pressure game. A team that’s 9 points clear shouldn’t be sweating that their whole season is about to crumble if we lose and it goes to 6… Yet, you can tell that’s exactly the case, from everyone’s reaction from the fans to the manager.

The only reason we’ve been so comfortably in the playoffs for most of the season is because East Fife and Forfar (two pre-season title favourites) have been so far below where they should’ve been. We’ve been on relegation form since the Stenny defeat in September, barely averaging a point per game (1.067 PPG* over 15 games, just shy of half a season, and the equivalent of 38 points over a season). All it was going to take was one side below us to put together a semi-decent run of form.

*by comparison, East Fife have averaged 1.533 PPG over that same 15 game period. If both sides continue to average that form over the next 8 games, we’d finish 2 points ahead. However, if you look at their PPG since Dick Campbell came in, they’re at 2.2 PPG, which would have them finishing 3-4 points ahead of us, if we continue our 15 game average.

TL;DR: DFC trend line is massively downwards, EFFC trend line is somewhat upwards.

Edited by FifeSons

13 hours ago, sirscottyoung said:

Hes literally just turned 18.

People have a really weird perception of footballers thanks the PED filled youngsters at the top level of football.

Its not normal for 17/18/19yos to be physically matching/beating people in their late 20s.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes literally just turned 18.

People have a really weird perception of footballers thanks the PED filled youngsters at the top level of football.

Its not normal for 17/18/19yos to be physically matching/beating people in their late 20s.

Cian Newbury is the same age, and isn't a big strapping guy at all. In fact Lennon is physically bigger. But I've not seen anyone throw him about.

Lennon just lacks physical attributes full stop unfortunately. He's not got pace, he's not got strength and he's not got much of a leap on him.

The overall one is quite interesting, too. Shows a very nice downward trendline from GW5 onwards.

Obviously the deeper you go into the season, the less impact a single result has on the overall average and you'd expect the blue line to flatten. Quite impressive that we've managed to get worse and worse.

image.png.8954286f172c978cbff7b3a662f31ef2.png

Edited by FifeSons

34 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Cian Newbury is the same age, and isn't a big strapping guy at all. In fact Lennon is physically bigger. But I've not seen anyone throw him about.

Lennon just lacks physical attributes full stop unfortunately. He's not got pace, he's not got strength and he's not got much of a leap on him.

I cant comment too much without actually watching them, but im really not a fan of how brutal folk are to 18/19 year olds about "bulking up" . Some people just take until their 20s to develop that way and a startling amount of young players just chuck it as they themselves dont know that.

14 hours ago, sirscottyoung said:

Doing a couple of good things whilst getting simultaneously ragdolled for 90 minutes and generally looking miles out of his depth isn’t really going to cut it. Nobody is being harsh, it’s an honest assessment of a guy who’s now made enough appearances for us to determine he isn’t ready for League 2 football. I hope the lad can go on to have a successful career but for DFC’s sake I’m hoping Durnan and Crighton are fit enough to partner each other ASAP. 

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

When you look at it, there's a rapidly growing amount of comments on the club's social media posts about emptying Farrell and MacKay.

And not just me and @FifeSons either.

The clamour is getting louder.

One of my tweets got bookmarked and Twitter doesn’t let you see who did it. Maybe Neil’s building up a body of evidence against me to get me a lifetime ban :lol:

56 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Nobody is being harsh, it’s an honest assessment of a guy who’s now made enough appearances for us to determine he isn’t ready for League 2 football.

Absolutely this. He may well go on to play at an even higher level than L2, but right now it’s a level beyond him and we are not in a position to carry him for his own development.

13 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

3 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Are you seriously comparing South Shields to Dumbarton? Its about four times the size of it

You’re also allowed to booze on the terrace at level 6 of England, which undoubtedly helps crowds/revenues. I know some folk were in two minds about whether it would’ve been good for Dulwich to go up to the national league a few years ago, as the boozing rule changes.

My English pals are always amazed how parochial the alcohol laws are up in Scotland. You’re allowed to drink in the concourse at any level in England, just not bring it into the stand.

Edited by FifeSons