Sons' sorrow

Keeping Dumbo in the league with an 8th place finish won't raises the eyebrows the way this season has. If he takes you down then people won't be fawning all over him regardless of past achievements.

To say next season's league won't be stronger is ridiculous. Hearts and Rangers will be far stronger than any team currently in the league. Add Hibs to that and that's 3 stronger teams. If Dunfermline came up it would also reduce the number of part time teams.

So it absolutely does 'stack up'.

You seem most disappointed, guess its because your either going down to the seaside leagues or staying up to be our whipping boys again next season.

Murray may well leave, who knows, but its great that he's signed for another 2 years and hopefully his players will now do the same. Truth is no club have actually made a move for him (yet).

Good luck in your play-off.

Keeping Dumbo in the league with an 8th place finish won't raises the eyebrows the way this season has. If he takes you down then people won't be fawning all over him regardless of past achievements.

To say next season's league won't be stronger is ridiculous. Hearts and Rangers will be far stronger than any team currently in the league. Add Hibs to that and that's 3 stronger teams. If Dunfermline came up it would also reduce the number of part time teams.

So it absolutely does 'stack up'.

I doubt relegation would effect Ian's stock too much. Your second paragraph will be the template for explaining away any dip in performances.

Well, what can I say, it's been a time in coming but maybe all the sweeter for that. I get the feeling that Murray and the DFC Board will give it a right go next season, and whilst there may be some who will question Murray's motives in signing another contract when his name is being linked with other clubs, perhaps they should consider that maybe the guy has seen others in similar situations crash and burn and he wants to continue his learning curve with us. When the time and the club is right he'll move on.

At this stage we simply don't know whether we will see the likes of McGinn, Megginson, Kane and Miller in a Sons shirt again, but I'll tell you what, as of this morning we must now stand a better chance. Not only that, if we are to believe what we've been directly told, players rate the guy, a priceless characteristic in a football, or indeed any manager.

Overflowing pints of Deuchars all round :cheers

Will it ? Hearts replace Dundee and may be better than Dundee but that's by no means certain given the financial restraints. Anyway Dundee took twelve points off us so we can only do better against Hearts. Rangers replace Morton and that's obviously going to be harder. Having said that Morton took six points off us. So if we can take six points from our four games against Hearts and Rangers we are no worse off than this season.

If Hibs win the play off we still have Hamilton/Falkirk and if Cowdenbeath beat Dunfermline we still have you lot. Even if Dunfermline win I doubt if they will be any better than you have been this season.

So all this talk about it being a much harder division for us doesn't really stack up.

I like the way you've analysed that. The headline is it's a much harder division but giving it proper scrutiny does suggest we could still do ok.

Absolutely delighted. Going to sleep last night I'd convinced myself he was off to St. Mirren. Well done to Gilbert Lawrie and the Board of Directors.

Murray's eye for a player has been excellent so far. Excited about who he may re-sign plus the fresh talent he has identified.

The two year deal may even convince the likes of McGinn & Megginson to sign on again, knowing that we won't stand in their way should a decent offer come in.

It may also persuade Celtic & St. Johnstone to trust us with the further development of Mikey Miller and Chris Kane.

It's always enjoyable when opposition fans can't take anyone holding a contrary opinion to them and it's classed as sour grapes when they do.

1 singular fan. Wouldn't get too excited or jump the gun on the opportunity to have a dig.

All the other responses to your posts seem pretty reasonable from where I'm sitting. And I'm sitting on Ian Murray's face.

Like many others delighted with the news that Murray has signed a 2 year deal - if we're all being honest here I doubt many of us will expect him to complete the contract but that's neither here nor there at the moment.

As for what is left for him to achieve, it's not a bad question at all tbf given our season this year has been our most succesful in 20 odd years. That being said he has significantly less to lose with us than he would with a St.Mirren for example (where an 8th place finish isn't good enough) and I don't see where else he'll get a better job right now (aside from the debacle that is Morton & thats not better atm). Even relegation wouldn't be a complete disaster given the strength of the league next year and there's no reason to think if we can keep our moct of our current squad and add a couple of new players that a mid-table finish is unreachable.

Hopefully we can get the bulk of the squad signed up shortly and press on with more wild speculation about signings etc :thumsup2

Edited by untitled00

Two fucking years! :thumsup2

Sensible decision from Murray; keeping us up next season would be a bigger achievement than keeping St Mirren in the Premiership (or getting them in the top 6) and would only raise his stock even higher. He will get the big move eventually, that is inevitable, and when it does come he will be ready for it. Also, while we may not see him here until the end of his contract, what the two-year deal does give us is that little bit more security.

Edited by FifeSons

When are details of season ticket prices usually released? Im assuming it'll be once the play-offs are complete.

Hoping there will be another early bird sale and we see an increase in ticket sales.

Don't think anyone can emphasise enough just how much of a difference this will make to the players who will sign up in the coming days. Players want to work with Murray and players from other teams will also want to be a part of Dumbarton and Ian Murray's team for next season.

It is a great advantage having the extra year on his contract. I just wonder whether any players will be signed on deals which are longer than just 12 months.