Sons' sorrow

Not sure why you need more players/loans.

we wont catch you so safety almost assured. Save the money for next season when you will need it more.

Wish I (and many other sons fans) could share your confidence. Still think that although we scored 3 on Saturday we lack a real goal threat.

Darren Petrie has been named in Dundee United's U20 starting line-up for this afternoon's development league match against us. Surely this can't be allowed under the terms of his loan deal? Or has it been waived because Dumbarton don't have a game this weekend?

Petrie is on a "Development Loan" with us. I'm assuming that allows him to train/play with the United U20's at any time (or maybe selected times) but I'm not sure.

Darren Petrie has been named in Dundee United's U20 starting line-up for this afternoon's development league match against us. Surely this can't be allowed under the terms of his loan deal? Or has it been waived because Dumbarton don't have a game this weekend?

Petrie is on a "Development Loan" with us. I'm assuming that allows him to train/play with the United U20's at any time (or maybe selected times) but I'm not sure.

A development loan, as Petrie's is, differs from a first team loan in that he can still appear for the U20 side of the parent club, which is good for us as it means he's training full time with Dundee United, training part-time evenings with us, playing reserve games with United, and playing first team games with us, so, barring injuries or burn out, he should be in peak fitness.

A development loan, as Petrie's is, differs from a first team loan in that he can still appear for the U20 side of the parent club, which is good for us as it means he's training full time with Dundee United, training part-time evenings with us, playing reserve games with United, and playing first team games with us, so, barring injuries or burn out, he should be in peak fitness.

Ah, that explains it. Cheers, lads.

Stuart Findlay still plays for Celtic under 20s as well. It seems it's all ok under the rules.

Stuart Findlay still plays for Celtic under 20s as well. It seems it's all ok under the rules.

Its not only "ok", it is encouraged. It is why these were brought in. To allow u20 players to go get first team experience elsewhere without leaving their own club's u20 set up. We have put about a dozen of these out to Lowland and South of Scotland clubs so far. The only rule is the boys arent allowed to play for both clubs within 48 hours so if you have a midweek game you will have to agree with the parent club which game the player plays in. I would imagine they will prefer them to play the first team one anyway.

I see some changes on the Youth set-up have appeared on the OS. I was fine until I got to the word 'pathway'... :unsure:

It seems even football has these numpties who need to make their job sound harder/more interesting than it is. I like the idea of having the teams all playing the same way and having the same ideas/faces around the first team to make things a bit more comfortable for players moving up but I fear that we'll only see the fruits of the system if we have a long term manager in place who has the same ideas. When Murray goes and a new guy comes in, does the "philosophy" for the youth sides change? Nothing we need to worry about immediately though and I wish Mark all the best with his new position.

Spalding certainly seems far more clued up and ethusiastic than Nish ever did. Comes across as favouring modern methods which can only be a good thing and something I think the young players will respond to.

I see he holds a UEFA A licence, did Nish have similar?

Dunno about that, but he certainly didn't have a licence to jump.