Sons' sorrow

Can remember Lawrie Williams, big Donald McNeil in defence, Graeme Sinclair, John & Derek Whiteford, Ian Wallace, Jumbo muir, John bourke etc. Most of all I recall having to cover my young ears because the crowd noise was so loud ????

Sneaking into the ground via the Pigeon Huts behind Boghead Avenue too.

First players I remember were Moore, Owen coyle, tam Carson, and cahill, how much did Celtic pay for Him?

£100,000 for Steve McCahill, just a few days after they beat us 0-3 at Boghead, IIRC.

Ended up at morton about a year later.

My first game as a Dumbarton steward.

On a more sombre note, Dumbarton lost a long time fan this morning. Alex Barr from Bowling sat in Row M behind me and a few (esp David B & wee Alan) will know him and that he's been unwell for a while. Followed Sons from the 40s. He thoroughly enjoyed promotion day at Annan. RIP auld yin, you're a legend.

£100,000 for Steve McCahill, just a few days after they beat us 0-3 at Boghead, IIRC.

Alex Wright confided in me at the time that the McCahill sale to Celtic saved possible administration proceedings by the estate of Sir Hugh Fraser who were looking for repayment if a £40,000 loan.

I thought we sold McCahill to Celtic after the 2-0 defeat at Parkhead

Couldn't have told you the score, but I thought it was after he played well in a game at Parkhead too.

As others have said we definitely sold McCahill after the 2-0 scottish cup defeat to Celtic at Parkhead. The 3-0 league cup game you refer, I also made my one and only appearance as a turnstile operator that night. I recall the police wouldn't let me round to join my friends after my shift as i had ended up in the Celtic end. They had tried to segregate us that night. August 89 i think it was.

I think the scottish cup game at Parkhead was maybe Jan 89.

On a more sombre note, Dumbarton lost a long time fan this morning. Alex Barr from Bowling sat in Row M behind me and a few (esp David B & wee Alan) will know him and that he's been unwell for a while. Followed Sons from the 40s. He thoroughly enjoyed promotion day at Annan. RIP auld yin, you're a legend.

Really sorry to hear that Casey, he was a one-off, the big man. And possibly and perhaps probably the only Sons fan in attendance when we played a friendly years ago in Coleraine in Northern Ireland.

Yes it was after that Scottish Cup match at Parkhead. At 0-0 Andy McQuaid missed a sitter to put Sons, at the time languishing near the bottom of the league, (maybe even bottom) 1-0 up. If I remember correctly Celtic brought Tommy Burns on as a sub and he broke the deadlock late in the game.