Sons' sorrow

Looks like the coming season will be even tougher than last season as with livingston staying up and Morton winning promotion dumbarton and Alloa will be the only part timers and favourites to finish in the bottom two.

A lot will depend on who aitken can attract into the team but we really will have to take points from the likes of hibs rangers and st mirren. Hopefully livingston go bankrupt again and lose 25 points.

Whatever happens this is our fourth season in a row in the championship and unfortunately we will.always be amongst the favourites for relegation. It all depends on whether you want to support a team struggling in the championship.or doing well in a lower league

Looks like the coming season will be even tougher than last season as with livingston staying up and Morton winning promotion dumbarton and Alloa will be the only part timers and favourites to finish in the bottom two.

A lot will depend on who aitken can attract into the team but we really will have to take points from the likes of hibs rangers and st mirren. Hopefully livingston go bankrupt again and lose 25 points.

Whatever happens this is our fourth season in a row in the championship and unfortunately we will.always be amongst the favourites for relegation. It all depends on whether you want to support a team struggling in the championship.or doing well in a lower league

Every football fan should want to see their club play at the highest level possible. If that means a relegation battle year on year so be it. Supporting a smaller club is all about enjoying those rare wins, regardless of whether its a relegation 6-pointer in the Championship or a win that extends your lead at the top of a lower division. Sometimes securing safety can feel just as good as securing promotion, a fact that OF fans or those of Man Utd, Barca et al will never understand - their loss.

I'll reserve comment on our chances next season until we have a full squad but as much as taking points from Rangers, Hibs and St Mirren would be a huge bonus I suspect our fate will be decided by the points taken from Alloa, Raith, Livi and Morton.

Edited by Jordo1872

Not sure that it's good news for Sons that Rangers will be staying in the Championship. Surely it only means that the other clubs have the opportunity to increase the income gap relative to ourselves, due to their ability to host a significantly larger visiting support when Rangers come calling?

Not sure that it's good news for Sons that Rangers will be staying in the Championship. Surely it only means that the other clubs have the opportunity to increase the income gap relative to ourselves, due to their ability to host a significantly larger visiting support when Rangers come calling?

Cue the debate about temporary stands again.

Think it's fairly obvious that a temporary stand could have been used to accommodate many more paying Rangers' fans. It may also have had the additional benefit of keeping the cnuts out of our end of the stadium. Sadly we missed the best opportunity to make some cash out of this last season when we had 3 home games against them plus 2 against Hearts who also carried a large travelling support.

I'm not saying that a temporary stand should be put up but there's no doubt we could fill it against Rangers.

Didn't we report 2 or 3 'sell outs' last season? When you take into consideration segregation and press etc it's always going to be lower than the full capacity number.

I think Wilf said on here that the last Rangers game was sold out but there were a good few seats in the home end still available.

Think it's fairly obvious that a temporary stand could have been used to accommodate many more paying Rangers' fans. It may also have had the additional benefit of keeping the cnuts out of our end of the stadium. Sadly we missed the best opportunity to make some cash out of this last season when we had 3 home games against them plus 2 against Hearts who also carried a large travelling support.

How much cash would it have made us? I've spoken with the Trust on this before and the club have looked at it. It's not as easy as just throwing up a stand and coining it in and it'd be likely that we make very little from it, if anything at all.

Also, all of the chat RE: Rangers in this thread has been about how we'd rather they fucked off out the league due to the hassle that comes with them and now we're touting throwing up stands to let thousands more of the c***s in. f**k them.

I think Wilf said on here that the last Rangers game was sold out but there were a good few seats in the home end still available.

How much cash would it have made us? I've spoken with the Trust on this before and the club have looked at it. It's not as easy as just throwing up a stand and coining it in and it'd be likely that we make very little from it, if anything at all.

Also, all of the chat RE: Rangers in this thread has been about how we'd rather they fucked off out the league due to the hassle that comes with them and now we're touting throwing up stands to let thousands more of the c***s in. f**k them.

Alan said this when I talked to him beginning of last season. It just wasn't worth it. Not looking forward to the pish that happened this season. Was looking forward to a trip to Motherwell, never been there on a matchday.

I'm not suggesting we put in additional accommodation this season. I'm saying we should have done it last season. Lower league teams did it for 2 home games against Rangers. We ended up with 3 plus 2 against Hearts but did nothing when we had the additional benefit of being able to charge Championship prices. The club line has always been the potential planning problems, etc, but personally I think they didn't look into it was because it could have proved that our existing ground could cope with additional capacity thereby scuppering their plans to realise cash by relocating elsewhere.

Unfortunately it isnt as easy as just sticking up a few rented temp stands.

The first hurdle the club would need to overcome is planning consent. I've never bought into the bad neighbour nonsense but are the council really likely to allow temp stands to be put up? Possibly but theres a good chance that it would be a flat out refusal.

Then theres the police. Would they be willing to let an increased number of fans access the ground via a single cul-de-sac road?

Now add in the cost of hiring the temp stands, installing them and then re-installing the security fencing around the park.

For 3 games a season? Would it really have been a big boost to the club finances?

Unfortunately it isnt as easy as just sticking up a few rented temp stands.

The first hurdle the club would need to overcome is planning consent. I've never bought into the bad neighbour nonsense but are the council really likely to allow temp stands to be put up? Possibly but theres a good chance that it would be a flat out refusal.

Then theres the police. Would they be willing to let an increased number of fans access the ground via a single cul-de-sac road?

Now add in the cost of hiring the temp stands, installing them and then re-installing the security fencing around the park.

For 3 games a season? Would it really have been a big boost to the club finances?

Based on the figures I was told the answer was a resounding No. Putting aside Planning considerations, it is not simply a case of flinging up a stand on the Friday afternoon and taking it down again on the Sunday - the hire is more long term than that and as such it is totally uneconomic for basically two games.

So let's kill this one stone deid as it's a total non-runner.

I agree Frank.

It would have been a season-long deal for the temp stands at least. Its not a case of getting them in and set up for the 2 or 3 games you need them for. They still need to be paid for and maintained when they're sitting empty for games against everybody else.