Sons' sorrow

Do allied still have major sponsorship with Dumbarton? Do aggreko sponsor the sons? Sadly there are very little major private companies left in this area. Dumbarton seem to depend on small companies for their sponsorship programme, where is sir Hugh Fraser when you need him?

No is the answer to the first part. No is the answer to the second part. I can tell you from experience in trying to encourage sponsorship from one of the major companies you mention that DFC falls considerably short of the profile which said company would seek involvement with - they are up their own arse in other words.

Small businesses are the way to go for clubs like us, and I cannot believe the negativity surrounding Alec Couper's willingness to get involved. FFS, we had a ground called 'Boghead' for over 100 years, that was hardly the Champs Elysee. Never mind the complete and utter pretension of referring to a single breeze-block stand as a 'stadium', no matter whose name is in front of it.

About 95% of the town couldn't give a f**k about the local football team, including our council. The fact we can find a local businessman who is willing to invest and has a genuine interest in the club deserves huge praise. Trust me, when it's my generation owning the local businesses you'll be lucky if you can find one of them who care about Dumbarton FC.

Unfortunately you can't force people to take an interest in the club, and we suffer from the OF influence like every other club, but Dumbarton haven't exactly reached out to the community in recent years. Where are the free tickets to school kids I used to get as a youngster? Or reduced tickets for those on low income or unemployment? Maybe it's been looked at and for whatever reason wasn't deemed viable but it needs to be a two way street and too often the club fall short on the communication and PR front. In my opinion of course.

An initiative where a child under 12 goes free with every paying adult wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion.

I've had a few problems when contacting the club in recent years; most recently another unsuccessful attempt to renew my season ticket. If businesses get the same level of service it'd be no surprise to me if they took their business elsewhere.

Unfortunately you can't force people to take an interest in the club, and we suffer from the OF influence like every other club, but Dumbarton haven't exactly reached out to the community in recent years. Where are the free tickets to school kids I used to get as a youngster? Or reduced tickets for those on low income or unemployment? Maybe it's been looked at and for whatever reason wasn't deemed viable but it needs to be a two way street and too often the club fall short on the communication and PR front. In my opinion of course.

An initiative where a child under 12 goes free with every paying adult wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion.

I've had a few problems when contacting the club in recent years; most recently another unsuccessful attempt to renew my season ticket. If businesses get the same level of service it'd be no surprise to me if they took their business elsewhere.

Great points Jordo - any business which answers a customer query with the response 'You need to...' is on shaky ground.