Sons' sorrow

I'm actually quite happy to see this result although not surprised one little bit. It might save some of the more excitable fans from getting carried away. At the same time it is a pre season friendly and nothing seriously can be taken by this can it?? Folk actually getting bothered by losing a friendly to a decent side in the league below... silly really. We still need to strengthen our squad a little and I am sure the management team know this already. Let's not get carried away either way though.

Edited by squeezeboxson

Not been overly convinced by what I've seen of Thomson if I'm honest. His versatility may be useful but the fact hes a 'right back, right midfielder or a striker' would suggest to me he isn't actually good enough to nail down a specific position.

Would probably rather we didn't sign him, or Moutinho.

Not been overly convinced by what I've seen of Thomson if I'm honest. His versatility may be useful but the fact hes a 'right back, right midfielder or a striker' would suggest to me he isn't actually good enough to nail down a specific position.

Would probably rather we didn't sign him, or Moutinho.

I'm pretty much with you in this, I'd rather use the two wages to get a proven striker in, I'm sure we could probably still give moutinho the under 19's gig,and free up some of his expected wage that he'd expect from playing,

Every club in the league is looking for a proven striker, there aren't many around. Any striker coming in will be a risk, it's more than likely going to be a young guy on loan as well.I'd agree that Moutinho shouldn't be signed though.

Steven Craig and Paul Heffernan are the two I can think of off the top of my head. Whether or not you could consider them 'proven' is up for debate. Never been impressed by Heffernan if I'm honest but Craig is someone who has impressed me in the past. Both getting on a bit now and no idea if they'd be looking to go part-time.

I reckon it will be a loan that comes in.

Right Back, Right mid or upfront apparently. Played in defence in the previous friendlies IIRC.

Sure he came off the bench on the right wing against Hearts.

Steven Craig and Paul Heffernan are the two I can think of off the top of my head. Whether or not you could consider them 'proven' is up for debate. Never been impressed by Heffernan if I'm honest but Craig is someone who has impressed me in the past. Both getting on a bit now and no idea if they'd be looking to go part-time.

I reckon it will be a loan that comes in.

I liked Heffernan at Blues (when he wasn't inexplicably being shunted out to the left). A hardworking forward who could score the odd goal, but he wasn't a speed demon and he's aged a few years since then. .

Heffernan and Craig, neither of whom have proven to bring goals. I don't think either of them would be terrible options, certainly better than Moutinho but my point is there just aren't proven strikers out there and if there are then we're more than likely down the pecking order. When you see Falkirk taking a punt on McHugh and Queens bringing Hilson and a young lad from Motherwell in it shows there just isn't that much to choose from. Which is why I think we took Smith when the chance was there. A young guy on loan would be ideal, Shankland for example but whether that's viable or not I don't know.

Apparently Morton sniffing around Craig too so would need to want to go part time to come to us. Would happily take another youngster similar to Chris Kane however that is a gamble, May be a plan to get an experienced head in with a youngster alongside? Not sure if finances would allow such a move though!

Correct decision not to offer Thomson a deal from what I seen of him, hope he can get something sorted elsewhere.

Good to see Stevie isn't rushing into signing a striker, that is one signing that we really have to get right. As Moonster says, there doesn't seem to be all that many good strikers kicking about at the minute so it will be interesting to see what trialists will be in the squad against the Bankies.

I'm actually quite happy to see this result although not surprised one little bit. It might save some of the more excitable fans from getting carried away. At the same time it is a pre season friendly and nothing seriously can be taken by this can it?? Folk actually getting bothered by losing a friendly to a decent side in the league below... silly really. We still need to strengthen our squad a little and I am sure the management team know this already. Let's not get carried away either way though.

Couldn't agree more. Hopefully this result curbs the excessive optimism that followed the win over an under strength Hearts team.

Couldn't agree more. Hopefully this result curbs the excessive optimism that followed the win over an under strength Hearts team.

Excessive optimism? I must have missed that.

We have looked good in pre-season so far, albeit I never seen the closed door games against Partick and Stranraer. There's a bit of positivity and good buzz around the place just now but I've certainly not seen anyone geting carried away. Most folk have been happy to admit that pre-season means hee haw whilst quite rightly praising the new manager and squad for how they have been going about their business.