Sons' sorrow

Got some good news on the streaming front.

As well as it being on Alba the league are allowing us to stream the home leg of the playoff final. It will be the usual set up. Season ticket holders will get it as part of their subscription and there will be the usual ppv option.

So season ticket holders who don't yet feel safe enough to attend an event and want their usual Sons TV commentary are in luck.

Looks like we'll have Sam Wardrop and Daniel Church joining Chris on commentary while Fraser is skiving off.

Work is also ongoing to maximise attendance for Thursday as well. The club will update when they can on that front.

We can't do much until we know what league we'll be playing in next season. I'd hope that regardless of that, the board have realised that Duffy needs to go. This season has been a disaster and whilst he's had a lot to deal with, Duffy is not the man to lead the Sons into next season. Confirm our league on Thursday and I'd hope we'd be speaking to potential new managers as early as the weekend. I'd expect the job to find Duffy's replacement to start on Friday morning. We need to have our new manager confirmed and working on the squad by the end of the month.

11 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We can't do much until we know what league we'll be playing in next season. I'd hope that regardless of that, the board have realised that Duffy needs to go. This season has been a disaster and whilst he's had a lot to deal with, Duffy is not the man to lead the Sons into next season. Confirm our league on Thursday and I'd hope we'd be speaking to potential new managers as early as the weekend. I'd expect the job to find Duffy's replacement to start on Friday morning. We need to have our new manager confirmed and working on the squad by the end of the month.

Until the outcomes of the recent takeover become clear we are really in the land of the unknown, and the managerial situation is but one aspect of that.  Logic suggests that once the Play-Off is decided then plans will be very quickly enacted, but in the absence of any hard evidence that could be a bold assumption.  All we have at present are press releases.

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

Hopeful it's someone like Jim McIntyre. Don't even know what he's up to?

Aggy released by East Fife. He's already got some coaching experience (I think).

Kind of high risk/potentially high reward appointment we could be looking at if he's ready to hang up his boots? Keep him registered as a player for emergency cover, but expect him to spend most of his time as a non-playing manager?

The way the season is configured now really gives clubs very little time to prepare. In the past the season would end at the start of May and begin at the start of August. So you had a three month break. Now with the play offs and league cup groups you’re lucky if you get half that

45 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Aggy released by East Fife. He's already got some coaching experience (I think).

Kind of high risk/potentially high reward appointment we could be looking at if he's ready to hang up his boots? Keep him registered as a player for emergency cover, but expect him to spend most of his time as a non-playing manager?

He's off to Darvel for a retirement fund.

3 hours ago, son hawk said:

Same here, but I can’t help thinking we’ll be playing catch up for yet another season.

Very much this. The current board have history for allowing things to rumble on meaning we are left scraping the barrell and I can see this close season being much the same unless the Norweigans have some plans laid out. Perhaps the Norweigans haven’t had a chance to suss things out and are happy for the current board to deal with things until they are properly in the door, if that’s the case I can’t see us having any managerial targets, it will be the old applications route which will take longer. 

We need swift action, we need a new gaffer appointed within a matter weeks and we need whoever that is to go out and sign decent players for this level - actual targets for certain positions to suit a style of play. The thought of another pre season of Duffy signing exit trial rejects and duds no one else wants is enough to send you over the edge. When you think back on how horrific his signings have been and badly he goes about his business in the close season it really is miraculous he’s lasted this long. It’s gone from one of the most exciting times of the year to the most predictable and boring.

Imagine we offered him a new deal...

3 hours ago, the snudge said:

Hopeful it's someone like Jim McIntyre. Don't even know what he's up to?

I think I’d prefer a younger guy taking his first steps into management than someone like McIntyre. His last job was a disaster and his stint at Ross County wasn’t exactly great. Our most successful recent period came by going down that route and I’d like to see us try it again.

If the Norweigans are already working on things and one of their main aims is to have young foreign players playing for us then I’d fully expect them to pick a manager who will be happy to take players on board he knows nothing about. I reckon that could narrow our search considerably and we could be looking at someone coming in who we’ve never heard of.

Or we could just be keeping Ol’ Jim...

I think I’d prefer a younger guy taking his first steps into management than someone like McIntyre. His last job was a disaster and his stint at Ross County wasn’t exactly great. Our most successful recent period came by going down that route and I’d like to see us try it again.
If the Norweigans are already working on things and one of their main aims is to have young foreign players playing for us then I’d fully expect them to pick a manager who will be happy to take players on board he knows nothing about. I reckon that could narrow our search considerably and we could be looking at someone coming in who we’ve never heard of.
Or we could just be keeping Ol’ Jim...

Like Paul Martin and David Winnie you mean?

They were awful

Like Paul Martin and David Winnie you mean?

They were awful
Every managerial appointment carries a risk of failure for whatever reason. You can't rule out an inexperienced manager simply because a similar previous one didn't work.