Sons' sorrow

10 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

Up until about a month or so ago I would've said we should maybe looking at seeing if we could basically replace Wylde and Wilson as it seemed they'd spend the season sitting on the bench. But they've came into the team and having a really good impact. 

I'd like us to still try and strengthen if possible and a striker to essentially replace Gemmell. But even for my first point I'd say we have cover in all areas and we've got to this point of the season top of the league. 

Garrity will presumably be away and I'd be interested to see what Callum Wilson is like after his loan spell?   

Yep, same. I've been banging on all season on here that we're light on numbers and short on cover, but the subs/fringe players have all come in when required and played their way into the starting XI. I also agree with Farrell's policy of those in possession of a jersey retain them until injury or defeat necessitate change. It's working and if it ain't broke...

The take away from all this is essentially that I don't know anything about football.

10 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

@The Moonster is just a young whippersnapper and he falls right into this category. He still doesn’t like internet banking.

I heard he still goes to the bank branch once a week with his cheque book to pay his bills and draw out cash for the week as he doesn't understand direct debit or ATMs.

Insists on getting his wages in a brown pay packet with the tax deductions written in pencil on the front.

2 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Yep, same. I've been banging on all season on here that we're light on numbers and short on cover, but the subs/fringe players have all come in when required and played their way into the starting XI. I also agree with Farrell's policy of those in possession of a jersey retain them until injury or defeat necessitate change. It's working and if it ain't broke...

The take away from all this is essentially that I don't know anything about football.

It could be interesting to see how we approach the striker thing though. Given we ended up signing Gemmell in the end and Faz has made it clear that he doesn't think there are many options out there etc. I don't think things will have changed much since the summer in that regard either. I feel like this year we have hardly used the loan market and it feels strange.

As I say, I'm really not sure what route we will take but surely we need to bring in a striker I think as I felt even on Saturday we lacked cutting edge in the final third and in particular in the opposition box.

5 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

I heard he still goes to the bank branch once a week with his cheque book to pay his bills and draw out cash for the week as he doesn't understand direct debit or ATMs.

Insists on getting his wages in a brown pay packet with the tax deductions written in pencil on the front.

Wages? I don't even get them any more.

On 01/12/2022 at 11:05, O'Kelly Isley III said:

A reminder that on Tuesday 13th December at 6.00pm at Dumbarton Public Library, and as part of the programme of events for our 150th Anniversary, Richard McBrearty, Curator of the Scottish Football Museum, will be giving a talk on the the impact of Dunbartonshire on the early development of the game which led to this area becoming known as the 'Cradle Of Scottish Football' 

Attendance is free and to assist the WDC Heritage team we would encourage reservations to be made via the following link:-

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dunbartonshire-and-the-birth-of-the-modern-game-talk-tickets-466319583427

Final shout-out for this one.......

52 minutes ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

Does anyone know if the club still have the pitch covers. Hopefully they put them on Friday night to give Sat game best chance of going ahead 

There’s nae point in putting covers down on an already frozen pitch and they’ll only work for fairly mild temperatures (it got to -9 last night). With last Saturday’s Rangers B game being postponed I think we can probably assume this Saturday is in the seriously doubtful category. Friday and Saturday’s temperatures look a good bit milder but I can’t imagine it will be enough to thaw the pitch.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

There’s nae point in putting covers down on an already frozen pitch and they’ll only work for fairly mild temperatures (it got to -9 last night). With last Saturday’s Rangers B game being postponed I think we can probably assume this Saturday is in the seriously doubtful category. Friday and Saturday’s temperatures look a good bit milder but I can’t imagine it will be enough to thaw the pitch.

I'd class this weeks game in the 'not a chance' category. The pitch is like concrete just now. It will take more than a day at just above freezing to thaw it out. Astro pitches across the country were dropping like flies at the weekend and that's when you know its cold.

I dont even think covers would've helped, Auchinleck apparently had covers down for their midweek game against clydebank and it still failed a late pitch inspection.

I'd love it to be on but I just can't see it. Im meant to be making a day of it with my mates but looks like contingency plans have already been drawn up.

5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It hasn't risen above about -4 all day. Was -7 on my drive to work this morning and -6 on the way home.

Game has as much chance of going ahead as I do of a dream date with Scarlett Johansson. 

I was at the stadium all day and it was -4 all day, dropping to -5/-6 as I headed home. Not a hope in hell we'll have it playable (which is no fault of the ground staff and nothing to do with pitch covers, just a natural fact of life when it's consistently below freezing outside).

4 hours ago, George Parr said:

At least there's milder weather forecast in the run up to the 150th match v EF. Would have been a blow if that one fell to the conditions.

Yes, that's a big day for so many reasons.  If the Stenny game is postponed as we expect then at least there is no fixture backlog at present, and maybe Faz will have been able to freshen the squad by the time it is played.

As you might have seen on social media last week, we've got a special souvenir edition of the Lennox out this week to mark 150 years of DFC. It was something I pushed a wee bit to do to mark the occasion, and hopefully it'll be reflected in the sales that it was worth the extra hours and resources.

It's available in all the usual places from tomorrow (or tonight in some shops I think? Went to print at half 2) and it'll also be on sale at the stadium pre-match on Saturday.

Buy it. Put it away in a drawer and pass it on to the grandweans.

394086374_DFC150Promo(1)-1.thumb.png.aeec9d3584408564a074f922da4f7157.png

1 minute ago, George Parr said:

Is that CT Chris Turner in one of the images? That's worth the purchase alone.

It is! I tried to find the most all-star image from that season that I could. Kieran MacDonald is the interloper - but Aggy, CT, Andy Graham and Garry Fleming was too good a picture to turn down!

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It is! I tried to find the most all-star image from that season that I could. Kieran MacDonald is the interloper - but Aggy, CT, Andy Graham and Garry Fleming was too good a picture to turn down!

I'd say the run of form CT produced in the Championship before succumbing to injury and fitness issues is probably the most complete I've seen from any Sons midfielder. For a few months he was untouchable.