Sons' sorrow

Disappointing we won't have him for Saturday but he should be a good signing.

What are the rules about Trialists in the Ramsdens/Petrofact cup? I seem to remember Ian Black playing for Rangers in similar circumstances when they were liquidated/relegated and became a new club/stayed the same club.

What are the rules about Trialists in the Ramsdens/Petrofact cup? I seem to remember Ian Black playing for Rangers in similar circumstances when they were liquidated/relegated and became a new club/stayed the same club.

I was hoping he could play as a trialist too but going by the way it's worded it doesn't look likely.

Wonder what the hassle with registration is? He has been officially released by Wycombe so I don't understand it.

I'm unsure, give us a minute...

Boromir_Horn_of_Gondor.jpg

You lot have recruited very well this summer. Just wish Duffy would get his finger out his ar*e and start strengthening our squad or we're in for a long hard season. A few of the players you've picked up would've walked into our first team, including Craig.

Trialists are allowed in the first round

Craig is another very decent signing. Thought I'd pull up a teamsheet from the last game we won (1-0 v Falkirk) and compare the new signings to the players who were last in their positions. Obviously it's too early to tell how players will be for us, but I think we all have an opinion.

That day we lined up:

Rogers

Taggart Graham Findlay Wilson

Gilhaney Turner Agnew Megginson

Campbell Fleming

Subs (used) Easton & Duggan

Rogers v Brown

Lets be fair, whoever replaced Danny was going to have a tough job. I've not been fully convinced by Brown yet either.

Rogers win

Findlay v Barr

Whilst both a very different players, they both have similarities. They are leaders, powerful and strong in the air and both are very comfortable with the ball at their feet.

I like Barr a lot, but Findlay was different class.

Findlay win

Wilson v Waters/Docherty

Lets be honest, they can't be any worse. Docherty slipped up for the goal at the weekend, but at least he can cross a ball. Waters looks very decent.

Waters/Docherty win

Gilhaney v Cawley

Lots of running, a great workrate and the occasional decent cross summed up Gils. A great player to have in the squad, but his legs were starting to catch up with him. Cawley looks a similar player to Gils when he first joined, and as such I'd rather have him.

Cawley win

Turner v Routledge

Injury prone, slightly mental defensive midfielders...both of whom don't score often and pick up a lot of cautions. Difficult to pick them apart.

Draw

Agnew v Gallagher

Ok, I might be getting too excited too soon. But Grant Gallagher looks like an outstanding player. He's as strong and powerful as Turner but with the abillity to ping a ball out like Aggy...oh and with the added bonus he can actually run at defenders with it (something Aggy didn't do anywhere near enough throughout his time with us)

Gallagher win

Megginson v Gibson

Only one winner here.

Gibson win

Campbell v Smith

Archie was poor last season, and Smith appears to have the same ability infront of goal. Both players look good in other areas, but neither seem to be able to stick the ball in the net.

Draw

Easton v #666

Easton has a lot of talent...he just didn't really ever show it. Who knows what Darren is like, been a mixed bag so far, at least he can tackle people which Easton I don't think ever managed.

Draw

Duggan v Craig

We all wanted to love Chris Duggan. Problem was that he never really looked like a striker. I think he managed about one shot on goal during his entire time with the club! Craig's career goal record is stronger at a higher level. I'm very hopeful he'll continue where he left off with Thistle a few years back.

Craig win

Looking back at that teamsheet scared me a bit :lol: I'd managed to forget about Easton, Wilson and Duggan! I think we're looking an awful lot stronger on paper (and first showing) than last season. But the games not played on...etc.

Thought I'd chuck this in as well

Mair v Buchanan

Lee Mair :lol:

Buchanan win

Good post S08 but rather than looking at the players individually, the squad as a whole appears to have a much better balance to it. Last season we were asking people like Gils and Megginson to play in a very narrow midfield, asking Aggie to sit deeper, playing Taggart wherever the f**k we could fit him in and looking for Nish to cause some problems with long balls.

This year it seems we have players who fit a system and we're playing that system. We have strong centre backs and centre midfielders with creativity on the flanks and behind the striker. The addition of Craig could be exactly what we need to bring it all together as well but I'm expecting another slow start with so many new additions.

EDIT - From that team you've posted S08, I'd only take Findlay and Turner back, although Turner's coat would be on a shoogly peg depending on the form of Gall.

Edited by The Moonster

Far too early for such a post, give it 6 league games at least before judgment, but I also think we look stronger in all departments, bit harsh on Brown in particular, I thought he looked commanding against hearts, and the whole team weren't wonderful otherwise

Easton v #666

Easton has a lot of talent...he just didn't really ever show it. Who knows what Darren is like, been a mixed bag so far, at least he can tackle people which Easton I don't think ever managed.

Draw

You better pray to whatever god you believe in that #666 doesn't see you claim a draw when comparing him with Easton.

I fear for your well-being.