Sons' sorrow

Getting a bit nervous in here. ;) I really hope we don't come ninth. I'm really confident we'd win the play-offs but I really can't be arsed with trips to Stranraer and possibly Peterhead.

Getting a bit nervous in here. ;) I really hope we don't come ninth. I'm really confident we'd win the play-offs but I really can't be arsed with trips to Stranraer and possibly Peterhead.

Nice one. That's the incentive to finish eighth.

I'm saying it's a conspiracy to be honest... we were denied a victory over Falkirk just a couple of weeks ago through some horrendous decisions. If they had gone our way then we wouldn't even be looking down right now ;)

Beat them next week and I'll take you off the hit list, Waspie.

Just leave me on the list. Then I can enjoy the 3 points at Livingston with the added bonus of knowing I get to kick your head in.

Alloa have actually been playing ok. The two biggest disappointments were not turning up for the game against Livingston that would have brought us right back into it, then the farcical manner in which we lost to you lot a few days later, despite not playing that badly. We were a few seconds away from beating Raith at the Recs and the general feeling was that we really should have beaten St Mirren on Saturday. We did lose 4-1 at Cappielow in between, but even then there were a couple of late goals after a spell in which Alloa had been pushing for an equaliser.

Basically, we're not good enough but we are at least competitive and capable of grabbing points here and there, and hopefully we'll do that on Saturday.

Edited by Waspie

Wee bit of nostalgia for a Tuesday morning.

What's the best Dumbarton goal you've seen scored in the flesh?

Denis "Big D" McLaughlin hit a 40 or 50 yard volley against 'Shire in a Tuesday night game at the Rock a few years ago that was utterly sublime and always sticks in my head as a great goal.

Has to be Prunty's second overhead, although big Denzo's belter against the Shire is another that sticks out.

Mind Stevie Murray's lob from halfway against Berwick in a 5-2 win in 2008? Tried it earlier and hit the bar, tried a second time and it was tipped over, tried a third time and it floated straight in. That was a belter.

When was SonsTV first invented with Gaz? I think it was about then in which case the club should make a 2008/09 celebratory DVD which I'd love to buy. Real shame when they took the highlights off the OS

Anyone mind Big Bad Bobby Mann's 500 yard goal down the Rock? Dr Jan was in goal i think.

He volleyed that in from the half way line, some hit but it was heavily wind/Jan assisted.

Take any one of Prunty's overhead kicks, if there's been better goals for us then I haven't seen them.

Anyone mind Big Bad Bobby Mann's 500 yard goal down the Rock? Dr Jan was in goal i think.

I remember it well. I also remember Jan taking a goal kick that bounced behind for a corner due to the wind in that game.

Did an Arbroath player not also score from about 60 yards against us at Gayfield with Mikey White in goals that season?

Has to be Prunty's second overhead, although big Denzo's belter against the Shire is another that sticks out.

Mind Stevie Murray's lob from halfway against Berwick in a 5-2 win in 2008? Tried it earlier and hit the bar, tried a second time and it was tipped over, tried a third time and it floated straight in. That was a belter.

When was SonsTV first invented with Gaz? I think it was about then in which case the club should make a 2008/09 celebratory DVD which I'd love to buy. Real shame when they took the highlights off the OS

f**k, I was there for Ruby's goal against Berwick too. The ol' memory isn't what it used to be.

3rd - Charlie Gibson scored a cracker into the top corner from outside the box v Killie, when Killie visited midweek late in the season the year they were looking shoe-ins to go up from the (2nd?).  Taps aff evening, and Killie, as they do when they're going well, brought a very decent support with them, so Boghead was packed.  Chico's early goal fair shut them up (though they went on to win 2-1 iirc).  During Tommy Burns' era at Killie, and, as usual, after the match he gave Sons no credit at all for playing their part in a cracking match.

2nd - a beautiful Martin Mooney backheel played John McQuade clean through from just over the half way line v Morton.  Morton's keeper, realising that there are ships in the Clyde that could turn quicker than the defenders he had in front of him at the time, started coming out, and McQuade, rather than going through all the hassle of trying to go round him, just casually slotted it past the keeper from about 35 yards before the keeper could narrow any angles.

1st - that goal from Albert Craig v Clyde in '84 that put us up to the Premier.  Orgasmic.

That goal still fills me with dread.

Horrible conditions. Wet and windy. I'm not sure which side of the half way line he was but if he was in our half then it was by a couple of feet at most.