Sons' sorrow

Here's something I was thinking about tonight, the answers to two questions which sum up:

A) Why we are where we are

B) Why we literally have no idea what division we'll be in next season

The questions are:

What is our best starting eleven, formation and gameplan?

Are we good enough to stay up?

The first question has made me think an awful, awful lot. I still don't fully know. I think it'd be along the lines of:

Ewings

Taggart ???? Wright Docherty

???? Lindsay ???? ????

Nade ????

At this stage in the season we should have a settled team, formation and gameplan. The fact we don't sums up why we're in this situation.

The second question isn't are the squad good enough for this division. It isn't is Aitken up to managing at this level. It is simply are we good enough? Because I have no clue. 

A few months ago Andy Galloway tweeted "Could the real Dumbarton please stand up" and I thought that was a cracking way of putting it. In some games we look like we'll stay up in this division no bother (Falkirk and Hibernian recently) whilst in others we look way out of our depth (Queen of the South and Livingston away)

Hence I have no idea if we'll stay up, and how we'll do it. Not a single clue. That lack of consistency - maybe due to the lack of a settled team - is also alarming at this stage. It's just weird.

In previous season's we've known where we stand. We've had some terrible teams that have deserved to struggle, we've had some average teams who we would be confident would stay in a league, but not get above, say, 6th. We've had some tremendous teams who we get a real buzz from watching. I've felt all three emotions about this team in the past couple of months. Again I have no clue what they really are.

Anyway, just something that I thought I'd stick out there.

I still believe a place in that line up for Garry Fleming

Yup, but where? I think he's best in central midfield, but can him and Lindsay play together or does that leave us too exposed defensively? Up front, aye, but he hasn't exactly been great there, and I'm not sure him and Nade can play together.

See what I mean?! This is a really difficult thing to answer. Do we use a different formation all together?!

Aye, I spend too much of my time thinking about football  :lol:

Xfleming could play off nade in a 4231 as in some games formations can change.

Issue is who to play wide. We are excited enough central players but they can't all play at the one tim which is what stevia tries to do.

Maybe we will find out in next few weeks what our best team is ..

Here's something I was thinking about tonight, the answers to two questions which sum up:

A) Why we are where we are

B) Why we literally have no idea what division we'll be in next season

The questions are:

What is our best starting eleven, formation and gameplan?

Are we good enough to stay up?

The first question has made me think an awful, awful lot. I still don't fully know. I think it'd be along the lines of:

Ewings

Taggart ???? Wright Docherty

???? Lindsay ???? ????

Nade ????

At this stage in the season we should have a settled team, formation and gameplan. The fact we don't sums up why we're in this situation.

The second question isn't are the squad good enough for this division. It isn't is Aitken up to managing at this level. It is simply are we good enough? Because I have no clue. 

A few months ago Andy Galloway tweeted "Could the real Dumbarton please stand up" and I thought that was a cracking way of putting it. In some games we look like we'll stay up in this division no bother (Falkirk and Hibernian recently) whilst in others we look way out of our depth (Queen of the South and Livingston away)

Hence I have no idea if we'll stay up, and how we'll do it. Not a single clue. That lack of consistency - maybe due to the lack of a settled team - is also alarming at this stage. It's just weird.

In previous season's we've known where we stand. We've had some terrible teams that have deserved to struggle, we've had some average teams who we would be confident would stay in a league, but not get above, say, 6th. We've had some tremendous teams who we get a real buzz from watching. I've felt all three emotions about this team in the past couple of months. Again I have no clue what they really are.

Anyway, just something that I thought I'd stick out there.

It's fair to question all of that, I have a St Mirren fan at work who asks what our result will be each week. I can't give him a straight answer.

I would hazard a guess that we don't know the answers because we haven't put together any run of form all season. So we don't know what our best formation/team is and probably why the management are continually tinkering. 

I stated on the Morton game thread that the management simply don't know how to attack teams and this is the most concerning thing for me, under Murray we were still the PT underdogs but at least you knew the team could have a go and attack sides, I just don't see this in the current team.

It's fair to question all of that, I have a St Mirren fan at work who asks what our result will be each week. I can't give him a straight answer.

I would hazard a guess that we don't know the answers because we haven't put together any run of form all season. So we don't know what our best formation/team is and probably why the management are continually tinkering.

I stated on the Morton game thread that the management simply don't know how to attack teams and this is the most concerning thing for me, under Murray we were still the PT underdogs but at least you knew the team could have a go and attack sides, I just don't see this in the current team.

To be fair, the last 6 months under Murray was no better than we have been seeing this season. We also had no attack whatsoever in that period either so we weren't having a go at anyone really. The difference between this season and the last couple is that Murray managed to get us safe by this point in the season (more or less), meaning we didn't have to worry about the teams below us having a chance of catching us.

To be fair, the last 6 months under Murray was no better than we have been seeing this season. We also had no attack whatsoever in that period either so we weren't having a go at anyone really. The difference between this season and the last couple is that Murray managed to get us safe by this point in the season (more or less), meaning we didn't have to worry about the teams below us having a chance of catching us.

Murray had some astute loanees like Chris Kane and Stuart Findlay and also the excellent one-season presence of Paul McGinn.  He also benefitted from Livvy being deducted 5 points last season.

But please, can we finally now consign Ian Murray to the record books ??

Murray had some astute loanees like Chris Kane and Stuart Findlay and also the excellent one-season presence of Paul McGinn. He also benefitted from Livvy being deducted 5 points last season.

But please, can we finally now consign Ian Murray to the record books ??

That is a fair point also, if Livingston had been deducted 5 points this season - as they were last - we would be just about safe right now.

Murray had some astute loanees like Chris Kane and Stuart Findlay and also the excellent one-season presence of Paul McGinn.  He also benefitted from Livvy being deducted 5 points last season. But please, can we finally now consign Ian Murray to the record books ??
The point was the difference in our capacity to attack the opposition and Murray / Adamson are the only points of reference in this division with the latter not worth considering. True the last 6 months were turgid but that wasn't true over the whole tenure. The livi point is an interesting one. We finished 7 points ahead of them last season, do the math and we are in the exact same position just now. So there is hope.

Similar stories on both running threads.

Interesting on OS to read stevies take on game which differs from most fans I've spoke with particularly during and after the game.

He thinks we were competitive and it's a good point whilst a lot of fans think we didn't go at Morton at all and 2 points lost.

I agree with post that states we did create as many chances as Morton despite possession stats.

My concern is that at no time did our set up or approach look like we were going for it which pre match was what a lot of us hoped for.

Maybe part of yesterday's post match frustration is that we see where Morton are at but didn't think they were better than us.

Morton are better than us. Without a doubt.

Going beyond the livvy points deduction, mind we ve also had a season with a terrible morton team, cowden also were shocking. This the closest we ve been to the bottom 2 because the gap in quality is less and theres been no points penalties handed out

Morton are better than us. Without a doubt.

Going beyond the livvy points deduction, mind we ve also had a season with a terrible morton team, cowden also were shocking. This the closest we ve been to the bottom 2 because the gap in quality is less and theres been no points penalties handed out

Over course of season yes they have been but were they better yesterday,I think not but certainly a different approach.

A lot of talk about maybe our time is up in this league but if we play to ur potential we will survive.

From all the posts and reflection on yesterday I think the playing squad is good enough to survive. I'm sorry to say however I'm not sure the management team approach is good enough

The part-time team excuse doesn't really cut it with me. We've been competing in this league for a number of years now and even this season we've performed against full time teams like Hibs and St Mirren. This has been the toughest season yet with the strength of the other teams around us for sure, but I don't think that's a valid excuse for the inconsistency the team has shown.

I'm pretty pessimistic but I think we'll finish 9th. However I think Nade would fire us to safety in the playoffs. After that who knows? It really is a tough one because we've had some massive results and performances this season but for every one of those we have had a horror show. If this is something Aitken can address I am not sure.

The part-time team excuse doesn't really cut it with me. We've been competing in this league for a number of years now and even this season we've performed against full time teams like Hibs and St Mirren. This has been the toughest season yet with the strength of the other teams around us for sure, but I don't think that's a valid excuse for the inconsistency the team has shown.

I'm pretty pessimistic but I think we'll finish 9th. However I think Nade would fire us to safety in the playoffs. After that who knows? It really is a tough one because we've had some massive results and performances this season but for every one of those we have had a horror show. If this is something Aitken can address I am not sure.

And that fact that most of the team will know what the full time level is like so they should know where they should be with regards to their fitness levels etc.

I worry about a potential play off against Stranraer then Ayr/Peterhead. 8th is a must and I believe Steve can deliver. I might be the only optimistic one left but I'm here. I'll be at ibrox on Tuesday, dodging the lighters and coins to watch big Christian destroy the sevco.

Ps as I'm in Budapest on a stag and don't get back until Tuesday morning the game will be interesting

I'm optimistic, but I feel we must get at least 4 points, most likely against alloa and st mirren, debatable whether we need another overhaul, or another manager, I'd presume several players want a full time gig, I'm sorry guys but 8th or 9th, I wouldn't expect many phone calls based on this season, apart from maybe Nade, the other optimistic one's, are either too old, or haven't been good enough, personally, if we survive, let's give Stevie til October, see what league position, or points accumulation is like or, let him build till October, if we go down, and if we're still rotten, bring an experienced man in.

Edited by optimistic

Tbh if we stay up I'd stick with him, we are more likely to take points from Dundee Utd and/or killie than Rangers, we have proven we can beat/take points from everyone else. Dunfermline will be as always a pain in the arse but 6 points should be doable from them