Sons' sorrow

I don't agree. Sends out the wrong signals that we are a club that now won't give kids a chance as no way to progress to 1st team. We were probably struggling to attract the best local youngsters the way things were but I reckon we'll struggle more now.

Is it just a coincidence that the scrapping of the u-20s occurs when Gilbert is no longer with us? I understand he was a great advocate of our development scheme.

I also hear we have withdrawn from the community partnership that saw the new 4G pitch installed at Dumbarton east park. Why withdraw now when our input has resulted in a brand new 4G pitch? Again was Gilbert not heavily involved with this?

We maybe need some new blood down at the rock to challenge such decisions and drive us on.

What's the trust saying about this?

Why don't you email them and ask them?

You're on here slating the club for these things and don't know a single detail about them :lol: email the trust and they will provide answers.

While you're at it, ask how much we're going to save by scrapping the development squad. If it's the same figure I've heard mentioned you'll soon change your mind.

It might be a shame, it might be a blow to the children of the community but we're not a charity. If our funding gets cut we can't continue forking out silly money to keep runnin an inefficient youth set up just because it's 'nice' to have or because it's good for local weans.

You're on here slating the club for these things and don't know a single detail about them :lol: email the trust and they will provide answers.

While you're at it, ask how much we're going to save by scrapping the development squad. If it's the same figure I've heard mentioned you'll soon change your mind.

It might be a shame, it might be a blow to the children of the community but we're not a charity. If our funding gets cut we can't continue forking out silly money to keep runnin an inefficient youth set up just because it's 'nice' to have or because it's good for local weans.

That's what I was going to say. At the end of the day we are Dumbarton Football Club, not Dumbarton Youth Football Club, not Dumbarton Boys Club, not Dumbarton Community Club. The number one priority is the team we put out on the park, and if we have to scrap the youth system because the grants have been slashed then I don't see an issue with it. Youth football is horrifically expensive, and I doubt we receive any help from WDC or the SFA/SPFL in helping us to develop young talent.

Perhaps if, like Livingston for example, we'd had a few players come through it and then sold them on for decent money (Marc McNulty, Stefan Scougall, Andy Halliday, Coll Donaldson etc) then I would feel differently, but we haven't. We've had Nicky Devlin and Tony Wallace who we got development fees for, and who now play at a lower level, and that's been it. Most of our squad from last season came through OF clubs, and that's the way it'll be for the foreseeable. They have the best facilities, the most money, and the most coaches, and they'll hoover up all the talent. If they don't then other 'big clubs' will. As a business model (which at the end of the day is what football is) it doesn't make financial sense.

I think I'm right in saying we're keeping up the 17s? What I'd like to see us do is, if a player is identified as being a future star from the 17s, is sign him on a first-team contract and loan him out to a Junior team for a year. We could set up a sort of alliance with a Junior club and fire them our best youth team players to get them ready for first team action. That's far more beneficial to a 17 year old than playing in the glorified friendlies of the SPFL Dev League against fellow guys your age. Look at Garry who dropped down pretty low in the Juniors before working his way to Meadow and making the step back up as a far better player. Same with Buchanan who came through Armadale and Bathgate before stepping up with Airdrie.

I don't think it's fair, or right, to speculate the Gilbert's passing was in anyway related to this. Maybe it was, but unless you know something concrete it's not right to say. In my opinion at least.

Of course if they'd just bring back the Reserve League then this wouldn't be such a major issue...

That's what I was going to say. At the end of the day we are Dumbarton Football Club, not Dumbarton Youth Football Club, not Dumbarton Boys Club, not Dumbarton Community Club. The number one priority is the team we put out on the park, and if we have to scrap the youth system because the grants have been slashed then I don't see an issue with it. Youth football is horrifically expensive, and I doubt we receive any help from WDC or the SFA/SPFL in helping us to develop young talent.

Perhaps if, like Livingston for example, we'd had a few players come through it and then sold them on for decent money (Marc McNulty, Stefan Scougall, Andy Halliday, Coll Donaldson etc) then I would feel differently, but we haven't. We've had Nicky Devlin and Tony Wallace who we got development fees for, and who now play at a lower level, and that's been it. Most of our squad from last season came through OF clubs, and that's the way it'll be for the foreseeable. They have the best facilities, the most money, and the most coaches, and they'll hoover up all the talent. If they don't then other 'big clubs' will. As a business model (which at the end of the day is what football is) it doesn't make financial sense.

I think I'm right in saying we're keeping up the 17s? What I'd like to see us do is, if a player is identified as being a future star from the 17s, is sign him on a first-team contract and loan him out to a Junior team for a year. We could set up a sort of alliance with a Junior club and fire them our best youth team players to get them ready for first team action. That's far more beneficial to a 17 year old than playing in the glorified friendlies of the SPFL Dev League against fellow guys your age. Look at Garry who dropped down pretty low in the Juniors before working his way to Meadow and making the step back up as a far better player. Same with Buchanan who came through Armadale and Bathgate before stepping up with Airdrie.

I don't think it's fair, or right, to speculate the Gilbert's passing was in anyway related to this. Maybe it was, but unless you know something concrete it's not right to say. In my opinion at least.

Of course if they'd just bring back the Reserve League then this wouldn't be such a major issue...

Spot on, great post.

This Twitter digging is good fun. Having been through Thompson's following list I'd be pretty confident he's close to joining us. It's practically all lassies, and the odd lower league footballers. That's as good proof as anything for me!

This Twitter digging is good fun. Having been through Thompson's following list I'd be pretty confident he's close to joining us. It's practically all lassies, and the odd lower league footballers. That's as good proof as anything for me!

Done deal.

Next...

Done deal.

Next...

Agreed.

Looked through our followers on Twitter, and the most latest was Anton Nugent.

Welcome back Anton, you can't be any worse than Flappy McFlapFlap or whatever we Christened him.

Development league teams are not all boys playing at same age .....they can play 5 or 6 overage first team players and a keeper

Pro youth has always been a pyramid system with the old firm and Hamilton at the top for the best players and when crunch time comes from the jump from 17s to full time the boys who are binned get picked up by everybody else

Edited by holsten

I don't think questioning the decision to scrap the development team constitutes me slating the club. Where in my post do you suggest I was slating the club?