Sons' sorrow

Paul Heffernan any good these days lads? Word is he might be going part time at Stirling Albion next season. Was he full time with you guys?

Nope, our whole squad are part-time.

His legs have gone, but the brain is still there. Makes some clever runs and touches but let's himself down with his finishing. You'll find yourself saying "Go on the Heff...awww" frequently. Normally after he shows a decent bit of awareness, gets in a good position, takes his time and then misses.

I'd imagine he could score a few in League Two though.

I'm probably in the minority on here of not being too upset at the news concerning Aggy. Bringing players back seldom replicates previous days, and to be honest I'd rather we looked elsewhere anyway - Aggy had a lot of good moments here but there were also some very anonymous passages too.

I'm probably in the minority on here of not being too upset at the news concerning Aggy. Bringing players back seldom replicates previous days, and to be honest I'd rather we looked elsewhere anyway - Aggy had a lot of good moments here but there were also some very anonymous passages too.

That's got me thinking, who have we had in two separate permanent spells?

Recently I can think of:

David Winters - Decent in his first spell, moved to Vietnam, came back not the same player. Now playing Juniors

Ryan Borris - Decent first spell, moved to Raith, came back (via Stirling Albion and Ayr) not the same player. Went off in tears after being subbed as a sub. Now playing Juniors.

I see what you mean...

Thought of another one

David Gray - Very meh first spell, came back via the Kitsap Pumas and was slightly less meh. Now playing Juniors.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

I agree, Stephen Grindlay would be about the only one I can think of.

There are other players out there who can do a job.

I agree, Stephen Grindlay would be about the only one I can think of.

There are other players out there who can do a job.

How did I forgot Shay?!

It was only the ten years he was with us in my defense.

Ive always said no to bringing players back. I think some sons fans fall in love with favourites and push to get them back.

In recent times I've seen pushes for Russell Agnew Gordon geggan lister devlin to name but a few. I say no to all. Of these .

New blood

Ive always said no to bringing players back. I think some sons fans fall in love with favourites and push to get them back.

In recent times I've seen pushes for Russell Agnew Gordon geggan lister devlin to name but a few. I say no to all. Of these .

New blood

You can't just rule players out based on the fact they've been here before.

The likes of Russell, Geggan and Gordon would be good signings for us, argubly Agnew as well. Even Devlin looks to have had a cracking season at Ayr and could do a job.

When the likes of Prunty and Lister get chanted it's the nostalgia talking, but the guys mentioned above would all be very capable of doing a job. Whether they've been here before or not.

You can't just rule players out based on the fact they've been here before.

The likes of Russell, Geggan and Gordon would be good signings for us, argubly Agnew as well. Even Devlin looks to have had a cracking season at Ayr and could do a job.

When the likes of Prunty and Lister get chanted it's the nostalgia talking, but the guys mentioned above would all be very capable of doing a job. Whether they've been here before or not.

^^^Trying to stick up for his username imo

New blood

I'd have Russell back in a flash.

:lol:

Magine the #scenes if he returned and banged in 20 goals.

He popped up in my timehop today as it's a year since the Grindlay game

Flannery and Prunty up front  :wub:

Anyway, off the top of my head I've created an ex-Sons xi that I'd fancy to beat our squad from last season. I've included loan players because I can't be bothered thinking too hard

Danny Rogers

Paul McGinn Ben Gordon Stuart Findlay Paddy Boyle

Willie Gibson Andy Geggan Scott Agnew  

Iain Russell Jim Lister Chris Kane

4-3-3, Jimmy, Beany and Kane. Goals AOTS. Slotted Gibson in because:

A) I couldn't think of anyone else

B) Him with a striker to aim for in Lister would be far more effective than him aiming for Steven Craig.

Russell is on the downward spiral, still capable, but, I'd rather have a lister/gemmill/nade type who can ruffle a few defensive feathers, whilst linking up with our proposed striker

He might be on a downward spiral, but he's still scoring plenty at this level. By all accounts Thomson is a big unit, good in the air and powerful, so you'd want him alongside a nippy, wee guy to do the harrying and the scoring. Beany would suit that role perfectly.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

New blood

There shouldn't be any hard and fast thinking on it. Each case on its merits I'd say.

Russell is on the downward spiral, still capable, but, I'd rather have a lister/gemmill/nade type who can ruffle a few defensive feathers, whilst linking up with our proposed striker

His stats would suggest he's coping fine and there's no downward spiral. I also believe he flits between playing out wide and up front and see no reason why he wouldn't work alongside a Nade type.

11 league goals and 192 minutes per goal is a very decent return.

Chris Kane would be about the only "returnee" I'd like in a Sons shirt. Won't happen though. I do think we helped him along in his development as a player, Brophy too, has progressed.

Tom Walsh came onto his game, near the end of the season after being dropped for a spell, wouldn't be averse to bringing him back.

He popped up in my timehop today as it's a year since the Grindlay game

Flannery and Prunty up front :wub:

Anyway, off the top of my head I've created an ex-Sons xi that I'd fancy to beat our squad from last season. I've included loan players because I can't be bothered thinking too hard

Danny Rogers

Paul McGinn Ben Gordon Stuart Findlay Paddy Boyle

Willie Gibson Andy Geggan Scott Agnew

Iain Russell Jim Lister Chris Kane

4-3-3, Jimmy, Beany and Kane. Goals AOTS. Slotted Gibson in because:

A) I couldn't think of anyone else

B) Him with a striker to aim for in Lister would be far more effective than him aiming for Steven Craig.

He might be on a downward spiral, but he's still scoring plenty at this level. By all accounts Thomson is a big unit, good in the air and powerful, so you'd want him alongside a nippy, wee guy to do the harrying and the scoring. Beany would suit that role perfectly.

Ross Forbes could maybe get into that XI.

Ross Forbes could maybe get into that XI.

Good shout, he actually played for us twice, only once on loan, but never permanently.

Everyone does remember that cameo as a Trialist at Firhill in a 3-0 defeat to Thistle...don't they?