Sons' sorrow

I notice that Dundee v Celtic match next season will be held in Philadelphia. Naturally I expect Dumbarton v Morton game will be held in the Seychelles. On way to travel agents just now to buy plane ticket.

I've heard that Annan will play a home league match against Elgin in Tehran in November.

I think I may be one of few, but at Christmas, I wasn't yet convinced by Buchanan. I agree he finished the season as our strongest defender (strongest player outwith Nade). I still stand by that our best defensive period last year was actually the time we had Barr and Wright paired in the CB position's too.

Buchanan wasn't unfortunate to be dropped as he had some pretty awful performances in the first few months of the season. But he seemed to improve most out of all of our players and I'd be delighted to see him at the rock again next season.

Would also like to see Barr signed up too, think he got quite a hard time of it from a lot of sons fans, but was still a pretty important player for us.

I think I may be one of few, but at Christmas, I wasn't yet convinced by Buchanan. I agree he finished the season as our strongest defender (strongest player outwith Nade). I still stand by that our best defensive period last year was actually the time we had Barr and Wright paired in the CB position's too.

Buchanan wasn't unfortunate to be dropped as he had some pretty awful performances in the first few months of the season. But he seemed to improve most out of all of our players and I'd be delighted to see him at the rock again next season.

Would also like to see Barr signed up too, think he got quite a hard time of it from a lot of sons fans, but was still a pretty important player for us.

I agree he wasn't great at the start but after being dropped he was excellent.

I didn't like Barr and was dead against him playing in midfield, but he won me over big time, with routledge away I wouldn't mind him playing as a sitting midfielder as long as those around him provide more attacking play.

I agree he wasn't great at the start but after being dropped he was excellent.

I didn't like Barr and was dead against him playing in midfield, but he won me over big time, with routledge away I wouldn't mind him playing as a sitting midfielder as long as those around him provide more attacking play.

Agree about Barr, he had some pretty dreadful games. But then, all the players did. I reckon him as a CB/CM is a pretty decent option to have. But please don't play him and another CDM in the same role as it just stifled our attack completely.

Agree about Barr, he had some pretty dreadful games. But then, all the players did. I reckon him as a CB/CM is a pretty decent option to have. But please don't play him and another CDM in the same role as it just stifled our attack completely.

Aye, if we sign someone in the routledge mould I'd move Barr back to centre half.

Aye, if we sign someone in the routledge mould I'd move Barr back to centre half.

I'm hoping we can sign someone to play the attacking midfield role to be honest. But we also (assuming we are going to play him anywhere near his position) have Gall and Fleming as possible CDMs though.

I do reckon Fraz will play less this year so possibly Barr and Buchanan could be our 1st choice CB pairing.

Quite surprised Pettigrew has been added to the mix if Barr, Buchanan and possibly Saunders agree deals. I assumed we'd be losing one of Barr, Wright and Buchanan and shifting Saunders into CB.

I reckon if Saunders stays we could see him shift between RB and CB to allow Fraz to have a rest with Pettigrew covering at RB when required. I can't see Barr losing his position in the midfield with all those defenders (potentially) signing up.

I don't think we've signed Pettigrew to be a starter every week. I may well be wrong but I would say reviews of him are pretty mixed, seems like solid enough back up to me.

The thought of spending the season with Gallagher and Barr in central midfield isn't one that fills me with hope if I'm honest. Neither is the prospect of the Mantis spending another season at right-back. That would be an eye bleedingly bad combination.

We need an #baller for the middle of the park. Somebody who can actually pass a ball 25/30 yards and grab a few assists.

The thought of spending the season with Gallagher and Barr in central midfield isn't one that fills me with hope if I'm honest. Neither is the prospect of the Mantis spending another season at right-back. That would be an eye bleedingly bad combination.

We need an #baller for the middle of the park. Somebody who can actually pass a ball 25/30 yards and grab a few assists.

Totally agree, and I was never convinced by Barr in midfield to be honest.  Stevie has to get his ideal starting eleven established early on, and work towards achieving it.  We definitely need more in the way of football in midfield than Andy Stirling alone, and should Garry and Gaz feature in there whither the return of Jamie Lindsay ??

Too much ball chasing and not enough ball retention was a major fault last term.

If our away games are Peterhead and Forfar then it'll be 620 miles of travelling for 2 'regionalised' Cup games.

Hopefully the Dundee game will be at home on Tuesday/Wednesday which will presumably cancel the friendly, and get the away ties on a Saturday.

Spot on. Should be a focus on getting the balance right this time round. Although I'm encouraged by positivity surrounding buchy and Barr, I wouldn't want to see barr shoe horned into midfield again.