Krakow v Prague

Gaz FFC

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want a more realistic Prague pub experience take the Metro to Jiriho z Podebrad in Zizkov (Tram line no. 3 also runs through Zizkov.) and walk towards the TV tower. Pubs I've been in where you'll probably be able to get a half litre of beer for  about 25 CzK include  Hostinec U Vodoucha, U Sadu, Bukowski's, Akropolis, Malkovich,  U vystřelenýho oka (The Shot-Out Eye) and, if it's open, the Viktoria Zizkov FC social club. There's a tiny pub in that area called Pivo a Parek which translates as Beer and Sausage and that's all the sell. A half litre was less than 20CzK.

Correct, and I'd add U Slovanské Lipy further down the hill, which does an excellent rotating list of beers and good, Czech pub food.

It's actually easier to get into the area by tram from the main train station (one/two stops to Husinecká; Lipanská), or taking the Yellow Metro to Križíkova in the Karlin district: just follow the tunnel that runs underneath the hill between the two districts (and comes out conveniently enough in front of the above pub). The military history museum and monument on top of that hill are well worth visiting as well. 

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Correct, and I'd add U Slovanské Lipy further down the hill, which does an excellent rotating list of beers and good, Czech pub food.

It's actually easier to get into the area by tram from the main train station (one/two stops to Husinecká; Lipanská), or taking the Yellow Metro to Križíkova in the Karlin district: just follow the tunnel that runs underneath the hill between the two districts (and comes out conveniently enough in front of the above pub). The military history museum and monument on top of that hill are well worth visiting as well. 

That was a great pub, didn't we get a bus to Florenc Metro station?

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 22:18, vikingTON said:

Can't recall that detail tbh but Florenc station is about a ten minute walk around the corner as well.

Loraine said we definitely got a bus, then the Metro to that Belgian bar, however, she was as drunk as me :thumsup2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Going to Krakow in March anyone got any tips? Good pubs, best way to get to Auschwitz etc?

I'm just back from Krakow. Can't really advise on pubs, but there are two ways of getting to Auschwitz. 

One is to go on an official tour. This will include a tourbus from Krakow and a tour of Auschwitz ... prices vary but my girlfriend said it would cost around 30 euros. 

The other way to do it is to book the tour online (costs about 45 zloty = £9) and then get the train there from Krakow. The train is ridiculously cheap (about £3) but don't expect Wifi and a buffet car... the toilet was basically a hole in the floor. You're then looking at a mile walk to the camp. Be warned .. the tour takes a long time .. we got the 8am train from Krakow and didn't get home till 5.30pm. Personally, I love going on Communist-era trains so it was an easy decision (you need to buy a ticket in advance, it's not like the airport train where you can buy on board). 

Btw, if you want to save money, entrance to Auschwitz is gratis, but I'd recommend the tour .. not that pricy and they're very knowledgeable. 

Heading back to Prague for 4 days in February, but spending one of the days in Plzen. Are there any attractions other than the Pilsner Urquell brewery, Viktoria Plzen football stadium and the area around Namesti Republicky that are a must for a day trip?

There's a grand synagogue on the far side of the city centre (ie ten minutes from the main square), similar to the one in Budapest, although the inside is fairly plain so I wouldn't plan more than a short detour. In addition to the brewery tour there's also a self-guided Plzeň brewery museum just off the main square, with different exhibits like the old adverts, ceramic mugs etc. - the museum ends in the courtyard of Na Parkanu, the Pilsner Urquell pub next door, where you get a free beer with your museum ticket IIRC.

3 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I'm just back from Krakow. Can't really advise on pubs, but there are two ways of getting to Auschwitz. 

One is to go on an official tour. This will include a tourbus from Krakow and a tour of Auschwitz ... prices vary but my girlfriend said it would cost around 30 euros. 

The other way to do it is to book the tour online (costs about 45 zloty = £9) and then get the train there from Krakow. The train is ridiculously cheap (about £3) but don't expect Wifi and a buffet car... the toilet was basically a hole in the floor. You're then looking at a mile walk to the camp. Be warned .. the tour takes a long time .. we got the 8am train from Krakow and didn't get home till 5.30pm. Personally, I love going on Communist-era trains so it was an easy decision (you need to buy a ticket in advance, it's not like the airport train where you can buy on board). 

Btw, if you want to save money, entrance to Auschwitz is gratis, but I'd recommend the tour .. not that pricy and they're very knowledgeable. 

Did you go to the salt mine? I went on a tour and the guide was very good but stayed well away from WW2 territory, it was all about the Russians. When she asked if there were any more questions I asked what happened during the war and she went slightly red cheeked and explained that mainly Jews were in it building parts for Messerschmitt.

41 minutes ago, virginton said:

There's a grand synagogue on the far side of the city centre (ie ten minutes from the main square), similar to the one in Budapest, although the inside is fairly plain so I wouldn't plan more than a short detour. In addition to the brewery tour there's also a self-guided Plzeň brewery museum just off the main square, with different exhibits like the old adverts, ceramic mugs etc. - the museum ends in the courtyard of Na Parkanu, the Pilsner Urquell pub next door, where you get a free beer with your museum ticket IIRC.

Thanks, will look into that.

53 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Did you go to the salt mine? I went on a tour and the guide was very good but stayed well away from WW2 territory, it was all about the Russians. When she asked if there were any more questions I asked what happened during the war and she went slightly red cheeked and explained that mainly Jews were in it building parts for Messerschmitt.

Didn't have time in the end. Auschwitz took the whole day and we were only there for a couple of days. 

Bit gutted tbh, since I went to a salt mine near Cluj in Romania and it was fantastic. 

21 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Going to Krakow in March anyone got any tips? Good pubs, best way to get to Auschwitz etc?

i got transport and tour(which was very good) of auschwitz  for less than £20,cant mind company but they were based at sienna,in the eastern part of the centre,just by the westerplatte.

found centre a bit touristy/staggy,preferred kazimierz.

What company did you book it through to cost 9 pounds?

Archived