administration dead pool

pedromcg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one shop I would see disapointed to see go one day would be M&S, because they do actually sell some decent quality stuff.

M&S will be absolutely fine, they're making a killing through their online sales.

M&S, John Lewis and Next are the three retailers I would view as being definitely safe. In fact, River Island always seems rammed too.

Yep, I'm sure John Lewis turned over about £3 billion last year.

Updated list - will close on Sunday

B&M - GordieBoy80

Barrhead Travel - Zen Archer

Burtons - Savage Henry, doulikefish

Carphone Warehouse - DHD

Clarks - GTG

Dreams - Sloop John B

Early Learning Centre - Sodje, fotbawmad, Rowan

Gadget Shop - Ron Aldo

Game - Yer sisters yer maw

Global Video - Erin Go Bragh

Halfords - scary bear, midtable

Holland and Barrett - p&b is a disgrace

Hollywood Bowl - Todd is god

Homebase - DA Baracus

House of Fraser - Senior Coconut

Maplin - Milevskiey

Marks and Spencer - Broccoli Dog

Mothercare - The OP

Mountain Warehouse - Mushroom

RS McCalls - Bert Racoon

Superdry - Enrico Annoni

Thomas Cook - 53 and counting

Waterstones - mizfit, Coooombe, Standfree03, craigkillie

Watt Brothers - Bold Rover

WH Smith - Sheriff John Bunnell, gavffc, philpy

As I said, clothing shops will always do alright, especially women's. River Island are good at keeping up with trends and I don't think they have much danger of getting into trouble.

The fact that buying clothes without trying it on first can be a bit of a nightmare definitely helps. JJB obviously suffered from the fact that trackies always have elasticated waistbands. :P

Some of the suggestions on here are bonkers. M&S, Sports Direct, House of Fraser :1eye

I'll go with Waterstones.

Edit: Mothercare own Early Learning Centre so you could them both going down at the same time.

I actually thought Sports Direct were in admin because of the sale they were having before Christmas. I'm sure the signs said 'Closing Down Sale' but that might've just been the Sauchiehall St branch.

Clothing shops are safe, at least for now. Most people don't trust buying clothes online because of discrepancies in sizing between different shops. With the likes of CDs and DVDs, you know you're buying identical products wherever you get it from.

I looked up WH Smith and they made millions of pounds of profit last year, so it seems that they're safe. Although I wonder how much of that is down to train station / airport sales. I wonder if we'll see, over the next few years, the withdrawal of WH Smith from the high street as they focus on their smaller shops. I'm basing this on the fact that I cannot see for the life of me how the Falkirk store can be profitable.

The fact that buying clothes without trying it on first can be a bit of a nightmare definitely helps. JJB obviously suffered from the fact that trackies always have elasticated waistbands. :P

I actually thought Sports Direct were in admin because of the sale they were having before Christmas. I'm sure the signs said 'Closing Down Sale' but that might've just been the Sauchiehall St branch.

They bought the JJB stock in bulk and that was the'Closing down sale'

It was marked as LIQUIDATION SALE in the Falkirk store. They actually had a sign up on the window saying that they weren't in liquidation but the LIQUIDATION SALE referred to the liquidated stock they'd bought from JJB.

It was marked as LIQUIDATION SALE in the Falkirk store. They actually had a sign up on the window saying that they weren't in liquidation but the LIQUIDATION SALE referred to the liquidated stock they'd bought from JJB.

Had the same signs, and indeed still do, in the window of the Dunfermline store.

Yeah, there was also chat that they were closing that shop and moving in to the old JJB further up.

Having worked in these kind of establishments, I seem to recall it's perfectly legal to put whatever you want on these signs. I can't exactly remember why, but we used to be closing down for about a year.

As I said, clothing shops will always do alright, especially women's. River Island are good at keeping up with trends and I don't think they have much danger of getting into trouble.

Online is catching up fast in that sector. In a few years time it will be common to have a model which simulates all your measurements and shows you how specific clothing will look and feel.

Online is catching up fast in that sector. In a few years time it will be common to have a model which simulates all your measurements and shows you how specific clothing will look and feel.

For you young trendy things that may seem a good idea. For old codgers like me it will simply confirm that nothing we wear makes us look any better.

On the bright side I may be dead before this technology is available.

Archived