General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

No 2 Audi back in the lead. Pleasing.

The number 1 Audi is almost certainly out of it. Four laps down and still in the pits. The number 3 Audi is still going after a minor problem and the Toyotas are still hanging on.

Number 2 Audi almost a lap up the road but there's still a long, long way to go. Not even at third distance. Could just as easily hit the same trouble the other Audi has.

Edited by Stu

The Radio LeMans team apparently saw footage from the car behind and apparently it looks like something may have broke and sent him off. It looked a heavy impact and seemed to be diver side.

Seen on Twitter that the family have requested that Aston continue racing, hope they go onto win the class now.

Yeah it certainly looked like a failure. I doubt a driver of his experience would have made a mistake to see the car react like that.

I read earlier on that it was a rear suspension failure, although that was during the safety car period when they were fixing the barrier and all we knew was that Simonsen was conscious.

What can you say about an accident like that, it's so sad.

Was a wreck for the last hour - especially when the Toyota was let through, there was talk of rain and they weren't sure if there'd be enough fuel to get the Audi home. unnecessary worrying thankfully.

Great stuff from McNish, Kristensen and Duval. The number one car looked way too fast for them but for once McNish got some luck at Le Mans with it breaking down and the safety car helping when he had the wrong tyres.

Awesome stuff.

Only just catching up on events after spending a weekend out in the sticks - extremely sad news. Glad to see Audi #2 win of course, but Kristensen's post-race reactions showed a man who was clearly in a great amount of personal anguish.

What can you say other than danger is part of the sport, and in a worse-case scenario the worst can happen. RIP.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bit closer to home, but a young man has sadly succumbed to his injuries sustained in a crash at Knockhill on Sunday.

Matt Polanski raced in the KMSC championship on a pre-injection R6, in the same class as a guy that myself and my dad regularly go to watch, whom he'd had many good battles at the sharp end with.

These guys are all too aware of the dangers of the sport they love, but still very sad to see, especially when he leaves behind a wife and daughter.

RIP Matt #80

7669653586_cd40712aab_z.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone see Will Power intentionally wipe out Scott Dixon at the weekend? Dixon got fined $30,000 for criticising it

Yeah, been a crazy few weeks in America when it comes to the Indy Cars and NASCAR

First of all the, Baltimore saw Dixon and Power come together. Power claiming that he got loose while in 4th gear. Yeah, sure....and I'm driving for Ferrari next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqq7XGjUsTw

Dixon's fine was actually for his comments which followed, saying that the race director needs to be fired (he used a bit more 'industrial' language) for not allowing the car to be towed back to the garage to allow his mechanics an attempt to fix, what he said, was minor damage. This was a week after Dixon got a penalty for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcK9wbq8lck

I thought there was no clear blame in that, but Indycar seems to want a Penske/Castroneves championship win the way they have been calling things lately.