Heart of Midlothian vs St Mirren

SEETHING

Initially 11,500 with a further 6,000 available should we sell out.

I'd have Hearts as favourites for this. There is still a decent team there, they haven't had the firesale everyone anticipated. All over the pitch they have experienced SPL players. They are above us in the league for a reason. Hearts are clear favourites.

What???? Last week we had 9 out of the 10 outfield players U-21, hardly experiended SPL players all over the park???

Mullen - a handul of SPL games

Webster - give you that one

McGowan - 5 SPL games?

WIlson - 4 SPL games

Holt - 7 SPL

Walker 9 SPL

Tapping - 3 SPL

Robinson - arounbd 30 SPL games over 4 seasons

King - 3 SPL

Ngoo - 4 SPL

I'm not talking about the team for 1 game this season. I'm talking about the squad as a whole. Sutton, Stevenson, Zaliukas, Taouil, Macdonald etc. Wilson has far more than 4 appearances in the SPL. That won't be the team for the final.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not talking about the team for 1 game this season. I'm talking about the squad as a whole. Sutton, Stevenson, Zaliukas, Taouil, Macdonald etc. Wilson has far more than 4 appearances in the SPL. That won't be the team for the final.

I'll give you WIlson as I had forgotten he played for the ****, no idea how many he played though. As for the rest, MacDonald doesn't play outfield, Sutton, Zaliukas and Taouil won't be in the starting line up for the final. The only one you mention with a chance is Stevenson, but I don't really want him playing. My team for the final, barring anymore injuries is

MacDonald

Mullen Webster McGowan Wilson

Barr

Walker Holt Tapping King

Ngoo

So, 8 U-21s in the starting line-up so I repeat we have got nothing like eperienced players throughout the team

By the time the cup final comes around Hearts will have a maximum of six experienced players availabe - these would be McDonald, Barr, Webster, Stevenson, Sutton, and Taouill.

There's an outside chance that Jamie Hamill could be fit by then, but nobody should be holding their breath for that.

It's also possible that we could pick up further injuries or suspensions by then, but hopefully not.

So, that's a maximum of six experienced players available, not all of whom merit a start on their form.

When you put it like that, there's no way we should be favourites - we probably will be, though.

Many Hearts fans are hoping that McGlynn is away before the final, but that's probably unlikely.

In truth, Hearts and St Mirren are probably fairly evenly matched sides - just how neutrals would want a final to be - the extra street nous of players like Goodwin, Thompson, Paul McGowan, and Teale, allied to the quality of the likes of McLean and Goncalves could give St Mirren the edge.

A lot can and could happen between now and then, of course. :ph34r:

I don't know why folk are making out (or forgetting) that Danny Wilson isn't experienced purely because he's only 21. He won every major Scottish trophy at Rangers and made a number of appearances for Liverpool. Also, Scott Robinson (who will be 21 come the final) and Arvydas Novikovas (22) have plenty of experience from the past few seasons as well as those mentioned above.

By the time the cup final comes around Hearts will have a maximum of six experienced players availabe - these would be McDonald, Barr, Webster, Stevenson, Sutton, and Taouill.

There's an outside chance that Jamie Hamill could be fit by then, but nobody should be holding their breath for that.

It's also possible that we could pick up further injuries or suspensions by then, but hopefully not.

So, that's a maximum of six experienced players available, not all of whom merit a start on their form.

When you put it like that, there's no way we should be favourites - we probably will be, though.

Many Hearts fans are hoping that McGlynn is away before the final, but that's probably unlikely.

In truth, Hearts and St Mirren are probably fairly evenly matched sides - just how neutrals would want a final to be - the extra street nous of players like Goodwin, Thompson, Paul McGowan, and Teale, allied to the quality of the likes of McLean and Goncalves could give St Mirren the edge.

A lot can and could happen between now and then, of course. :ph34r:

Danny Wilson? He has played in more league cup finals than anyone from the two clubs outside Mair and Carey. Hearts will be and are the favourites for the following reasons:

1) Even now, with all the cut backs at Hearts, their wage budget remains significantly higher than St Mirren. I believe there are several players earning in excess of 5k a week at the club, Sutton being one. Our highest paid player is on around half that.

2) Hearts are currently above St Mirren in the league and have been for the whole season.

3) Several of the Hearts squad have experienced winning a major trophy. The last - and only - St Mirren player to win a major trophy was Steven Thompson, that was in 2005.

4) Hearts will have significantly more supporters inside Hampden than St Mirren.

As we all know however, the favourites don't always win. This final reminds me in many ways of the Livingston v Hibs final in 2004. A provincial club going to Hampden to face a much fancied Edinburgh side. How did that finish again?

Danny Wilson? He has played in more league cup finals than anyone from the two clubs outside Mair and Carey. Hearts will be and are the favourites for the following reasons:

1) Even now, with all the cut backs at Hearts, their wage budget remains significantly higher than St Mirren. I believe there are several players earning in excess of 5k a week at the club, Sutton being one. Our highest paid player is on around half that.

2) Hearts are currently above St Mirren in the league and have been for the whole season.

3) Several of the Hearts squad have experienced winning a major trophy. The last - and only - St Mirren player to win a major trophy was Steven Thompson, that was in 2005.

4) Hearts will have significantly more supporters inside Hampden than St Mirren.

As we all know however, the favourites don't always win. This final reminds me in many ways of the Livingston v Hibs final in 2004. A provincial club going to Hampden to face a much fancied Edinburgh side. How did that finish again?

However else you want to describe him, Danny Wilson is not an experienced player.

In terms of players available, only Barr, Webster, Sutton and Taouill are on big money, and few of those are worth it. Webster nearly always is, Barr mostly is, and Sutton and Taouill usually aren't.

Hearts may be above St Mirren just now, but that could change, and it's probably tighter than you suggest.

Of the players available, we have a few cup-winners - I'll give you that - but a few of them were subs or unused subs.

You're also right to say that Hearts should have a bigger support - St Mirren will be well represented that day, though.

As I said, though, they're two well-matched sides - it's not really going to matter who are favourites - it'll be down to who plays best, and gets the breaks on the day - if that means St Mirren, then fair enough - we'll just have to take our medicine.

See you there on the 17th - all the best to everybody involved.

A lot of football to be played before then, though.

However else you want to describe him, Danny Wilson is not an experienced player.

Sorry mate, but that's laughable. :lol:

Just because he's still pretty young doesn't mean he is inexperienced. He has played in (and won) cup semi-finals and finals, Old Firm derbies and has represented Liverpool's first team.

Like I said previously as well - Robinson and Novikovas are also fairly experienced now.

Sorry mate, but that's laughable. :lol:

Just because he's still pretty young doesn't mean he is inexperienced. He has played in (and won) cup semi-finals and finals, Old Firm derbies and has represented Liverpool's first team.

Like I said previously as well - Robinson and Novikovas are also fairly experienced now.

How many top team games has Wilson played? Less than 50 - and you're saying he's experienced? At 21?

Robinson's played about the same number of top team games, and is still 20!

Novikovas I would swither about - maybe - but he's still only 22 - hardly what you'd call experienced!

f**k me! :lol:

How many top team games has Wilson played? Less than 50 - and you're saying he's experienced? At 21?

Robinson's played about the same number of top team games, and is still 20!

Novikovas I would swither about - maybe - but he's still only 22 - hardly what you'd call experienced!

f**k me! :lol:

I certainly wouldn't call that inexperience.

You're above us in the league and have a significantly higher wage budget. Hearts are clear favourites for this game.

Wage budgets mean nothing right now at Hearts mate, not when we have an absolute p***k in charge of the team who doesn't know his arse from his elbow, and as for being above you in the league, I'd say we're about level, but come the cup final you'll definitely be above us, of that I have no doubt!

Lump on St Mirren!

Whilst both teams are struggling for a bit of form at the moment, on the day I think they'll both be well up for it which will make for an intense, exciting game. Hearts' young players could play with a nothing-to-lose bravado and St. Mirren's experienced players could be thinking it's their last chance for silverware in their career* - Thomson, Teale, Goodwin, etc. should play like men possessed.

* of course it won't be, given "St. Mirren" will also be engraved on the Scottish Cup this season. :thumsup2

By a weird quirk Hearts could be without any of their Scottish Cup Final scorers for this one. Skacel and McGowan have buggered off, Grainger is injured and Wilson tried his best to ensure Barr misses out as well.

Not that I'm looking for omens - after all, Hearts do have the last player to score a cup final winner for us in their squad as well as someone who secured his team's victory three years ago by getting himself red carded.

Just to follow up on this while I get a head start on the previews I need to write for this. I reckon you only have three players who started that game who'll be available for this one - MacDonald, Barr and Webster. The rest have either buggered off or are injured. Pretty remarkable turnaround in players, although not surprising considering the financial issues - and it's Hearts.

By comparison we have the same number of players left who started our League Cup Final three years ago available - Mair, Barron and Carey.

This thread is beginning to remind me of when me and my Hearts supporting friend watch games between our two sides - we spend the match trying to do our own teams down rather than slag the opposition.

Archived