NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

I like how everyone is just completely ignoring the fact it was Damar Hamlin who cost Buffalo a shot at overtime last night. Guy is likely going to go the entire season without recording a single stat, and they'll still chuck Comeback Player at him. It's fantastic that he's healthy and all that, but I can't help feel this is just a big virtue-signalling circus and isn't about Hamlin himself at all.

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I like how everyone is just completely ignoring the fact it was Damar Hamlin who cost Buffalo a shot at overtime last night. Guy is likely going to go the entire season without recording a single stat, and they'll still chuck Comeback Player at him. It's fantastic that he's healthy and all that, but I can't help feel this is just a big virtue-signalling circus and isn't about Hamlin himself at all.

37 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Gonna go back on my Twitter feed now and see who was telling fibs 😛

Still though, I think it will be pretty daft if they award Comeback to a player who doesn't actually play. That's clearly not the intent of the award.

Hamlin was on the field for quite a few snaps late in the game last night, it might be that he gets more game time as the season goes on, especially as injuries kick in.

Whoever was to blame it was absolute amateur hour stuff, especially as the Broncos did exactly the same thing at the end of the first half. So many questions to be answered by the Bills DC. It was obvious that Wilson was just going to take a knee on 3rd down, so why not have your 11 field goal defenders on the field already and avoid the need for subs? 7 players then ran off after the 3rd down and 8 came on, so either one came on that shouldn't have or someone stayed on that was meant to leg it off the field.

Fcuking glorious…. Broncos perform the perfect ‘Peanut Tillman’ punch out of Cook’s hands, but the ball bounces straight up and back into his hands? Josh Allen runs it in at the pylon and the extra point is good? Broncos have about 1.53 and two timeouts, on the road at a ‘Super Bowl contender’, and win as the clock hits zero, due to a P.I. call and twelve men on the field at a missed field goal? Oh my days… watched the game live here in Orlando last night, and had a wonderful day today wearing my Broncos T Shirt with (for once) zero shame. 😀

Kudos to Sean Peyton for having the Broncos drilled to allow the field goal team to charge on in jig time. Twice. Imagine the shitshow that would have been under Hackett’s stewardship?

If our offence was fully functional, we’d have won that by 24 points plus….. Still, what a (jammy) way to win. Beautiful. 😎

Kinda hoping the Chargers will kick the tyres on Rochell because the utterly useless Chris Rumph has just been ruled out for the season, they have an opening at DE, and Rochell was a wee bit under-appreciated as a Charger the first time around. That's too much like common sense though.

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Top work by the Raiders, run a feature about a player in the morning, cut him in the afternoon. 🙈

Screenshot_20231115_083028_X.jpg

Jack Jones unexpectedly became available and they had to release someone to make room for him.

Unfortunate, but not really anyone's fault. Unless you argue that teams shouldn't run good news stories about fringe roster players, I guess.

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

Watson out for the season.  Tbf their Defence has been carrying him, not need a little extra for them

I think they'll fade badly. They'll be like a slightly diluted version of the Jets; not quite as dominant on D, and not quite as awful on O, but I think that's any chance they had of beating good teams and/or a playoff run gone.

Can't account for injuries, but that Watson trade and contract is looking more and more like a millstone and an error of judgement.

3 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think they'll fade badly. They'll be like a slightly diluted version of the Jets; not quite as dominant on D, and not quite as awful on O, but I think that's any chance they had of beating good teams and/or a playoff run gone.

Can't account for injuries, but that Watson trade and contract is looking more and more like a millstone and an error of judgement.

On the bright side for the Browns, they play the Bears in a few weeks. 

Guest DannyBlue
13 minutes ago, Swarley said:

I read that and assumed he'd been demoted from HC! 

I thought it was just a bit of wordplay about how offensive it is to viewers watching them. Either would have made more sense than reality.

Tepper is shaping up nicely to be another nutcase meddling owner.

5 hours ago, DannyBlue said:

Frank Reich is offensive play caller again at the Panthers.

Reich's NFL coaching career has always puzzled me. I didn't rate him at all as Chargers OC, he spent an entire season proving he had no idea how to use Keenan Allen, I certainly didn't see anything in him that I thought merited HC consideration. I thought he was underwhelming across his time in Indi, and he walks into the job in Carolina with the #1 overall QB and promptly goes 1-8 with that #1 player looking lost.

I think in a lot of ways the NFL is every bit as much as 'face fits', and 'who you know, not what' as the Scottish football management merry-go-round. Reich is apparently a decent, stand-up guy, and a lot was made about his religious adherence when he was in SD, but I fail to see how any of that has any relevance to his coaching.

I think he's still making a living off the back of that SB win when Foles eviscerated a Pats D that didn't make a single play the entire night. He's kinda the offensive equivalent of Ron Rivera. One decent season as a co-ord, lands HC'ing gigs, and seemingly gets more leeway than most coaches because of personal circumstances.

Guest DannyBlue
1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Reich's NFL coaching career has always puzzled me. I didn't rate him at all as Chargers OC, he spent an entire season proving he had no idea how to use Keenan Allen, I certainly didn't see anything in him that I thought merited HC consideration. I thought he was underwhelming across his time in Indi, and he walks into the job in Carolina with the #1 overall QB and promptly goes 1-8 with that #1 player looking lost.

I think in a lot of ways the NFL is every bit as much as 'face fits', and 'who you know, not what' as the Scottish football management merry-go-round. Reich is apparently a decent, stand-up guy, and a lot was made about his religious adherence when he was in SD, but I fail to see how any of that has any relevance to his coaching.

I think he's still making a living off the back of that SB win when Foles eviscerated a Pats D that didn't make a single play the entire night. He's kinda the offensive equivalent of Ron Rivera. One decent season as a co-ord, lands HC'ing gigs, and seemingly gets more leeway than most coaches because of personal circumstances.

Completely agree.

I can't help but think a lot of the praise he got initially in Indy was in many ways veiled McDaniels bashing. People loved telling the story that Josh McDaniels turned them down but Indy got the best of it and the better coach but that's not saying much. 😆

I think Tepper is a bit like Jerry Jones post Jimmy Johnson, the number one quality a head coach can have is being a bit of a yes man.