NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

10 hours ago, Burnside91 said:

Just looking for a bit of help gents, going to give NFL a go this season. This Question may have been asked a number of times in this thread but i am just looking for any podcasts you may recommend for a fairly newbee to the sport.

As i am going to NYC later in the year i have picked the Jets as my team. 

There is a Scottish based one, Stramash too which I'd assume is marmite, but might be to your tastes.

53 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

I also just found out that you can no longer Onside Kick unless it's in the 4th quarter and the kicking team is losing.

It's just daft. I mean, why is an Onside Kick not a problem in the 4th Quarter, but somehow a concern at any other time?

I can't think of any other situation where the league mandates you can't call certain plays dependant on the game clock. Ok, you can only Free/Drop Kick in certain situations and so on, but that's mandated by the rule book, not the game situation.

Wouldn't put it past these idiots to ban running the ball in the 2nd half or something, because they seem utterly hell-bent on turning NFL football into a non-contact, 100% passing league with basketball scores.

Edited by Boo Khaki

5 hours ago, johnnydun said:

This ends next week for you chief.

I have a strong feeling Titans will be dark horses this year!

Bookmarked

1 hour ago, steelmen said:

Anyone listened to the new Heed the Call? How much of pain is Dan that he was the one they sacked? Nice mark left with him and they try to not bury gregg

I enjoyed it. Good to hear “gravedigger” as well

3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Vikings rookie Qb JJ McCarthy out for the season. 

That's tough for the Vikes. The irony is, a full year of Darnold will probably be enough to give them their pick of the QB's coming out next year instead of having to take the leftovers.

Watching the commanders and can't help but think about how pointless it seems. 

The following are not playing tonight 

And Jeff Driskel is at Qb, I'd argued he won't play a single snap at QB in the season. 

On 13/08/2024 at 03:05, johnnydun said:

This ends next week for you chief.

I have a strong feeling Titans will be dark horses this year!

Meh. Pre season games are meaningless, glorified friendlies, etc, etc... 

Vikings 2024 1st round draft pick QB J.J. McCarthy out for the season due to requiring surgery on a torn meniscus & in process becomes the first ever 1st round QB to miss their rookie season. McCarthy was planned to backup Sam Darnold so the backup spot will most likely go to Nick Mullens with Jaren Hall & Matt Corral also on the roster.

Edited by GNU_Linux

10 hours ago, peasy23 said:

49ers gave all 4 QBs a quarter each against New Orleans, that was enough time for Josh Dobbs to attempt 21 passes.

I can't help but like Josh Dobbs. I wouldn't have minded if the Titans kept him as a backup QB.

On 12/08/2024 at 11:27, Burnside91 said:

Just looking for a bit of help gents, going to give NFL a go this season. This Question may have been asked a number of times in this thread but i am just looking for any podcasts you may recommend for a fairly newbee to the sport.

As i am going to NYC later in the year i have picked the Jets as my team. 

I’ve been watching NFL & College football when bored for about 3 seasons now due to getting all the US channels on IPTV. 

I’m absolutely a fair weather fan, i have an understanding of some rules but only have enough knowledge to chat to someone on it for about 60 seconds so I am looking to learn more on it.

I’ve downloaded a podcast to listen to this week at work ‘NFL DAILY WITH GREGG ROSENTHAL’

Best way to advance your understanding of NFL football is just to watch games. There are loads of complete games on Youtube, usually condensed down to just the pre-snap and actual play, so you can get through them in about 1.5-2hrs. Obviously they aren't necessarily going to be bang up to date rules-wise, but for the purpose of furthering your understanding of the "why's" of NFL and grasping a bit more of the nuanced stuff, there is absolutely nothing as good as just sitting watching games.

It's why I hate Redzone and consider it NFL for people who don't like American Football. Most of the interesting stuff takes place on routine plays between the 30 yard lines and you miss it if you only ever see the plays in the RZ.

Edited by Boo Khaki

3 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Best way to advance your understanding of NFL football is just to watch games. There are loads of complete games on Youtube, usually condensed down to just the pre-snap and actual play, so you can get through them in about 1.5-2hrs. Obviously they aren't necessarily going to be bang up to date rules-wise, but for the purpose of furthering your understanding of the "why's" of NFL and grasping a bit more of the nuanced stuff, there is absolutely nothing as good as just sitting watching games.

It's why I hate Redzone and consider it NFL for people who don't like American Football. Most of the interesting stuff takes place on routine plays between the 30 yard lines and you miss it if you only ever see the plays in the RZ.

I don't mind sticking Redzone on if its the early slot games and the Browns are playing in the late window or vice versa

Redzone is great but possibly not ideal for beginners, as you say. There is a Thursday night (Friday morning UK time) opener to watch live/record and watch later before the first Redzone Sunday, anyway, so start with that.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa