NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Joey Porter was arrested following a confrontation with a police officer at a Pittsburgh bar. Haha. Never change J Peezey. #SteelerLegend. Gonna have to break out my old 55 jersey for the game next week in solidarity.

OBJ was reportedly banging his head against a locker and punched a hole in the wall in a hallway. Dude has a screw loose.

The Chargers are officially moving to LA. f**k Dean Spanos. Doesn't get much scummier for one of the richest men in the world to screw over millions of people to make just a bit more. The city of San Diego does bear some responsibility because that stadium does suck and a new one was in order. I'm not sure how willing Mr. Spanos was to work in good faith with the city, or if he was always dead set on moving like Stan Kroenke.

The Mr. Spanos wiki page has been changed: "The Los Angeles Chargers are ranked as the 9th most popular sports franchise in Los Angeles, shortly after the Los Angeles Sparkes."

A move was always likely to happen after the new stadium proposal was rejected earlier this season but I don't feel that this is a good move. The timing makes sense as waiting any longer just allows the Rams to establish themselves as LA's NFL team. 

Unsure about the 30,000 capacity stadium for the first few years but probably better than a half-empty Coliseum.

That logo is horrendous.

1 hour ago, cal234ey said:

A move was always likely to happen after the new stadium proposal was rejected earlier this season but I don't feel that this is a good move. The timing makes sense as waiting any longer just allows the Rams to establish themselves as LA's NFL team. 

Unsure about the 30,000 capacity stadium for the first few years but probably better than a half-empty Coliseum.

That logo is horrendous.

They'll be getting mediocre MLS attendance with that team, not to mention they'll probably be the 12th overall most popular sports team in LA, also managing to piss off the San Diego fanbase even more than they already have by having a ripoff logo of the San Diego Padres main rival, the LA Dodgers and they won't even be owning a stadium by the end of this. The entire thing seems bewildering to me.

ZEdUGeT.jpg

Feel sorry for any genuine Chargers fans. The team was already one of the more poorly supported in the league, and now the Spanos family are driving even more of them away. What a clusterfuck.

I wonder if they'll play the home game against the Raiders in the Coliseum.

This shit part of it is that the NFL is a cartel that basically guarantees a massive profit for every team with their salary and revenue rules. This isn't about ensuring the financial viability of the franchise or needing extra revenue to keep up with other teams on the field. This is the pure greed of a billionaire who wants to be just a bit richer and doesn't care about how important a football team can be in the lives of people. Supposedly the NFL was ready to offer him a financial aid package to stay in San Diego as they are worried about whether LA will support a 2nd team not named the Raiders. This isn't Stan Kroenke level scummy, but no scummy sports owner move will ever match him.

Everyone is of course noting that they will be the 5th most popular football team in town, behind the Rams, Raiders, USC, and UCLA. I'd actually bet that the bigger bandwagon teams like the Cowboys and Steelers might have more fans as well.

I had a guy working on my car today who's from San Diego. He was devastated. I asked him what he was going to do with his rooting interest. He said he couldn't even think about whether he was going to stick with the franchise right now. Said he was more of a San Diego sports fan than a Chargers fan. He did say that he hoped San Diego State would use this opportunity to be the city's team and improve the program so he could follow college football more.

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

Couple of years in LA before relocating to London imho.

If I had to wager, I'd put money on them flopping in LA and a new owner taking them back to San Diego within a decade.

This is from a year ago when it looked like the Chargers would move, but here are fan letters published by Deadspin.

http://deadspin.com/a-special-message-from-rams-and-chargers-fans-1752701018

My favorite. I think it's the saddest thing I've ever read. :lol:

My parents have had Chargers season tickets for over 40 years. With the exception of my 4 years away at college and 3 at law school (during which my seat sat empty), I went to damn near every game at the Murph for the last 30+ years. Sitting in my seat after the last game had ended, I was flooded with memories. I was sitting right here when Nate Kaeding missed 3 field goals in that playoff game we lost by 3 to the Jets. I was sitting right here when Marlon McCree came up with a 4th down interception to seal that playoff game against the Patriots, then tried to return it instead of taking a knee, and fumbled, setting up an easy game-winning field-goal. You get the idea. I wasn’t remembering any of the incredible things LT did, or any of the records Gates set, or any of the monster hits by Rodney Harrison, or any of the 50-yard Humphries-to-Martin bombs, or the roar of the crowd when Junior Seau would run out of the tunnel. Because all of that meant nothing. We never won anything. You need that moment of triumph to help you cope with all that disappointment, and we never had it. My life as a Chargers fan has been one of intense frustration. And now they’re gone.

I can deal with it. Sure it sucks, but whatever, we’ll get the Jaguars or some shit in a few years, and it’ll be fine. Who I feel bad for is my dad. He’s 77 years old, and he’s had season tickets since 1974. He never misses a game. He’s a hopeless optimist. Every year of my life has been the year. Our year. Finally. ‘But dad, we were 1-15 last year’. ‘You don’t know shit, son, this LT kid is somethin’ else. He’s gonna do it. This is our year.’ And if the football gods were merciful, I would sit and watch over the course of a season as the hope slowly faded. If the gods were cruel, I would watch as an interception or shanked field-goal crushed the light out of his eyes as we choked away another playoff game. These are things that every fan goes through, but unlike most fans, we never had that moment of vindication to make it all worth it. That’s the legacy of Spanos. He’s the guy who let his shitty kids run around the front office like a goddamned Arby’s playhouse while ridiculously talented teams withered and died under shitty management and yes-man coaching. f**k you, Spanos. There’s a man right now in San Diego, a man who’s funneled dozens and dozens of thousands of dollars into your shitty organization, who’s defended and supported you at every turn, who never believed you could be so cold as to turn your back on the people he screams with every other Sunday. You’ve never given this man anything but misery, but that wasn’t enough. You had to take his hope from him too.

Edited by Deplorable

15 hours ago, Deplorable said:

Everyone is of course noting that they will be the 5th most popular football team in town, behind the Rams, Raiders, USC, and UCLA. I'd actually bet that the bigger bandwagon teams like the Cowboys and Steelers might have more fans as well.

In terms of Sports popularity it probably goes

Lakers

Dodgers

USC

UCLA

Rams

Kings

Clippers

Raiders

Angels

Galaxy

LAFC