Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I see I got a red from the poster Tedi for saying that I thought the Rangers fans in a video clip a few pages back were embarrassing.

That is fair enough, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I think they are embarrassing because they are inarticulate, brainwashed/braindead and obviously intellectually challenged.

Could Tedi please come on and argue as to what makes my opinion wrong.

If he convinces me I will give him all my greenies for a whole week!!

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no economist, but how is a shipyard that mainly builds military vehicles for the Government, paid for by the taxpayer, being competitive and prosperous in the free market?

Sounds like a fool proof plan. How many vessels is the Scottish Government going to build to sustain all of these jobs?

I'm no economist, but how is a shipyard that mainly builds military vehicles for the Government, paid for by the taxpayer, being competitive and prosperous in the free market?

It isn't.

Correct, and the folly of claiming that those 4,000 jobs need a No vote to be safe, as BT has repeatedly told us, is laid bare. So long as those yards depend solely on military contracts from the Royal Navy, then there is nothing in their future except further workforce reductions. The RN bought 6 T45s to replace 12 (out of 16 originally built) T42s, they want to build 13 T26s to replace 13 (out of 16 originally built) T23s, the 12 T22s were allowed to retire without replacement. 3 Invincible class aircraft carriers have been replaced with 2 QE super carriers, the helicopter carrier, HMS Ocean, looks sure to go without replacement.

Add to that, the vessel operational life is much higher than it used to be: THe QE carriers are expected to do 50 years of service, expect to get about 35 out of the T45s - more assuming there is no significant wear and tear on them (the cheaply built T42s were falling apart after 3 months in the South Atlantic).

The RN of 2020 will be a much smaller beast than ever envisaged by successive SDRs. Even keeping an industrial drumbeat going will mean smaller workforces with less ships to replace over a longer period. Unless there is a diversification away from miltiary contracts - something that will never happen while BAE own the yards - then the shipyards face inexonerable squeezing until they are gone altogether.

Looks like the Seperatists are DELIBERATELY pressuring the UK to protect thousands of Scottish jobs and the continuation of assets such as refineries and international airports. Scotland ('s economic depression) on pause.

Why is the UK so worried about losing Scotland if it is such an economic basket case?

The fun thing about reading stuff on Independence here, is you can hear a story, then have a guess at how it'll be described as a disaster for Salmond in the Quisling press.

Grangemouth faces closure: Potential disaster for SNP.

Grangemouth doesn't close: Still a disaster for SNP.

'Politics of the Clyde' prevents job losses in Scotland: Disaster for Scotland.

Mugs.

Look out for a rise in seethe levels towards Scotland in UK tabloid press by the way. Probably a good thing actually, I can't think of anything more likely to win votes than the Daily Mail focussing it's hatred on us more acutely.

Archived