Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm in early 30s. 5 years ago 90% of my pals would either be smoking most nights through the week and/or tanning pills or coke at the weekend.

Now about half the folk I know, the ones with the same shitey jobs they had back then still do that. Definitely the other half have cut right back bit would still have a toke every couple of months or coke on a big night out.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Anyone tuning into Absolute radio yesterday evening? There was a bloke on who's just released a book on the global drugs war. It was a very interesting interview. Was chatting about the case for Portugal, and was also taking about Rat Parks and shit.

I think that was him on the Trews getting interviewed by Brand, like you say, it was interesting.

I'm in early 30s. 5 years ago 90% of my pals would either be smoking most nights through the week and/or tanning pills or coke at the weekend.

Now about half the folk I know, the ones with the same shitey jobs they had back then still do that.

That must mean people are turning up for work half wasted from the night before. And we wonder why employers are increasingly favouring eastern Europeans.

Don't touch them normally tbh, hardly any mates do either, few guys do yer disappearing acts to the toilets together every so often but 90 percent of my mates are the same. Steer clear, drinks enough for me. Shite myself that I'd get a dodgy pill or whatever.

I have no problem with people that do however, each to their own, everyone enjoys different things.

Bloody Poles, coming over here, not taking our eccies, not smoking our crack, b*****ds.

It does make them more reliable if they are going to turn up every day not still half out of their head. Never seen a Pole puffing on a joint come to think of it. Most European immigrants are here because they want to get on in life, not hide from it via drug taking.

Mind you, I still think claims like "90 percent of my mates smoke weed all the time, take coke every weekend etc" are wildly exagerrated, or at least it's just focussed on one small area of society. Most people do just stick to a drink now and again.

It does make them more reliable if they are going to turn up every day not still half out of their head. Never seen a Pole puffing on a joint come to think of it. Most European immigrants are here because they want to get on in life, not hide from it via drug taking.

Mind you, I still think claims like "90 percent of my mates smoke weed all the time, take coke every weekend etc" are wildly exagerrated, or at least it's just focussed on one small area of society. Most people do just stick to a drink now and again.

Is+there+a+problem+officer+do+you+poses+

You live in a bubble.

I don't think I do. But you can't just look at the behaviour of 18-24 year olds and extrapolate it to fit the general population. Even among young people, I doubt if the overwhelming majority (or even the majority) are into regular drug use. There's a lot of young blokes play fitba and other sports for a start. No way are they out getting coked up, speeding or weeding or whatever terminology you want to use.

Illegal drugs are an underground activity. Let's keep them there. Besides, didn't they try and legalise hash in Brixton, only for heroin dealers to flood the area. A similar situation can be observed along the Dutch-German border.

I don't think I do. But you can't just look at the behaviour of 18-24 year olds and extrapolate it to fit the general population. Even among young people, I doubt if the overwhelming majority (or even the majority) are into regular drug use. There's a lot of young blokes play fitba and other sports for a start. No way are they out getting coked up, speeding or weeding or whatever terminology you want to use.

I wouldn't put a bit of amateur horticulture in the same bracket as class A drugs.

Completely depends what you mean by harmful in regards to that graph.

Part at the bottom says they took into account 16 different criteria of harm to the individual and wider society.

Edit to add that the Professor David Nutt who led this research used to be a drug advisor to the government and he was sacked for being against government policy (he objected to Cannabis being moved to a Class B drug when he felt there was no logical or scientific reason to do so, he put forward plenty of drug reform advice and was roundly ignored at almost every turn). He's done a lot of research into drugs and some his stuff is well worth reading.

Edited by The Moonster

• 3 weeks later...