Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd smoke dope more regularly if there was some kind of quality control involved. My favourite is a mildly hallucinogenic variety that gives you the giggles, but the stuff I've had in recent years has been anything from soap to whiteout with no warning as to which. Legalise and give consumer protection.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'd smoke dope more regularly if there was some kind of quality control involved. My favourite is a mildly hallucinogenic variety that gives you the giggles, but the stuff I've had in recent years has been anything from soap to whiteout with no warning as to which. Legalise and give consumer protection.

This is my issue.

With the current legal situation, while the police are turning a bit more of a blind eye to just regular punters with a bit of green, they're still cracking down on the grows and the quality of stuff here is a hit or a miss.  Over the last few years I've got Into it similar to how some people enjoy malt whisky, different smells, flavours, effects etc.

I personally only use it for relaxation after work, like some folk enjoy a beer after work. It helps me sleep, de stress but I can still fully function.

If used in the correct way, I've no doubt it can help folk, it's just the abuse of weed that gives folk the impression of your stereotypical "stoner".

16 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

BUMP.

never really got involved in this thread before but stumbled across it.  Anyone's viewpoint on this changed?  Obviously in the last 10 years 'Murica have passed bills and various states have varying degrees of tolerance on this now, I think its 21 states its legal for recreational now (?).

Malta having also fully legalized recreational use, Germany starting the process for legalizing possession of small amounts, this would push out Germanys cannabis black market and could increase annual tax revenues, create 27,000 new jobs, and generate cost savings of about $4.7 billion, (Reuters).

Spain having decriminalized it for personal use, growing and smoking in your own home while still illegal to sell or traffic it.

Are we still stuck in the dark days? seeing the world move on and accept this plant for what it is, while we still categorize it as a Class B drug alongside Ketamine and Speed.

Any tokers on here? former smokers who had to give it up? medicinal users?

discuss.

Thailand has also fully decriminalised weed.

Legalisation has been a slam dunk policy for decades, looks like it will happen in my lifetime (and for many if not all currently illegal drugs).

Great.

I have no doubt that cheap black market variants will continue to proliferate (and be illegal but likely decriminalised like counterfeit cigarettes).

16 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Are we still stuck in the dark days?

Yes, the current home secretary wants to reclassify it as a class A drug.

It needs to be legalised and sold with appropriate help in place for folk who need it i.e. the folk blazing it up in the way to work at 7am which really is pretty sad.

29 minutes ago, 101 said:

Yes, the current home secretary wants to reclassify it as a class A drug.

It needs to be legalised and sold with appropriate help in place for folk who need it i.e. the folk blazing it up in the way to work at 7am which really is pretty sad.

Is it any sadder than those who can't start their day without a large dose of caffiene? 

Whatever gets you thru the night it's alright, it's alright.

I still partake now and again but stopped smoking joints years ago - got a little vape which is brilliant, handy having a coffee shop at the top of my street.

Interestingly enough even though it's been decriminalised over here for ages very few of the younger generation actually smoke it.

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Is it any sadder than those who can't start their day without a large dose of caffiene? 

It's never been something I've done so excuse my ignorance but I always thought weed mellowed folk out? The point about caffeine is fair and it always amazes me folk can't seem to function without that either but at least the logic behind it in the morning is to wake folk up. I think if you need to be 'mellowed' out first thing in the morning then you have deeper underlying issues though. 

Schooner for a pint (or Penny Black when in Embra) followed by a joint on the walk to work fair took the edge off an eccy comedown and got me in the zone for a day washing pots all day in hotel kitchens, back in the day.

Wouldn’t work so well now, what with a 70 mile drive and doing sums for a living, but I wouldn’t dismiss the prospect out of hand.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's never been something I've done so excuse my ignorance but I always thought weed mellowed folk out? The point about caffeine is fair and it always amazes me folk can't seem to function without that either but at least the logic behind it in the morning is to wake folk up. I think if you need to be 'mellowed' out first thing in the morning then you have deeper underlying issues though. 

You can get some cracking "doing" weed. A wee rip and it's all go, hoovering done, washing on and put away sorting out the sock drawer.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I mean it's pretty sad and of course the only reason caffeine is so prevalent in our society is because it gets you going. 

I would probably be more worried about people who need to be stoned to function in the same way folk have a beer or something before heading to work than folk scooping coffee but agree in both cases there is probably something underlying that you are using drugs to mitigate against, in terms of caffeine it's probably most of the time poor quality or lack of sleep.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

I mean it's pretty sad and of course the only reason caffeine is so prevalent in our society is because it gets you going. 

I would probably be more worried about people who need to be stoned to function in the same way folk have a beer or something before heading to work than folk scooping coffee but agree in both cases there is probably something underlying that you are using drugs to mitigate against, in terms of caffeine it's probably most of the time poor quality or lack of sleep.

I usually have a coffee in the morning because it’s part of breakfast. As far as I know it’s not mitigating anything. If I miss my morning cup I function completely normally and don’t uncontrollably fall asleep or get the DTs or anything.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I usually have a coffee in the morning because it’s part of breakfast. As far as I know it’s not mitigating anything. If I miss my morning cup I function completely normally and don’t uncontrollably fall asleep or get the DTs or anything.

Which is entirely different to the the question about folk unable to function without mainlining caffeine.

I would imagine the cast majority of folk have a coffee because they like the taste, perhaps it's just in my head that folk getting stoned when they roll out of bed have a more serious issue than enjoying the spliff.

I would decriminalise it, especially for medical use, but I wouldn’t particularly want it to be legalised generally.

I suspect it’s being illegal and not having wide availability of it is probably the main thing stopping a lot of people using it in the same way that alcohol or smoking is used in the UK.  I don’t think we need things that make us even more unhealthy or can cause mental health issues, I’ve known a few people who smoked it and ended up in the habit of smoking it a lot, which impacted on their life in different ways. Most have given it up now, one is struggling to give it up though. 

That said it’s not like I think of it as being especially harmful or bad, it’s probably not as bad for you as alcohol, but then if the question came around again and you see the state of some people on alcohol - would you want to legalise that now? 

Edited by Jambomo

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Don’t think either is particularly sad, in terms of people enjoying a smoke vs enjoying a coffee (obviously the same for both if they can’t function without them). 

Difference between weed and caffeine is that one is dangerous to work under the influence of (in a lot of scenarios) and one isn’t, but that’s the same with other obvious substances like alcohol so easily dealt with in the workplace with policies.