The Universe

^^^not a patch on my Artificial Super-Intelligence thread.......

I read a book once about a dystopian future where the Earth was covered in flesh eating microscopic robots up to a height of 10,000 feet.  The small amount of humans left all lived on mountains.

You'd be their overlord, imo.

I read a book once about a dystopian future where the Earth was covered in flesh eating microscopic robots up to a height of 10,000 feet.  The small amount of humans left all lived on mountains.

You'd be their overlord, imo.

Give them a read mate. interesting but f**k all to do with the Universe mind you!

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-2.html

Tim Peake back on Earth today after 6 months in space.

Timeline (UK time)

06:51 Undocking command
06:52 Separation
06:55 Thruster firing
09:22 Large deorbit burn for four minutes
09:49 Module separation 86 miles above Earth
10:00 Parachute opens 6 miles above Earth
10:14 Retrorockets fire an instant before touchdown

• 2 weeks later...

I tweeted junodownload to see about getting some kind of offer in relation to the nasa mission, but they rubbered me. What kind of world can you not get a freebie this obvious?

I tweeted junodownload to see about getting some kind of offer in relation to the nasa mission, but they rubbered me. What kind of world can you not get a freebie this obvious?

A gas giant?

Farage wants us to leave the universe. Too much entropy.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming time travel was something humans were capable of, it would surely be useless. You could travel in time, but where you travel to would that point in the past. As the Earth and indeed the universe is always moving, you'd be travelling to somewhere unknown. Say you time traveled 100 years; you could end up in empty space as at that point in time the Earth would not be in the same place. To be able to travel back in time to a location, you'd need to able to be able to travel in spacetime. This would surely mean that you'd somehow have to plot at least the known galaxy, and calculate the relative speed of the movement of spacetime, and assume that it is constant.

Of course it could be the case that time and space can be plotted in a linear fashion along a line and all you have to figure out is how to travel back and forth along that line. If the energy of the universe is at a constant, i.e. it cannot be created or destroyed but rather altered, then perhaps the passage of space and time follows a set course until eventually the universe exhausts itself and falls back in to a singularity before combustion in to the next big bang? Perhaps it's an infinite loop whereby everything moves at the same time and speed throughout spacetime, forever repeating? Or perhaps the fundamental randomness of the big bang can create an infinite number of possibilities, meaning spacetime can massively differ? 

Or am I talking pish?