The Universe

Was hoping for Jim Hough, Martin Hendry and the Glasgow Gravitational Waves boys to get it, but two Scots winning here is not a bad substitute.

(banana: They won it for some theoretical work they did on the properties of extremely thin, small materials)

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't look good, they're trying to claim that losing the parachutes early and crashing was really a great victory for science though. Not sure how the engineers think. Here's a video of Stephen Hawking going to 5 of his favourite places. 

On 04/10/2016 at 12:43, Ranaldo Bairn said:

( They won it for some theoretical work they did on the properties of extremely thin, small materials)

Theories?  FFS.

maybe I can win one with my theory of why women are b*****ds and us men are so attracted to them.

• 4 weeks later...
I listened to a documentary on the universe on the radio last night.

They were discussing the two options of whether there was an edge to the universe or whether it was infinite. Even the expert asked the obvious questions on how the f**k are you supposed to wrap your head around it being infinite or if there is an end point of the universe, what is on the other side? Then they threw a third theory into the mix of our universe existing within a balloon shaped dimension along with an infinite amount of other universes within a multiverse.

Whatever the answer is, this was me after about 15 minutes of the show:

ezgif-1467669656.gif

I went through a bit of an existential crisis about 8-10 years ago thinking too much about this stuff, and where it places our planet and individual selves in context. You can use it too much as an excuse to not get shit in order as 'it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things'.
The additional level of mindfuckery is if this whole shebang, infinite or not, multiverse or not, is just some c**t's after-work game of something like No Man's Sky in the real universe, lying on his sofa in his skidmarked undies.

3 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I listened to a documentary on the universe on the radio last night.

They were discussing the two options of whether there was an edge to the universe or whether it was infinite. Even the expert asked the obvious questions on how the f**k are you supposed to wrap your head around it being infinite or if there is an end point of the universe, what is on the other side? Then they threw a third theory into the mix of our universe existing within a balloon shaped dimension along with an infinite amount of other universes within a multiverse.

Whatever the answer is, this was me after about 15 minutes of the show:

ezgif-1467669656.gif

Infinite I can just about deal with, but this is the bit that blows my mind when I think about it.

I've found its best not to think about it too much.

Wildest theory I heard was some weird one that theres two universes running parallel to each other, one going forward, one going backwards, but we might be the universe thats playing in reverse, but we just don't realise it, as which ever universe you were in would feel like the one playing the "correct" way. The "mirror universe theory" or something, read it a while back.

The wean was explaining the multiverse to me last night, like I was a small child. He's 10.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wildest theory I heard was some weird one that theres two universes running parallel to each other, one going forward, one going backwards, but we might be the universe thats playing in reverse, but we just don't realise it, as which ever universe you were in would feel like the one playing the "correct" way. The "mirror universe theory" or something, read it a while back.

When in Rome, do as the snamoR do.

Infinite I can just about deal with, but this is the bit that blows my mind when I think about it.

I think one idea is that there is no other side, the universe loops back on itself in 3D (universe's volume) like the earth loops back on itself in 2D (earth surface).

I doubt we could ever possibly understand the universe properly without being outside of it.

Good opportunity to (re)post Asimov's classic short story, The Last Question.

http://multivax.com/last_question.html

1 minute ago, banana said:

I think one idea is that there is no other side, the universe loops back on itself in 3D (universe's volume) like the earth loops back on itself in 2D (earth surface).

I doubt we could ever possibly understand the universe properly without being outside of it.

Good opportunity to (re)post Asimov's classic short story, The Last Question.

http://multivax.com/last_question.html

ah ok, thank you.