The Universe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SpaceX planning their second attempt at launching Starship from 1 pm, coverage on their website from around 12.30.

Some build up chat here starting soon, a few other people like NASASpaceflight and Everyday Astronaut covering too.

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

SpaceX planning their second attempt at launching Starship from 1 pm, coverage on their website from around 12.30.

Some build up chat here starting soon, a few other people like NASASpaceflight and Everyday Astronaut covering too.

"Starship" my @rse. Exactly which stars will it be travelling to?

Might as well call a Nissan Micra an "intergalactic mass population transit vehicle."

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Might as well call a Nissan Micra an "intergalactic mass population transit vehicle."

They can't call it GoUpAFewMilesAndBlowUpShip, too many letters.

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Apart from the Sun, it would take 73,000 years to travel to the nearest star...

https://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/features/cosmic/nearest_star_info.html#:~:text=If Voyager were to travel,take 4.22 years to arrive!

Rapid Unscheduled Disassemblies of both stages (they blew up but probably due to automatic self destruction because they'd exceeded mission parameters.). Improvement from first attempt in that separation of the stages looked successful before it went pear shaped. Not unexpected, it's how SpaceX do things, rapid iteration through real world experimentation which has the added bonus of letting us see huge things blowing up.

Edited by welshbairn

The commentators on both the official SpaceX feed and the one I posted took fucking ages to realise that both stages exploded, given that both happened on video right in front of them. At least a minute or two. Probably terrified that they'd say something silly and it was just the engines relighting or something.

Edited by welshbairn

The more often that these SpaceX rockets fail the more I start to believe the conspiracy theories that the moon landings were fake. 

Did Apollo 13 actually happen? 

Seems incredible that all these US moon missions with a fraction of the technological capability were more successful than these bozos. 

There is some guy on BBC news claiming this as some sort of success. Wtaf?

These guys would get destroyed on P&B. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/11/2023 at 15:46, Molotov said:

The more often that these SpaceX rockets fail the more I start to believe the conspiracy theories that the moon landings were fake. 

It's just a great example of what happens when you privatise something to the lowest bidder who inturn sub contracts to the lowest possible price = boom 💥

On 18/11/2023 at 13:24, welshbairn said:

Rapid Unscheduled Disassemblies of both stages (they blew up but probably due to automatic self destruction because they'd exceeded mission parameters.). Improvement from first attempt in that separation of the stages looked successful before it went pear shaped. Not unexpected, it's how SpaceX do things, rapid iteration through real world experimentation which has the added bonus of letting us see huge things blowing up.

Which is basically the same developmental methodology used by Korolev and his teams in the 50's & 60's.

32 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Which is basically the same developmental methodology used by Korolev and his teams in the 50's & 60's.

I heard years ago that at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis the Russians reckoned it was 50/50 whether their missiles would land in the right hemisphere. Not from Cuba to Miami obviously, thus the panic from the US.