Reasons to be Cheerful

Had Aberdeen, Accrington, Stoke, Blackburn and Wigan on for 140 and they were all winning with 10 to go and for first time ever I cashed out for 80 quid - then within 5 minutes 3 of them were level. Blackburn ended up winning but Aberdeen and Accrington didn't.

Met up wi Deeboy, guid c**t. He's blowing us out though, just when things are getting Speilberg.

ETA missing Adam though :(

And to think I passed through Dundee on the train yesterday, what a missed opportunity!

I was in my chariot for half nine last night, was asked to work for a few hours today so wanted to get in as early as possible to get home for a quiet afternoon, and all the systems are down. What a waste of time, going to head home shortly!

Think I've been off the fags for slightly over 3 weeks now, cold turkey - the longest I've gone without a cigarette in 8 years I think. Have gone 2 weeks before but always ended up caving or having one on a night out - crucially I never smoked despite stupidly going for drinks in the first week.

The cravings are becoming rarer and rarer - think the first few days saw me thinking about smoking on average once every minute or so (not kidding, I was about 15 - 20 a day)

The insomnia has been horrific - always been a nighthawk but I've been waking up after an hour or two's kip, then going back to sleep almost straight away, then waking up again an hour or two later and finding it harder to sleep etc. so I've been tired almost every waking minute, which is about an inch away from a living hell. Thankfully the insomnia and cessation related depression are easing up a lot now.

Been eating a power of shite since I can now taste food again, friends and family looking on with a combination of awe and disgust as I devour even the greasiest of chippies as though it were ambrosia. Will try to sort my diet/exercise out sharply but not sure I'm ready just yet, weird as that may sound - still finding a lot of comfort eating...

edit: away from the negatives, and for the rtbc part - holy christ I've saved a small fortune, fags are expensive enough now that even though I'm eating more I'm finding about £40 a week more than I'd normally have. Been working at weekends too so havent blown the savings on a night out either, its brilliant. My hygiene has improved since I no longer reek of smoke on my breath, clothes and while smoking it became quite easy for me to just say "ach, no point washing, ill just reek of smoke anyway" in an act of pure tinkiness. Feel a lot happier about myself and life in general.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Think I've been off the fags for slightly over 3 weeks now, cold turkey - the longest I've gone without a cigarette in 8 years I think. Have gone 2 weeks before but always ended up caving or having one on a night out - crucially I never smoked despite stupidly going for drinks in the first week.

The cravings are becoming rarer and rarer - think the first few days saw me thinking about smoking on average once every minute or so (not kidding, I was about 15 - 20 a day)

The insomnia has been horrific - always been a nighthawk but I've been waking up after an hour or two's kip, then going back to sleep almost straight away, then waking up again an hour or two later and finding it harder to sleep etc. so I've been tired almost every waking minute, which is about an inch away from a living hell. Thankfully the insomnia and cessation related depression are easing up a lot now.

Been eating a power of shite since I can now taste food again, friends and family looking on with a combination of awe and disgust as I devour even the greasiest of chippies as though it were ambrosia. Will try to sort my diet/exercise out sharply but not sure I'm ready just yet, weird as that may sound - still finding a lot of comfort eating...

edit: away from the negatives, and for the rtbc part - holy christ I've saved a small fortune, fags are expensive enough now that even though I'm eating more I'm finding about £40 a week more than I'd normally have. Been working at weekends too so havent blown the savings on a night out either, its brilliant. My hygiene has improved since I no longer reek of smoke on my breath, clothes and while smoking it became quite easy for me to just say "ach, no point washing, ill just reek of smoke anyway" in an act of pure tinkiness. Feel a lot happier about myself and life in general.

Well done.

PS if you start again I will demand a refund of the greenie!

Ew! You mink!

Well done though. I'm still not brave enough to try and quit yet.

I was once told (anecdotally, I don't know how true it is) that nicotine helps counteract the effects of caffeine so it's quite common for quitters to struggle with insomnia if they don't decrease their caffeine intake also.

Could be bollocks, I dunno. Whenever I've managed a decent length of time off the fags (pregnancy excluded) I've had soul-destroying insomnia and I drink tea and coffee like my life depends on it. It doesn't, of course. Other people's lives depend on my caffeine intake.

Missus sent me along to an Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking. It was a three hour seminar on the day of the smoking ban. Went along having assured the missus it was a pile of pish, utter mumbo jumbo and that I would be impervious to it as I had no desire to stop smoking. About an hour into it I realised I wasn't a smoker any more. Never touched a ciggy since (though I've had the odd rollup after a few bevvies recently, much to the annoyance of my missus).

Edited by Shandon Par

I've also started - now this is weird - grabbing a cigarette at my grans or my girlfriends (both of whom still smoke), putting it in my mouth, lighting the air really close to the ciggy... and then putting it back in the pack, unlit. Kind of an "I'm in control here" thing to get my addiction telt, I think. I do it pretty much at least once every time I go to eithers!

Missus sent me along to an Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking. It was a three hour seminar on the day of the smoking ban. Went along having assured the missus it was a pile of pish, utter mumbo jumbo and that I would be impervious to it as I had no desire to stop smoking. About an hour into it I realised I wasn't a smoker any more. Never touched a ciggy since (though I've had the odd rollup after a few bevvies recently, much to the annoyance of my missus).

I bought the book where it says early on not to stop smoking until you finish the book. Never did.

Well, its like Bert Racoon appearing on Sportscene giving the away fans the vickys, or Div regaling us with tales of hot tubs and supermodels on Off the Ball.

Wunfy in a bin on the news. Hes one of our own.

Im sure sleeping in a bin in an alcoholic stupor wasn't his finest moment in life.