Steam sales / general PC gaming chat

On 08/07/2020 at 16:42, Doctor said:

I've bought The Outer Wilds after hearing so much praise for it but I just don't think its for me, I'm not a huge fan of space themed games to start with and the style of the characters put me off a bit, still got 2 weeks to refund it though so will try and give it another fair shot given all the good things I've heard.

Also bought Halo: Master Chief collection. Yet to play it, feel a bit dirty to be honest 

The Outer Wilds felt like one of the most original and interesting games I've played in years but I had to admit I was just too dumb to complete it. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it though.

21 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The Outer Wilds felt like one of the most original and interesting games I've played in years but I had to admit I was just too dumb to complete it. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it though.

Did you ever play The Witness @NotThePars I felt similarly to how you describe Outer Wilds, especially in the fact I was just too dumb to complete it :D 

7 hours ago, Doctor said:

Did you ever play The Witness @NotThePars I felt similarly to how you describe Outer Wilds, especially in the fact I was just too dumb to complete it :D 

Played it for an hour or so. Didn't get far enough in to admit defeat on any puzzles more just was looking for a good story and from what I read it doesn't really have much of one? I get what you mean though.

I'm thinking about doing something stupid - pre-ordering an expensive collector's edition of a video game.

For those who've made this immense leap of faith before...do they generally take the money immediately, or does the money just come out of your account at a later date?

I'm basically asking if I'll have time to cancel if I wake up during the night in a cold sweat.

I'm thinking about doing something stupid - pre-ordering an expensive collector's edition of a video game.
For those who've made this immense leap of faith before...do they generally take the money immediately, or does the money just come out of your account at a later date?
I'm basically asking if I'll have time to cancel if I wake up during the night in a cold sweat.
I'd assume it's like any other pre order where you can cancel up until a day before they ship it.

There is a cracking wee program called parsec that lets you share your screen with a friend and accepts controller input from them. Great for an games especially where you can only normally play local coop e.g. emulations/ports of mega drive/snes etc 

22 hours ago, grumswall said:

I'd assume it's like any other pre order where you can cancel up until a day before they ship it.

...and for up to 14 days after receipt of goods, like any other distance sale. But yeah, they took the money up front, which was the bit I wasn't sure about, as I've never pre-ordered anything before.

£150. f**k it, I've been saying I'd get a collector's edition of this since it was announced.

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Received £90 of Steam vouchers for my birthday which, typically, is 10th July. Will no doubt spend half on the new F1.

When is your birthday atypically? Is it like Easter?

On 11/07/2020 at 18:43, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I thought you were better than this, Dave.

6 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I thought you were better than this, Dave.

I'm basically making up for the fact that I never had the opportunity to buy an edition of the original game with a Jeanette Voorman statue.

When this one turns out to be shite, I'll be left with a piece of plastic tat to remind me of my folly forevermore. That will be my punishment.

God help you if it's Bethesda and they're offering you a canvas cammo bag as part of the bundle.

Last year I preordered the First Class edition of the FF7R. It came with a scale model of Cloud on his motorbike and various other bits and bobs. Unfortunately I had to cancel my preorder but the money wasn't due to be taken until dispatch.

3 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

God help you if it's Bethesda and they're offering you a canvas cammo bag as part of the bundle.

We do have a mod on here with previous for pre-ordering Bethesda titles  :ph34r:

Thankfully not the Fallout 76 plastic bag edition. Although I'd love to have seen somebody's face after they finished their complaint about the bag and got down to actually playing the game  :shutup

11 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Last year I preordered the First Class edition of the FF7R. It came with a scale model of Cloud on his motorbike and various other bits and bobs. Unfortunately I had to cancel my preorder but the money wasn't due to be taken until dispatch.

Yeah, that's what I'd always heard happened.

Paradox, apparently, want that cash NOW, and my blood was not strong enough to resist their Dominate discipline. Damned Ventrue.

• 1 month later...
I must not buy Crusader Kings 3, I have too much too do.......I must not buy Crusader Kings 3, I have too much too do.....I must not buy Crusader Kings 3, I have too much too do.
image.png.451d7e4be53832baf7d2735df11109d8.png
..........dang it.

I’ve been sat on the page all day swithering as well. I stopped playing for a year after accruing *checks Steam* 2700 hours on CK2 and 1200 hours in EUIV but ofc a mate of mine let slip he was playing it and I’ve been suckered back in.

NVIDIA have just done their big reveal of the new 3000 GFX cards.
Apparently, the 3080 is twice as powerful as the 2080 [emoji33]
The 3090 is an interesting one as it's a professional card under the Geforce consumer brand. Then again the 2080ti was pretty much just a Titan card under a different name.