Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

31 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Although to be fair the pontiff’s side is rooted in two and a half millennia of imperialism so it’s difficult to see any good guys here

Interesting take, the Roman Empire may strongly object, the Roman Empire that is, not the Holy Roman Empire.

55 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Interesting take, the Roman Empire may strongly object, the Roman Empire that is, not the Holy Roman Empire.

To be fair the popes in Rome only formally assumed the title of Pontifex Maximus a long long time after kicking the pagans out  of Rome but in using it they’re claiming that legacy every time they tweet

• 1 month later...

Knuckle-dragging cretins from 'Armadale' (West Lothian) and every other bin parading through Glasgow city centre and blocking the main thoroughfare between the train stations, on the second Saturday before Christmas. 

They should either be banned from marching as a public nuisance or taken to Armadale to traipse around a field in this rain. 

On 13/07/2023 at 12:27, jimbaxters said:

For those who don't venture far on this site, ex-Junior club Johnstone Burgh who are currently in Tier 7 are splashing the cash. They announced the signing of Kyle Lafferty yesterday (12th July) then tried to say it was coincidence. Needless to say they're making lots of pals.

I went and watched East Craigie play Johnstone Burgh a few months ago and was slightly bemused to arrive at Keanie Park and see a Ferrari parked here :lol: 

image.thumb.png.2e3d4e44a0b2eb940f57d1952f4819bc.png

Don't think Lafferty played but Dorrans did. Assume it belonged to one of them.

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

I went and watched East Craigie play Johnstone Burgh a few months ago and was slightly bemused to arrive at Keanie Park and see a Ferrari parked here :lol: 

It's been stolen!

7 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Probably not an East Craigie player

Just now, carpetmonster said:

'it is old and it is beautiful and is made of fine gore-tex

from july through to january those catholics have us vexed'

The scarf, gloves and hat my father wore.

What a joy it has been to catch up with clips of the recent "Shutting Of The Gates" commemorations in Londonderry.

Thousands of members of the Apprentice Boys of Derry took part in an outstanding display of pageantry, as many more thousands of locals and tourists alike looked on.

They were, of course, remembering the events of the "Siege of Derry", where thirteen Apprentice workers closed the gates on the invading Jacobite force, refusing to surrender and eventually being saved by Sweet William.

Full parade below:

What was your favourite band and why?  I've always loved Londonderry's own "Churchill Flute Band" and even own a CD of them performing all sorts of hits, not just from the loyalist world, but popular culture too.  See below for some clips of this fine 'bawn' from last year:

Hopefully the bigots who have been posting negatively about this celebration take a chill pill.  Hatred will get you nowhere guys, but I suspect you're stuck in a rut in that regard.

Edited by DiamondDan

45 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

What a joy it has been to catch up with clips of the recent "Shutting Of The Gates" commemorations in Londonderry.

Thousands of members of the Apprentice Boys of Derry took part in an outstanding display of pageantry, as many more thousands of locals and tourists alike looked on.

They were, of course, remembering the events of the "Siege of Derry", where thirteen Apprentice workers closed the gates on the invading Jacobite force, refusing to surrender and eventually being saved by Sweet William.

Full parade below:

What was your favourite band and why?  

I've sat through a Wagner opera, the first half of one by Handel, my niece's bagpipe recital and listened to tales from a topographic ocean without being off my tits so it's not as if I'm a particularly impatient chap and I don't mind amateur folk music but 43 minutes of merely competent flute playing is a bit much even for my patience. 

Part of the problem is that it's all high frequency and snare with nothing filling out the mid range or bass. Even if they're right in front of you they still sound like they're playing on a crappy little radio

I know these are marching bands and some instruments are simply not practical but there's no real reason not to have a few bassoons in there to fill out the sound

image.thumb.png.24dd2f9104bf29053b32622927278012.png

Note

For the sake of ethnopolitical balance I should add that people who play the Bodhran are arseholes especially if they get shitty about how to pronounce it

I actually got treated to an impromptu bit of Culture at the weekend. I was on the Subway (for two stops) and was treated to a rousing rendition of Derry's Walls from an assortment of very drunken smelling north Irish men. After the first stop a subcrawl of young women got on and started shouting at them. After the second stop I left the carriage like I'd been shot out of a cannon. 

Still, I thought of @shull and the Walls and spent the whole four minutes trying not to burst out laughing, so I feel I left a winner.

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I've sat through a Wagner opera, the first half of one by Handel, my niece's bagpipe recital and listened to tales from a topographic ocean without being off my tits so it's not as if I'm a particularly impatient chap and I don't mind amateur folk music but 43 minutes of merely competent flute playing is a bit much even for my patience. 

Part of the problem is that it's all high frequency and snare with nothing filling out the mid range or bass. Even if they're right in front of you they still sound like they're playing on a crappy little radio

I know these are marching bands and some instruments are simply not practical but there's no real reason not to have a few bassoons in there to fill out the sound

image.thumb.png.24dd2f9104bf29053b32622927278012.png

Note

For the sake of ethnopolitical balance I should add that people who play the Bodhran are arseholes especially if they get shitty about how to pronounce it

Tales From a Topographic Ocean has some pieces of total genius amongst overly long padded out sections.

The above marching bands shit is truly awful and could be used to torture people.

22 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

Full parade below:

What was your favourite band and why?  I've always loved Londonderry's own "Churchill Flute Band" and even own a CD of them performing all sorts of hits, not just from the loyalist world, but popular culture too.  See below for some clips of this fine 'bawn' from last year:

Hopefully the bigots who have been posting negatively about this celebration take a chill pill.  Hatred will get you nowhere guys, but I suspect you're stuck in a rut in that regard.

No footage of the burning of Lundy?!

Or maybe that takes place at another ABOD occasion? 🤔 

15 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

Tales From a Topographic Ocean has some pieces of total genius amongst overly long padded out sections.

But imagine how much worse it would be like if Howe , Squire and Wakeman were so low in the mix and you basically just heard Jon Anderson's high vocals and Alan White's Drums. That's the sound that flute bands go for as a matter of course