Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

What a joy it has been to catch up with clips of the recent "Shutting Of The Gates" commemorations in Londonderry.

Thousands of members of the Apprentice Boys of Derry took part in an outstanding display of pageantry, as many more thousands of locals and tourists alike looked on.

They were, of course, remembering the events of the "Siege of Derry", where thirteen Apprentice workers closed the gates on the invading Jacobite force, refusing to surrender and eventually being saved by Sweet William.

Full parade below:

What was your favourite band and why?  I've always loved Londonderry's own "Churchill Flute Band" and even own a CD of them performing all sorts of hits, not just from the loyalist world, but popular culture too.  See below for some clips of this fine 'bawn' from last year:

Hopefully the bigots who have been posting negatively about this celebration take a chill pill.  Hatred will get you nowhere guys, but I suspect you're stuck in a rut in that regard.

Edited by DiamondDan

45 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

What a joy it has been to catch up with clips of the recent "Shutting Of The Gates" commemorations in Londonderry.

Thousands of members of the Apprentice Boys of Derry took part in an outstanding display of pageantry, as many more thousands of locals and tourists alike looked on.

They were, of course, remembering the events of the "Siege of Derry", where thirteen Apprentice workers closed the gates on the invading Jacobite force, refusing to surrender and eventually being saved by Sweet William.

Full parade below:

What was your favourite band and why?  

I've sat through a Wagner opera, the first half of one by Handel, my niece's bagpipe recital and listened to tales from a topographic ocean without being off my tits so it's not as if I'm a particularly impatient chap and I don't mind amateur folk music but 43 minutes of merely competent flute playing is a bit much even for my patience. 

Part of the problem is that it's all high frequency and snare with nothing filling out the mid range or bass. Even if they're right in front of you they still sound like they're playing on a crappy little radio

I know these are marching bands and some instruments are simply not practical but there's no real reason not to have a few bassoons in there to fill out the sound

image.thumb.png.24dd2f9104bf29053b32622927278012.png

Note

For the sake of ethnopolitical balance I should add that people who play the Bodhran are arseholes especially if they get shitty about how to pronounce it

I actually got treated to an impromptu bit of Culture at the weekend. I was on the Subway (for two stops) and was treated to a rousing rendition of Derry's Walls from an assortment of very drunken smelling north Irish men. After the first stop a subcrawl of young women got on and started shouting at them. After the second stop I left the carriage like I'd been shot out of a cannon. 

Still, I thought of @shull and the Walls and spent the whole four minutes trying not to burst out laughing, so I feel I left a winner.

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I've sat through a Wagner opera, the first half of one by Handel, my niece's bagpipe recital and listened to tales from a topographic ocean without being off my tits so it's not as if I'm a particularly impatient chap and I don't mind amateur folk music but 43 minutes of merely competent flute playing is a bit much even for my patience. 

Part of the problem is that it's all high frequency and snare with nothing filling out the mid range or bass. Even if they're right in front of you they still sound like they're playing on a crappy little radio

I know these are marching bands and some instruments are simply not practical but there's no real reason not to have a few bassoons in there to fill out the sound

image.thumb.png.24dd2f9104bf29053b32622927278012.png

Note

For the sake of ethnopolitical balance I should add that people who play the Bodhran are arseholes especially if they get shitty about how to pronounce it

Tales From a Topographic Ocean has some pieces of total genius amongst overly long padded out sections.

The above marching bands shit is truly awful and could be used to torture people.

22 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

Full parade below:

What was your favourite band and why?  I've always loved Londonderry's own "Churchill Flute Band" and even own a CD of them performing all sorts of hits, not just from the loyalist world, but popular culture too.  See below for some clips of this fine 'bawn' from last year:

Hopefully the bigots who have been posting negatively about this celebration take a chill pill.  Hatred will get you nowhere guys, but I suspect you're stuck in a rut in that regard.

No footage of the burning of Lundy?!

Or maybe that takes place at another ABOD occasion? 🤔 

15 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

Tales From a Topographic Ocean has some pieces of total genius amongst overly long padded out sections.

But imagine how much worse it would be like if Howe , Squire and Wakeman were so low in the mix and you basically just heard Jon Anderson's high vocals and Alan White's Drums. That's the sound that flute bands go for as a matter of course

• 1 month later...

The Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland have reported Hibernian football club to the police for refusing to confiscate Hibs fans flag depicting "no entry to Orangemen" this according to them is the latest in what they consider a campaign against them by the Scottish Government, every council and Police Scotland.

Can an organisation have a hate crime against them? They seem to think so.

19 minutes ago, 101 said:

The Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland have reported Hibernian football club to the police for refusing to confiscate Hibs fans flag depicting "no entry to Orangemen" this according to them is the latest in what they consider a campaign against them by the Scottish Government, every council and Police Scotland.

f**k the Orange Lodge. A horrible off branch of the human species

29 minutes ago, 101 said:

Possibly not any more but while it was In force the offensive behaviour at the football act criminalised

“behaviour which “expressed” or “stirred up hatred” against individuals or groups on the grounds of their membership or presumed membership of (i) a religious group (ii) a social or cultural group with a perceived religious affiliation, or (iii) their nationality or ethnic or national origins where this behaviour was also “likely to incite public disorder”

The orange order obviously satisfies the 2nd category and you could argue the 3rd one as well 

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/12058393/orange-lodge-stonehaven-march-aberdeenshire-donnottar-castle/

Marching Season seems to be starting early this year and in Stonehaven of all places! That’ll be a good fun day for all the family on March 16th.

Apparently it’s to commemorate the memory of 167 people imprisoned in 1685!

10 hours ago, deegee said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/12058393/orange-lodge-stonehaven-march-aberdeenshire-donnottar-castle/

Marching Season seems to be starting early this year and in Stonehaven of all places! That’ll be a good fun day for all the family on March 16th.

Apparently it’s to commemorate the memory of 167 people imprisoned in 1685!

But before that the Emirates Tri Nations series kicks off in Dubai Tomorrow when the hosts play Canada, the joint oldest international cricket team in the world.

Scotland play Canada on Friday which will also be our first step on the road towards qualification for the 2027 World Cup

Wed 28 Feb UAE vs CAN
Fri 1 Mar CAN vs SCO
Sun 3 Mar UAE vs SCO
Tue 5 Mar UAE vs CAN
Thu 7 Mar CAN vs SCO
Sat 9 Mar UAE vs SCO

On the basis of rankings we should be looking for a clean sweep here but playing in a desert against a bunch of pasty faced Scotsmen should mean that our Hosts have a significant home field advantage

Meanwhile just up the road our Irish neighbours are also in Dubai facing Afghanistan at the "Tolerance Oval" in an actual Test Match

Participants in this thread with strong Orange or Green sympathies will obviously be rooting for an Irish victory but the romantics amongst us will struggle not to be swept up in the Romance of the Afghan miracle

10 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

But before that the Emirates Tri Nations series kicks off in Dubai Tomorrow when the hosts play Canada, the joint oldest international cricket team in the world.

Scotland play Canada on Friday which will also be our first step on the road towards qualification for the 2027 World Cup

Wed 28 Feb UAE vs CAN
Fri 1 Mar CAN vs SCO
Sun 3 Mar UAE vs SCO
Tue 5 Mar UAE vs CAN
Thu 7 Mar CAN vs SCO
Sat 9 Mar UAE vs SCO

On the basis of rankings we should be looking for a clean sweep here but playing in a desert against a bunch of pasty faced Scotsmen should mean that our Hosts have a significant home field advantage

Meanwhile just up the road our Irish neighbours are also in Dubai facing Afghanistan at the "Tolerance Oval" in an actual Test Match

Participants in this thread with strong Orange or Green sympathies will obviously be rooting for an Irish victory but the romantics amongst us will struggle not to be swept up in the Romance of the Afghan miracle

Afghanistan should currently be banned from international cricket. Hope Ireland pump them.