Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Turns out that I "won the day" on P&B on July the 12th by having the most greenies on that day.

Nice of you all to arrange the parades for me. Not a fan though.

What kind of a website would display such cultural insensitivity as to allow the issue of green circles on the glorious 12th? Div is the real bigot here. 

32 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

If there ever was a definitive way to spot a c**t it would be participation in an Orange Walk.

Thank you.

Everybody I know who takes part in these are life's losers. There are no exceptions.

The guy who used to stay two doors up from me was a member and took part in these things. At one of the parades he was at the front carrying a cushion with a crown on it. Imagine being a grown man and going in to work on Monday and when asked what you did at the weekend saying I played dress up and walked about with a cushion with a crown on it.

2 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Everybody I know who takes part in these are life's losers. There are no exceptions.

The guy who used to stay two doors up from me was a member and took part in these things. At one of the parades he was at the front carrying a cushion with a crown on it. Imagine being a grown man and going in to work on Monday and when asked what you did at the weekend saying I played dress up and walked about with a cushion with a crown on it.

How do you become an Orangeman. Is there a test or something? And once you have achieved this status, what's your responsibilities. Is there a motto or something, that members aspire to. A code of conduct perhaps. What's the glue that bonds you guys together? 🤷

On 13/07/2023 at 20:43, Aim Here said:

There's one P&Ber I know of that has repeatedly opined the utterly bizarre notion that the Williamite War had anything to do with democracy (centuries before democracy was ever a thing in the British Isles), and that's the dearly departed @The_Kincardine, who was emptied a couple of weeks before you joined the site. Any relation?

He had a perverse understanding of that time in history. He used to big up the Glorious Revolution in Scotland despite it being a major contributor to the Seven Ill Years, a period of famine in the 1690s that saw at least a tenth of the Scottish population starved to death.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_ill_years

9 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

To be honest it’s the northern Irish people who don’t believe in Dinosaurs that I’ve got more issues with

There should be a thread.

My favourite Dino is Quetzalcoatlus.

Size of a Cessna.

211208164610-02-pterosaur-quetzalcoatlus

8 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

A movement of positivity and inclusivity

right enough 

Why don't like folk crossing the road? Even the worlds biggest cycling race doesn't stop you from crossing the road between groups mad thing to get locked up for assault over.

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

Why don't like folk crossing the road? Even the worlds biggest cycling race doesn't stop you from crossing the road between groups mad thing to get locked up for assault over.

Oddly, they don't seem to accept "It's my traditional route" as an excuse for crossing the road...

7 hours ago, GTee said:

How do you become an Orangeman. Is there a test or something? And once you have achieved this status, what's your responsibilities. Is there a motto or something, that members aspire to. A code of conduct perhaps. What's the glue that bonds you guys together? 🤷

Drink vast quantities of Tango?  Become a brain donor?

9 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

right enough 

As bad as each other. He's desperate to kick it off and they don't need much encouragement to kick off. Luckily the polis were quick to get in there. 

8 hours ago, GTee said:

Aye there's a test- exams in school.

Fail and get a free pass into the orange order.

14 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

right enough 

I like the Nazi colour scheme they've went with.

Not Orange (well kind of), but the Royal Black Preceptory held their annual 13th event at Scarva.  Check out the following link for pics.

Scarva Sham Fight 2023: Huge crowds enjoy the Thirteenth parade - 28 fantastic images | Belfast News Letter

The "sham fight" has been taking place for a long time.  See below for the 1959 fight.

Many had tipped James to win this year's event, bit William was again triumphant.

1_130723JP1Scarva025JPG.jpg

Twelfth of July 2023: Sham Fight and 13th of July celebrations take place in Scarva and Bangor - Belfast Live

Full 13th parade below.

What was your favourite band on display?  And what preceptory was turned out the best?

Edited by DiamondDan

6 hours ago, bennett said:

As bad as each other. He's desperate to kick it off and they don't need much encouragement to kick off. Luckily the polis were quick to get in there. 

Good statement from the band here.

Silver Plains Flute Band from North Antrim responds to confrontation with male wearing GAA top during Twelfth of July parade in Ballycastle as Sinn Fein MLA Philip McGuigan calls for meeting with Parades Commission | Belfast News Letter

Sinn Fein milking it for all it's worth :D

54 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

Not Orange (well kind of), but the Royal Black Preceptory held their annual 13th event at Scarva.  Check out the following link for pics.

Scarva Sham Fight 2023: Huge crowds enjoy the Thirteenth parade - 28 fantastic images | Belfast News Letter

The "sham fight" has been taking place for a long time.  See below for the 1959 fight.

Many had tipped James to win this year's event, bit William was again triumphant.

1_130723JP1Scarva025JPG.jpg

Twelfth of July 2023: Sham Fight and 13th of July celebrations take place in Scarva and Bangor - Belfast Live

Full 13th parade below.

What was your favourite band on display?  And what preceptory was turned out the best?

Drumderg Loyalists look phenomenal.

27 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You really don't get why they would select black and tan as a colour scheme for reasons a lot closer to home?

To play dress-up like the RIC.

The mainstream RIC wore dark green like the RUC. The "black and tans" were special constables hired from former WWI soldiers across the UK to bolster RIC numbers in what became the Free State pre-partition. Don't have the greatest reputation among Irish republicans but are viewed more positively by Ulster Unionists for obvious reasons. Querying whether that was the most sensible thing to wear during a potentially contentious parade through a Roman Catholic majority town like Ballycastle would be a valid enough point. Bringing the Nazis into it is just bizarre. Do you really think people in NI have fond memories of the Nazis after what the Luftwaffe did to Belfast in 1941?

Edited by LongTimeLurker