The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

Seeing this tonight, I'm doing quite well at avoiding most of the spoilers. I now look forward for someone to do a Homer Simpson after he seen The Empire Strikes Back, and talk about the ending of the film when I'm about to ender the screening. :lol:

Few stories of Perth IMAX crashing halfway through the showing last night.

Yeah crashed about an hour in and we were sent home

Film was OK up to that point as far as generic space films go but not really star wars. Hoping the next hour I have not seen is where the amazing stuff happens.

this being my first 3d movie I have seen I can say it's not for me, felt totally disconnected and couldn't focus on the whole spectacle... I'm hoping this lead to my sense of underwhelment

Edited by Shaggy Jenkins

Yeah crashed about an hour in and we were sent home

Film was OK up to that point as far as generic space films go but not really star wars. Hoping the next hour I have not seen is where the amazing stuff happens.

this being my first 3d movie I have seen I can say it's not for me, felt totally disconnected and couldn't focus on the whole spectacle... I'm hoping this lead to my sense of underwhelment

Haha my friend did that leaving the cinema today...he was equally disgusted with himself. What a movie though, 9.5/10 for me, had pretty much everything: a few moments to make you grin and some moments to leave you genuinely speechless.

For those that have seen the movie:

I saw a "spoiler" on a Sky Sports football post 1 hour before seeing Star Wars that Chewbacca was killed...I was furious...but it made the scene where Han is killed all the more potent as I was fully expecting Chewy to get shot...I might start telling people Chewy dies as genuinely added to the movie!!

3D or 2D for this? Usually like 3D but sometimes it's a bit pointless so what's the script here?

It was the last 3d film I'll be going to see.

In general, after the novelty of the trailers, the effect has worn off, & your brain has adjusted, by the time your sucked in to the feature.

I think the 3d fad has had its day.

Saw it today. Was excellent. Much better than the prequels and easily one of the best Star Wars films. BB - 8, Finn and the new characters were all excellent additions. Rey was fucking brilliant.

Does anyone know who the Scottish guy was? (Can't remember his character's name).

It was the last 3d film I'll be going to see.

In general, after the novelty of the trailers, the effect has worn off, & your brain has adjusted, by the time your sucked in to the feature.

I think the 3d fad has had its day.

Seen it first in 2D, decided to see it again in 3D today. I have to say I much preferred the 2D.

Just back from watching it in Dundee. Enjoyed it, a return to form for Star Wars after the truly awful prequels. Good casting, particularly Ridley, Driver and Isaac. Hayden Christensen in the prequels, was Lucas drunk?

Location based stuff was also excellent, while the CGI stuff was good without being too in your face.

ETA: watched it in 2D, doubt 3D would add anything to the film.

Edited by Desert Nomad

The handy guide to "Should I Go And See A Film In 3D?":

1) Is it IMAX 3D?

2) Is it Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity?

If the answer to (1) and (2) is Yes, then go and see the film in 3D.

If the answer to either or both questions is No, then do not go and see the film in 3D.

Edited by yoda

I saw it in 3D and couldn't recommend it to anyone. It was the first 3D movie I had seen in a long time and all it really did was make the movie darker which was incredibly annoying. We got into the movie a minute or so before it started so my eyes were still adjusting to it for the title crawl so I was struggling to read it. Thankfully seeing it in 2D tomorrow.

The Force Awakens becomes the fastest ever film to make $1bn beating Jurassic World's record by a day. It has broken every box office record going. Depending on what source you take it may not have beaten Jurassic World's opening weekend take globally, but the most lucrative foreign market is China, and The Force Awakens doesn't open until January there.

It opened in fewer cinemas than Jurassic World too. It has already surpassed the revenues of all previous Starwars films, but still has a long way to beat Starwars in the adjusted for inflation totals.